FreeBSD Screen Shots

9KGUY4l.png

UeH2WbJ.jpg
Is that a Xfce base?

I've mirrored it now also onto my FreeBSD desktop. Just a single visual difference that distinguishes the two. The key point of the post being the manner/method to get a borderless/title free desktop terminal session (Eterm and jwm commands/parameters).

If you want to be pedantic then your own last posting is more of a IBM desktop, and any screenshot of base FreeBSD would be a cli.

Mods have warned people who posted OpenBSD screenshots in the past that this thread was for posting screenshots of FreeBSD desktops only. Yours isn't even a shot of a BSD desktop, it's a Linux desktop and a continuation of your promotion of Debian in a FreeBSD forum.

My screenshot is of FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE with an IBM Thinkpad wallpaper due to it being a Thinkpad T61. You do know the difference in a wallpaper, computer and a computer Operating System, don't you?

Not to mention a FreeBSD and Debian forum.

Mods have warned people who posted OpenBSD screenshots in the past that this thread was for posting screenshots of FreeBSD desktops only. Yours isn't even a shot of a BSD desktop, it's a Linux desktop and a continuation of your promotion of Debian in a FreeBSD forum.

My screenshot is of FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE with an IBM Thinkpad wallpaper due to it being a Thinkpad T61. You do know the difference in a wallpaper, computer and a computer Operating System, don't you?

Not to mention a FreeBSD and Debian forum.
I've made it perfectly clear I multi boot different choices of desktop systems, and for evaluation purposes have set up two to look identical. You do know what identical is don't you? They are even more identical now as I had been running OpenOffice in the Freebsd version, versus LibreOffice in the other, whereas they're both now using the same choice of Office.

"Debian GNU/kFreeBSD and ubuntuBSD are not FreeBSD derivatives, they are a FreeBSD kernel with GNU/Linux userland. No FreeBSD developers or programmers are involved in these products. Topics about Debian GNU/kFreeBSD and ubuntuBSD should not be posted on these forums. We will only deal with the FreeBSD kernel in combination with the FreeBSD userland."

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/7290/

I would assume "Topics about Debian" includes posting Linux screenshots in a thread that is clearly titled "FreeBSD Screen Shots", but I'm not a Mod and will let them decide what is and is not acceptable in a FreeBSD forum.

I do, however, have the option to put you and your posts promoting Debian on ignore.

I agree with Trihexagonal. The title of this thread is FreeBSD Screen Shots so it should be about FreeBSD, not debian. Even if you made it look the same with the same desktop environment or window manager. This would be like if I talked about pizza in a thread about dessert. They are both food but they are different.

I don't have just one workspace. Plus shutter is broken on 11.0-RELEASE right now. So, I built a script with bash, xdotool, and maim to capture all of them. Then ran the captures through ImageMagic montage to stitch them all together. Unfortunately the result is HUGE. Much too large to upload here. So, I put it on my file share site:

workspaces.png

If you expand that here, you will have to pan it with scroll bars. :D The URL to the file is: https://files.eracc.org/uploads/workspaces.png

View attachment 3829

My Thinkpad X61 with 4:3 screen ratio running Fluxbox, Gkrellm2, Eterm, Xfe, and XMMS.

A bit constrained for my liking at that screen ratio but sweet none the less.

Man, you made it, so cool, yet so light and comfortable

FVWM Vertex theme
1. Install GTK Vertex theme:
# pkg install automake autoconf pkgconf gtk-murrine-engine
% git clone https://github.com/horst3180/vertex-theme --depth 1 && cd vertex-theme
% ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local
# make install

2. Install x11-themes/lxappearance and choose Vertex theme.

3. Download attached zip archive (fvwm.zip) and extract .fvwm/ dir to your home dir (~/.fvwm).

4. Install and start FVWM: # pkg install fvwm, % startx /usr/local/bin/fvwm2.
View attachment 3890

Thank you very much for the detailed walkthrough, you made me curious, I think I'll give FVWM a try as soon as I can

