FreeBSD Screen Shots

FreeBSD is definitely the only OS I've ever used that calmed my blood pressure rather than raise it. LOL

Have you seen how much KDE is slow, and full of popup, and limitations to freedoom.
Pulseaudio locks the sound forever, man, it reminds me the Web or an Android phone, popup, ads, click to confirm, like winrar on windows, millions popups, and so slow.

The heck is that 50% at least of desktop sofwares are shared and available for BSD and Linux.
BSD should not have anything crap that comes from/runs on Linux, to avoid risks of having a similar system.

I had to laugh at that tedbell: I have to use Windows 10 at work and I am constantly cussing and fighting with its idiosyncrasies., plus those of the office suite I am also forced to use. I am always at peace when off work and logged into my FreeBSD machine :)
Bring a PI at your work, place it on your desktop, use it on your PC ;)

Use FreeBSD live in anycase of survival !!!

FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE-p9
Thinkpad W520
Intel Quad Core i7-2760QM (2.40GHz, 6MB L3, 1600MHz FSB, 45W)
8 GB RAM PC3-10600
HITACHI Travelstar 500GB HDD @7200 RPM
Nvidia Quadro 1000M with 2GB DDR3 and 96 CUDA cores with Optimus Technology
15.6" TFT display with 1920x1080 (FHD) resolution with LED backlight

Hi hukadan !
I like your desktop its cool as it gets !
Thank you. You don't need to use bold. I can read you.
I have some questions what is sterm ?
From their website : "st is a simple terminal implementation for X."

And can you achieve tearing free desktop using compton ?
IIRC, I could not. Here my /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-nvidia.conf file :
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    Option         "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0 {ForceCompositionPipeline=On, ForceFullCompositionPipeline=On}"
    Option         "AllowIndirectGLXProtocol" "off"
    Option         "TripleBuffer" "on"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "true"
EndSection
See here for more details concerning tearing problems with nvidia cards : https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/howto-setup-xorg-with-nvidias-driver.52311/#post-312833

Have you installed any patches or something ?
I only applied alpha patch and remapped the key shortcuts for azerty.

Can windows became fullscreen like for example videos on youtube ?
Just tried: yes.

No, haven't tried so far. But I have an old IBM T40 where I installed NetBSD few weeks ago. I've not yet configured a DE/WM but when I have the time I will take a look at CDE.
I am sure that you are very happy with NetBSD. Does it run well?
I have several machines with :NetBSD: Cool one.

Is Unix motif or sort of fvwm, kde or gnome? what is it actually on your screenshot?

FreeBSD showing Fluxbox, XFE, Gkrellm2, URXVT and XMMS with Gimp for the shot.

All my laptops in the screenshots I've posted are set up with the same basic desktop config. I have sysutils/gkrellm2, x11/rxvt-unicode and x11-fm/xfe open with .xinitrc. Depending on screenspace I usually open another instance of urxvt at the bottom to work from running top till I need it. I always open multimedia/xmms and listen to music once I get started.

All those programs stay open for easy access the whole time I'm at the desktop. When compiling ports I exit Fluxbox to the login terminal and work from there.

Back