FreeBSD Screen Shots

Exwm_work.png

o if this isn't right, please let me know and I'll fix it! Any rate, I'm a newish FreeBSD user (played with the version just before DragonFly BSD, but nothing serious ). This was easy to set up, and minimalist - just like I like it!

Desktop: Exwm (Emacs Window Manager)
Wallpaper: Matrix_Beastie
Programs: Firefox, Eshell, Spectacle(for the Screenshot)

SO far, FreeBSD has been easier than either Arch or Gentoo (yeah, I'm a long time linux user) and seems to be more powerful!

I still think the MOST IMPORTANT feature of X11 (maybe apart from displaying a web browser) is the ability to display multiple terminals at once :cool:

Ever so tiny update to my x11-wm/fvwm3-based "desktop", now using good old x11/xterm instead of x11/rxvt-unicode after I was unable to find the cause of a sudden font rendering issue :rolleyes:.

Well, rendering is now "perfect" while there were always minor glitches with urxvt, but only after enabling xterm's forceXftHeight option, whatever that does... just glad it works again 🙈

1671093200212.png

edit: cool, even the "powerline"-glyphs finally render correctly using xterm. Who needs alternative X terminal emulators? :D

1671106259188.png

is the ability to display multiple terminals at once
Exactly! 100% agree.

Finally a useful screenshot again, to see different terminal windows at once,
instead of "who's posting the most fanciest background picture".... 😒

Exactly! 100% agree.

Finally a useful screenshot again, to see different terminal windows at once,
instead of "who's posting the most fanciest background picture".... 😒

What I always do is use Aero Snap for terminal windows so they don't overlap. In MATE you can snap directly to the four corners of your screen like in this example:
Screenshot at 2022-12-29 16-27-20.png

Suppose you need even more windows, you can switch workspaces because you have four workspaces. That way you never have overlapping windows and it never looks cluttered.

In PeKWM you can easily configure yourself to which exact location the windows snap when pressing a custom key combination, for refined control. And you are almost unlimited in your possibilities.
Openbox does not have the Aero Snap feature.

I made some screenshots for you and I removed the wallpaper:
Screenshot at 2022-12-29 15-57-45.png

Screenshot at 2022-12-29 15-59-40.png
Screenshot at 2022-12-29 16-13-53.png
Screenshot at 2022-12-29 17-05-24.png

I think this GUI is very similar to macOS.

for terminal windows so they don't overlap
Yeah, this also bothers me.
I've set my xterms in fvwm2 to be opened fullscreen (I don't like it, when windows open by default somehow silly partially [even I know it's the standard])
But when I need more than one terminal (almost always 😅) I'm fumbling to get them arranged manually.
I'm pretty sure there is a solution by editing the .fvwm/config...
pressing ctrl-3 open three terminals... but I'm so damnd lazy 🤭

So I'm not the only guy with this 'prob' - there are solutions!
Thank you for giving me hints in the right direction!

But when I need more than one terminal (almost always 😅) I'm fumbling to get them arranged manually.
If this is your main thing that matters to you I would actually recommend using i3 or awesome.

Both have automatic tiling. With awesome wm you can easily switch to floating if desired.

How I remember it is that awesome wm has a lot of preconfigured schema's for automatic tiling.
You can switch the schema in a second while using awesome, depending on what suits you best at the time.

awesome lacks a maximize&minimize button.
You can easily hide/show apps by using the taskbar. I mean you can make the window appear or disappear like this.

Strictly speaking, it does have a maximize button on the title bar.
It doesn't have a minimize button, but the taskbar has the same function, so that doesn't seem like a hindrance to me.

I am speaking about the behavior in 'floating' mode.

You can change the size of a window by holding down the right mouse button on the title bar.
awesomewm ultimately has all the main functionality of classic floating windows desktops, but with the ability to use 12 tiling schemes when needed.

An issue with awesomewm is that it doesn't have OSS4 audio on FreeBSD by default in Chromium.
In other apps the audio works fine. Sometimes it works in Chromium too, but not always in my experience.

I've set my xterms in fvwm2 to be opened fullscreen (I don't like it, when windows open by default somehow silly partially [even I know it's the standard])
awesomewm seemed like a suitable WM (for you), but I researched it a bit further and found the following issues:

- No audio in Chromium when you open a new session and have not yet played audio with another app. You can solve it by first playing audio with another app.
- It is touted as a faster WM but it uses a lot of lua which is slow. It has low performance in games when used in combination with unagi: https://www.phoronix.com/news/MTY2MzE

You can also give importance to how many resources the WM uses. Even with window managers there are sometimes differences:

Now for memory (RAM) usage (in KB): mcwm -- the wm 2bwm is based upon
dvtm -- a terminal multiplexer

~ > ps -eo args,size,vsize,rss
mcwm 300 2480 668
2bwm 296 2672 728
9wm 296 3816 1160
cwm 584 7044 3308
bspwm 304 2872 964
dwm 300 5400 1384
monsterwm 304 3708 1008
herbstluftwm 316 5536 1844
herbstclient --idle 312 5204 1224
ctwm 708 7112 2360
twm 964 6820 2552
i3 1400 14760 4248
openbox
1952 16412 736
dvtm 5624 9656 6256
fbpanel 3460 135928 14012

- No audio in Chromium when you open a new session and have not yet played audio with another app
Nope, window manager has nothing to do with audio. (just some start pulse-audio, which nobody wants)

I still think the MOST IMPORTANT feature of X11 (maybe apart from displaying a web browser) is the ability to display multiple terminals at once :cool:

Ever so tiny update to my x11-wm/fvwm3-based "desktop", now using good old x11/xterm instead of x11/rxvt-unicode after I was unable to find the cause of a sudden font rendering issue :rolleyes:.

Well, rendering is now "perfect" while there were always minor glitches with urxvt, but only after enabling xterm's forceXftHeight option, whatever that does... just glad it works again 🙈

View attachment 15238

edit: cool, even the "powerline"-glyphs finally render correctly using xterm. Who needs alternative X terminal emulators? :D

View attachment 15240
what is the font ?

Back