FreeBSD Screen Shots

Oh, I specifically avoid those options (exec etc.) because of the CPU churning although in theory I guess it wouldn't be expensive. I don't like the idea of stuff that runs all the time using up CPU when I am not doing anything. I found some screensavers drive my box harder than my normal workload! For example I hardcoded Slackware instead of using exec with uname -a because that kind of data doesn't change. Obviously if you have data that does change or some other reason, it probably is good to use exec.

randux said:
Oh, I specifically avoid those options (exec etc.) because of the CPU churning although in theory I guess it wouldn't be expensive.
That depends what you run there of course ;)

For example I hardcoded Slackware instead of using exec with uname -a because that kind of data doesn't change.
You need info on what OS you are running currently? :)

Also always amazed me why people display Linux kernel version with conky-like utilities, does it change so often that you need to monitor it? :)

randux said:
Obviously if you have data that does change or some other reason, it probably is good to use exec.
All the things that I display in exec changes, here it is: http://pastebin.com/kC3Mq1DD ;)

vermaden said:
That depends what You run there of course ;)

You need info what OS You are running currently? :)

Yes because I used to have so many machines and so many VMs I couldn't keep track of where I was!

vermaden said:
Also always amazed me why people display Linux kernel version with conky-like utilities, does it change so often that You need to monitor it? :)

No, but I can't always remember it because I used to have many multiboot systems (not as many now since I have more machines now and less VMs and less multiboots) and if I make screenshots or try to help people or get help, it's good if the system info is available on the screen ;)

randux said:
if I make screenshots or try to help people or get help, it's good if the system info is available on the screen ;)

I keep info about FreeBSD release as FreeBSD advertisement, when I make screenshots :D

Here's what my netbook (hence the small screen!) currently looks like. I didn't bother firing up a whole bunch of apps just to show off though, there's an aterm and that's about it.

bb.jpg

Fonz

Lately I've been using more and more xmonad, however fvwm is still more flexible.
However playing with xmonad provided me with new ideas and inspiration.

So for my fvwm config to keep up, I implemented these ideas.
Some of them turned out to work better on fvwm, than on xmonad :)

Ladies and gentleman, hold your breath:

Notice how opera takes almost entire screen (this works for any app on www desk):

However on any other desk, any app will not cover pager, when maximized.
This feature is implemented in pretty simple manner, when you switch to desk, fvwm function check desk number and then sets basestruts accordingly

On second screenshot you I also explain my xmobar data.
I had suddenly good idea, how to make fvwm communicate with xmobar (to use xmobars stdinreader). I wrote function that formats string for xmobar stdinreader and pipes it to fifo. When I start xmobar I start it with $ tail -f fifo | xmobar.
Works pretty well :)

App execution path, is one of many things I got inspired from xmonad (XMonad.Layout.WorkspaceDir module), Whit dmenu (3rd screenshot) I can select some directory, in which all apps will be executed.

For this to work, I set environment variables in fvwm, using FvwmCommand, I then have function, that reads these env variables, cd to them, and execute commands.
App execution paths are set per desk. This excellent feature for developing :)

in 4th screenshot you see dmenu as app launcher. I liked this concept in xmobar so much, that I almost ereased my fvwm app menus. However I decided to hold my horses for a while.
Note: now I rarely use fvwm menu to start apps.

Switching between xmonad and fvwm made me want to make both look and act same, so I started new repository called wmscripts. Here I add scripts, that I share between WMs

fvwm config: http://hg.bsdroot.lv/aldis/dot.fvwm/
wmscipts (required): http://hg.bsdroot.lv/aldis/wmscripts/
I also move lots of app starting from WM to .xinitrc

If anyone is interested in my config or have any questions, send me post mail

nekoexmachina said:
Shame im too lazy to configure all that fluxbox and fvwm2 stuff.
There are ready-to-go configs to be found all over the Web. I didn't write the Blackbox config for the screenshot above from scratch, I found it somewhere and I think the font even came with it, too. All I had to do was adding the background image (wallpaper in Windows speak), which I also found somewhere on the Web.

The Fvwm2 config on my main machine is much more handmade and I'll post both a screenshot and the corresponding config file when I've finished it.

Regards,

Fonz

fonz That ready-to-use configs will not be comfortable for me and still will need some polishing and reconfiguring, which Im to lazy to do. Its not that interesting as any of other activities I could use my time for.
The only reason Im using KDE3 now is that I've lost my ion3 config while having .kde backuped about a year ago with all needed things configured. :)

Back