FreeBSD Screen Shots

cra1g321 said:
The way you have the dock on the left for shortcuts, then having the tint2 panel along the top with dzen.
Ahh, that you say, well, dzen2 is here for the first time, it was always conky's job ;)

vermaden said:
Ahh, that you say, well, dzen2 is here for the first time, it was always conky's job ;)

So you replaced conky with dzen2? I'm having occasional issues with conky; it freezes, disappears, etc.
In the spirit of sharing, any chance for your dzen2 setup please? :)

bbzz said:
So you replaced conky with dzen2?
I'm having occasional issues with conky; it freezes, disappears, etc.
That is why I got rid of that unstable piece of shit.

bbzz said:
In the spirit of sharing, any chance for your dzen2 setup please? :)
Of course, it's even on the screenshot in the right terminal window ;)

But here is the latest verison: http://pastebin.com/2dJGW2Vj

USAGE: put these into ~/.xinitrc or elsewhere:
Code:
while sleep 2
do
  echo -n ' '
  dzen.sh
done | dzen2 -fn '-*-fixed-medium-*-*-*-*-100-*-*-*-*-iso8859-2' -bg "#333333" -ta l -x 1 -y 1 -h 9 -w 1438 &

vermaden said:

Of course, its even on the screenshot in the right terminal window ;)

But here is the latest verison: http://pastebin.com/2dJGW2Vj

USAGE: put these into ~/.xinitrc or elsewhere:
Code:
while sleep 2
do
  echo -n ' '
  dzen.sh
done | dzen2 -fn '-*-fixed-medium-*-*-*-*-100-*-*-*-*-iso8859-2' -bg "#333333" -ta l -x 1 -y 1 -h 9 -w 1438 &

If you want, you can adopt this script:
http://hg.bsdroot.lv/aldis/dot.xmonad/file/tip/bin/colorload.sh
to get colorful PC load

You can see screenshots in this post (Top left)

@vermaden
Thanks; really nice and simple. Too bad for conky but it's just broken (damn I've spent so many hours writing perfect conky setup).
Oh, please share script for nic bandwidth upload/download, or anything that will same me from writing that stuff again. :e

Xmonad vs Openbox...hmmm. I'm not sure I can part with all *box goodies.

Oh, another thing. What would be the easiest way to setup different timer for specific function (without adding new instance). Basically, I have this python script that checks for gmails, but I'd like it to be on a longer timer than default, something like 5 min.
I see people recommend 'dmplex' extension to dzen, but I don't think it's part of FreeBSD ports?

bbzz said:
@vermaden
Thanks; really nice and simple. Too bad for conky but it's just broken (damn I've spent so many hours writing perfect conky setup).
Oh, please share script for nic bandwidth upload/download, or anything that will same me from writing that stuff again. :e

Xmonad vs Openbox...hmmm. I'm not sure I can part with all *box goodies.

Oh, another thing. What would be the easiest way to setup different timer for specific function (without adding new instance). Basically, I have this python script that checks for gmails, but I'd like it to be on a longer timer than default, something like 5 min.
I see people recommend 'dmplex' extension to dzen, but I don't think it's part of FreeBSD ports?

You can write if then with counter in your loop, so your script can be executed once every 5 (or any other number) cycles in vermaden's script

killasmurf86 said:
You can write if then with counter in your loop, so your script can be executed once every 5 (or any other number) cycles in vermaden's script

I tried that, but it ends up overwriting whatever is inside dzen bar already; text ends up alternating in bar. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. There must a more elegant way to specify many different timers without resorting to this?

You probably have newline at the end of output of that line, you should remove it with tr like vermaden did in other parts of script.

Here's a config of Fvwm I did today to kill some time.

It's pretty basic. Button bar in upper left for commonly used applications, a basic root menu and a taskbar like icon manager. I launch lesser used applications via an xterm or grun.

fvwm-woomia-small.png

Larger image here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9102829/fvwm-woomia.png

bbzz said:
@vermaden

Similar situation is with I/O measuring, You have to 'measure' it at least for a second, so You will put ifstat or systat -if 1 in the background to write to some file under /tmp and then cat that file parsed for only needed data under dzen, same for I/O (iostat).

I gave up on fighting with DZEN2 that supposed to be a 'better CONKY' but thanks to killasmurf86 who showed me the XMOBAR (XMONAD little brother) I managed to 'port' my recent DZEN2 config to XMOBAR and viola! ;)

vermaden said:

You mean conky? I run 1.7.2 of conky 24 hours a day on my Slackware boxes and have zero problems. I wonder why the FreeBSD version is no good...

randux said:
vermaden said:

You mean conky? I run 1.7.2 of conky 24 hours a day on my Slackware boxes and have zero problems. I wonder why the FreeBSD version is no good...