Anyway, I've always been using JWM, Mate XMonad or Cinnamon since Gnome 3 release (awful in my opinion).
Mate is probably the one I use more often, followed by JWM. Here's a screenshot of a Mate Desktop I've just set up on a recently custom-built Desktop (i5 7500 as you can see, 250 Gb M.2 SSD, Nvidia Geforce 1060, enough to eat up my all of my savings). I edited the ./.xinitrc file in order to make xorg launch xclock, print/gtklp +irc/irssi, audio/mps, www/newsbeuter and misc/linm (all within x11/rxvt-unicode), using the '-geometry' option (urxvt(), xinit()) to adjust position and dimensions of boxes.
A 'command' applet (widget showing custom command's output) on the default (top) panel shows Cpu's temperature, using sysctl() and coretemp().
I linked the default mate-start-button file to a bsd-logo-like .png file, in order for it to appear on the top-left corner, next to applications' menu, instead of the mate default logo. Icon-theme (Obsydian-Red-SemiLight) has been taken from github: https://github.com/madmaxms/iconpack-obsidian

Screenshot at 2017-09-09 00:34:59.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I like jwm for the simplicity of configuring everything in the one file (startup programs, windows decorations, layout ...etc.) and the flexibility it provides. My preferred core is xorg, jwm, pcmanfm and I use pcmanfm --desktop to provide desktop icons in addition to being the file manager.

I don't tend to use menus, instead I use desktop icons and the bottom left where the menu icon might usually be is just a showdesktop control (toggle). I also have a tray menu that opens the applications folder up for other less regularly used programs. Anything else I invoke either by pressing the Special_R (right WIN key) that pops up a run program dialog, or I use the desktop ... that I have predominately set to be a terminal session (xterm). I have little desire for pretty picture wallpapers, as I can just open up some pretty pictures interactively if I feel the urge.

For a borderless xterm I use a .jwmrc group entry of
Code:
<Group>
    <Name>xterm</Name>
    <Option>nolist</Option>
    <Option>noborder</Option>
    <Option>notitle</Option>
    <Option>sticky</Option>
</Group>
and I invoke xterm using
Code:
<StartupCommand>xterm -uc -geometry 90x24+2+90</StartupCommand>
which is obviously tuned to my specific choice of screen resolution.

396 packages installed in total, most of which are installed as part of xorg and apache openoffice (under FreeBSD I find that works better for me than LibreOffice (that I've been a long term user of)).

I have tended to use brightside hot corners to set one corner to showdesktop by mousing into that corner, however under FreeBSD I've found that doesn't always work well (tends to core dump periodically) so I became a little annoyed with that and just reverted my habitual tendency towards going for the bottom left corner click to show the desktop. One nice aspect of brightside I sometimes miss however is the ability to drag a item to the hot corner that reveals the desktop and then continue dragging to drop that onto one of the desktop icons that opens it with that program.

Often my base idle desktop looks like

Man, you made it, so cool, yet so light and comfortable

Thanks. I never change the wallpaper on that machine and it sits on a table by my recliner and serves as my MP3 player. I just bought a new pair of Koss PRO4AAT Titanium full-sized headphones especially for use with it.

I use a lightweight pair of Koss KTXPRO1 Titanium open ear headphones to listen to music while I'm online and at $20 a pair they sound better than my $100 Bose earbuds.

Thanks. I never change the wallpaper on that machine and it sits on a table by my recliner and serves as my MP3 player. I just bought a new pair of Koss PRO4AAT Titanium full-sized headphones especially for use with it.

I use a lightweight pair of Koss KTXPRO1 Titanium open ear headphones to listen to music while I'm online and at $20 a pair they sound better than my $100 Bose earbuds.

I know what you mean, and I keep a pair of cheap headphones constantly plugged too. I commonly use audio/mpg123 or multimedia/mpv to listen t o mp3 tracks; multimedia/mplayer to connect to online radio stations (for a little while I used tunapie, before it became deprecated); www/youtube_dlto download videos; audio/cmus to play compact disks; multimedia/mps-youtube, to stream songs & playlists from youtube. I doubt you haven't tried it, though, were that the case, I would recommend it to you. It's an awesome port (fast, clean, does one thing and does it well), to the point I have it launched most of time on any system of any computer. Better than having Spotify installed with wine.

I wish to point out I wasn't aware of the existence of sysutils/gkrellm2 and after having tried, i have to admit it's really nice. What I've been doing till know:
- I used to add a 'Command' Applet to my Main Panel, running
Code:
sysctl -n dev.cpu.0.temperature.
with coretemp() enabled, in order to monitor cpu temp, or sysutils/xmbmon daemonized with -P switch (if dealing with an AMD).
- iostat() always running in xterm to monitor devices
- sysutils/atop to monitor processes.
-mail/mutt-lite with a 60s mail_check refresh rate
Amazingly, Gkrellm2 seems to roughly cover much of the job by itself.

