FreeBSD Screen Shots

Back in "red" ;D
I only need to find a way to use webcam mic. on iridium browser and I can stay forever with FreeBSD!

Attachments

• 2020-02-13-20:30:06.png
    2020-02-13-20:30:06.png
    94.1 KB · Views: 516
I believe I have posted a much earlier version in the past but the following screenshots are of "Pavelock". Our remote UNIX access system for students based on FreeBSD and Jails.

login.png
jail.png
desktop.png

All a student needs to access it is a VNC client or a web browser (via noVNC). What is really nice is that we can provide "precanned" Jails to the students with all the software necessary for our units. That means we can also fix software ourselves rather than logging a ticket with IT services and never getting any work done.

We have various amounts of OpenGL support. Not quite enough for Unreal Engine 4. However Blender works great, as does Quake III.

The desktop environment itself is a fairly custom blend of Gtk+ utilities, ranging from lxde to xfce but with lots of patches to fix all the broken crap (and to make it look consistent).

Simple lxde-meta

A long time ago I used to spend many hours a day writing code on a DOS system (Microsoft PC not IBM Mainframe) where I configured it to have salmon colored text on a slate gray slightly blue background. Similar to your screen shot.

It worked fine for me with adequate contrast for many weeks. However I eventually found that when I would look away from the screen and across the room that the entire room was grayscale with no color for a second or two.

I took the hint that the colors I had chosen probably weren't good for my eyes and changed the color scheme.

Some rules for color selection(as far as I know)
  1. Don't rely on color and not brightness.
  2. Don't use blue for small things.
  3. Light on dark usually works best.
Expansion welcome

It worked fine for me with adequate contrast for many weeks. However I eventually found that when I would look away from the screen and across the room that the entire room was grayscale with no color for a second or two.

I took the hint that the colors I had chosen probably weren't good for my eyes and changed the color scheme.

If the time you look at the screen is short and you are a laptop, there is no problem, since the screen is mostly occupied by applications, browser, etc.
However, if you spend too much time looking at a large screen, 4K screens are recommended to go out to a patio, park or something that is green or shades of green, since green makes the view restful and does not irritate.
I was told by a professional iron/aluminium welder and it is really true.

Some time ago I tried some of these KDE extras installed via sysutils/plasma5-discover. They were all missing something, like icons or such. Now I use the traditional Air+Oxygen theme with a random picture of the day background image from Unsplash Wallpapers & from Wikimedia Commons for the screensaver.

I find it pretty amusing that the author uses red and green on a page about web accessibility... given that about 6% of the male population has Deuteranopia (red-green color blindness). Of course, the author does make the point later in the article, but uses green liberally. interesting article nonetheless :).

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
I wonder if there is a theme fixing those Gnome 3 style inconsistencies.
Unlikely. Mainly because theme authors know that any time and effort spent fixing this kind of stuff will be broken next release. The development style of GNOME-like desktops these days means that polish is not possible.

Back