Yes, conky.

I recently messed with dzen2 and xmobar, I was quite comfortable with xmobar ... but the ghc and all dependencies needed to only stary plain xmobar is ... about 800MB :/ Dunno if OpenOffice.org takes that much.

... so I tried a different aproach with conky this time, I always created 'conky rules' like ${cpu ...} and ${mem ...} and so, but that ended in unstable conky behaviour, random crashes after some time of usage etc.

So now I the only 'conky variables' that I use are ${color ...} and ${execi ...} to execute my commands as I did with dzen2/xmonad ... and this seems to be working as it works flawlessly at the moment.

Conky is generally known to have various memory leaks (like with ${io ...} option) and is generally not that stable as torsmo once was.

vermaden said:
Yes, conky.

Conky is generally known to have various memory leaks (like with ${io ...} option) and is generally not that stable as torsmo once was.

Here is the configuration from my main Linux desktop that runs all week with no memory leaks. I've used more or less the same one for about the last 5 years.
Code:
background		no
use_xft			yes
xftfont			Courier:size=12
double_buffer		yes
update_interval		2
alignment		top_right
gap_x			10
gap_y			10
no_buffers		yes
minimum_size 		365x500
pad_percents		3

TEXT
${color #ffff00}${alignc}Uptime: $uptime
${alignc}$utime UTC

${color #ff0000}Slackware-13.0 with $kernel kernel
Mobo:  ${platform w83627ehf.2576 temp 2}C   Fan: ${platform w83627ehf.2576 fan 2} RPM
$entropy_avail bits of entropy avail. in $entropy_poolsize bit pool
$entropy_bar

${color #ffff00}${exec uname -p}
${cpubar cpu1}
CPU0:  ${platform coretemp.0 temp 1}C ${cpu cpu1}% used
CPU1:  ${platform coretemp.1 temp 1}C ${cpu cpu2}% used
${cpubar cpu2}
${cpugraph}

${color #ff0000}Memory: $mem in use of $memmax avail.
${membar 8}
Swap: $swap in use of $swapmax avail.
${swapbar 8}

Disk Status:
/       ${fs_used /} in use of ${fs_size /} avail.${alignr}${fs_used_perc /}%
${fs_bar 8 /}
/home   ${fs_used /home} in use of ${fs_size /home} avail.${alignr}${fs_used_perc /home}%
${fs_bar 8 /home}
/tmp   ${fs_used /tmp} in use of ${fs_size /tmp} avail.${alignr}${fs_used_perc /tmp}%
${fs_bar 8 /tmp}
/usr/local   ${fs_used /usr/local} in use of ${fs_size /usr/local} avail.${alignr}${fs_used_perc /usr/local}%
${fs_bar 8 /usr/local}
/var/spool   ${fs_used /var/spool} in use of ${fs_size /var/spool} avail.${alignr}${fs_used_perc /var/spool}%
${fs_bar 8 /var/spool}

${color #ffff00}Network Status:
eth0 download: ${downspeedf eth0} KB/sec ${alignr}${totaldown eth0} total
${downspeedgraph eth0}
lo download: ${downspeedf lo} KB/sec ${alignr}${totaldown lo} total
${downspeedgraph lo}
${color #ff0000}eth0 upload: ${upspeedf eth0} KB/sec ${alignr}${totalup eth0} total
${upspeedgraph eth0}
lo upload: ${upspeedf lo} KB/sec ${alignr}${totalup lo} total
${upspeedgraph lo}

${color #ffff00}Process          PID     %CPU    %MEM
-------------------------------------
${top name 1} ${top pid 1}  ${top cpu 1}  ${top mem 1}
${top name 2} ${top pid 2}  ${top cpu 2}  ${top mem 2}
${top name 3} ${top pid 3}  ${top cpu 3}  ${top mem 3}
${top name 4} ${top pid 4}  ${top cpu 4}  ${top mem 4}
${top name 5} ${top pid 5}  ${top cpu 5}  ${top mem 5}

My config is useful for me without that. Is that the only variable that causes memory leaks? Because you said "like with ${io ...}".

I didn't like torsmo so I settled on conky. I'm not saying something else isn't better, only posting my config that works and doesn't cause problems for me. Maybe somebody can use it. If not, not. I didn't mean to argue with you, if that's what you thought I apologize.

@randux

No problem mate, no offence from me either, I remember the ${io...} option to be problematic and caused the the leaks on my box, don't know about other options that also are problematic, I would like to use torsmo ... but it does not have exec/execi/execp options ;)

Back