I like jwm for the simplicity of configuring everything in the one file (startup programs, windows decorations, layout ...etc.) and the flexibility it provides. My preferred core is xorg, jwm, pcmanfm and I use pcmanfm --desktop to provide desktop icons in addition to being the file manager.
I don't tend to use menus, instead I use desktop icons and the bottom left where the menu icon might usually be is just a showdesktop control (toggle). I also have a tray menu that opens the applications folder up for other less regularly used programs. Anything else I invoke either by pressing the Special_R (right WIN key) that pops up a run program dialog, or I use the desktop ... that I have predominately set to be a terminal session (xterm). I have little desire for pretty picture wallpapers, as I can just open up some pretty pictures interactively if I feel the urge.

Rufwoof, a perfect example of the flexibility you're speaking about lays in the fact I actually rather holding a more classical environment, with a bottom bar, an application menu accessible on the left corner, and some useful shortcuts on desktop; thus my JWM build somehow reminds LXDE, and more specifically resembles the JWM configuration Puppy Linux uses by default, to which it's inspired. I might post it later on.
Nonetheless your desktop seems original, simple but intriguing, so you did well posting it here

396 packages installed in total, most of which are installed as part of xorg and apache openoffice (under FreeBSD I find that works better for me than LibreOffice (that I've been a long term user of)).

Well, even if you relied only on ports, 396 it's still spartan for a system designed for desktop use + apps, and for my experience its a notable goal. An old pc, and a slow connection would really benefit from such a build. I tend not to care to much about the number of ports installed, and as a result, waste more time every time a system upgrade requires a whole-ports' reinstall.

I've made it perfectly clear I multi boot different choices of desktop systems, and for evaluation purposes have set up two to look identical. You do know what identical is don't you? ....

I apologize for stepping between, but I wanted to say that for me there's no need to argue further on that. We all know that any DE/Window Manager can be perfectly comfortable if correctly configured. It's worth looking up a screenshot of a Linux Distro's that natively implies a specific desktop to see how good it is. What's more,performing a google Images research, seeking -let's say- Blackbox, will give back tons of fantastic examples, undermining the very existence of this thread.
I think the thread was opened instead with the purpose of showing if and how those WMs/DEs can be set in a FreeBSD environment, if FBSD can exploit and take advantage of any of their features, and whether any of them shows a clear pro over the other in this particular system; and apart from the nice idea of sharing one's own desktop, I think these are the other reasons for which this thread is still actively attended after years.

...for a little while I used tunapie, before it became deprecated...

I miss tunapie and was looking for it just the other day...

No, I haven't actually tried multimedia/mps-youtube. If it's a song I like I download it and use multimedia/vlc to convert it to an .ogg file and add it to my digital music collection. I rip all my CD's with audio/asunder so I can listen to them with multimedia/xmms. There is a multimedia/xmms-skins-huge port with hundreds of skins for it to fit any desktop theme.

I've used sysutils/gkrellm2 for years and really like it. Don't miss astro/gkrellmoon2 and misc/gkrellweather2 if you're using it.

BTW, there are 191 skins for sysutils/gkrellm2, too. I'm using one of the glass skins. Just download them and extract them manually to the /home/username/.gkrellm2/themes folder.

Thank you very much for the detailed walkthrough, you made me curious, I think I'll give FVWM a try as soon as I can
Soon, when it'll be finished, I'll upload improved configuration,
that includes menu icons and nice dock (using FvwmButtons module), so no need in additional apps, like lxpanel.
YDrR0tJ.png

I also used to use many WM-s, but FVWM2, IMHO, is really the best stacking WM (never liked tiling WM-s),
it is very customizable, you can configure it to work exactly as you wish, it is extremely stable,
never noticed even minimal bugs, also it is very lightweight and easy on resources.
As cons, it is not easy to configure it if you use it first time, but when you know
how its configuration file and modules work, it is very easy to do anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
So FVWM is even a litle bit more lightweight than Fluxbox.
But I think this chart shows FVWM memory usage with all its modules loaded,
without them it shouldn't use much more than TWM, as originaly
it was designed as a more lightweight TWM replacement.
Also it shows that Window Maker is more lightweigh than FVWM, but I, as an ex Window Maker user :),
can say that FVWM works much faster (and much more stable) than wmaker. So likely it really shows FVWM with some of its modules loaded,
like FvwmButtons, FvwmPager... etc, here is full list http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/doc/fvwm/html/modules.html.

Back