FreeBSD Screen Shots

Screenshot_2023-10-29_10-29-22.png

Moving the other way round: Running macOS on FreeBSD..
View attachment 17295
Just a heads up, you can only do double-nested virtualization with VirtualBox, and you do need a ton of metal to achieve anything workable. 32 GB of RAM on the base (host) is barely adequate. I'd know, I tried. And even then, if you have 64-bit VirtualBox on FreeBSD host, inside a Mac guest, only a 32-bit VirtualBox VM is even possible. Plus you have to keep track of hotkeys, they do need to be different for each level of virtualization...

Just a heads up, you can only do double-nested virtualization with VirtualBox, and you do need a ton of metal to achieve anything workable. 32 GB of RAM on the base (host) is barely adequate. I'd know, I tried. And even then, if you have 64-bit VirtualBox on FreeBSD host, inside a Mac guest, only a 32-bit VirtualBox VM is even possible. Plus you have to keep track of hotkeys, they do need to be different for each level of virtualization...
Fortunately it isnt about double-nested virtualization, its merely the window of the successful installation of VBoxDarwinAdditions.pkg. For the time being that was enough 😅

how did you achieve that?
where did you get the macos image?
If you or someone else have a Mac you can use hdiutil to convert a .dmg to an .iso file. Maybe you can sign up for the macOS beta testing but Im not sure you'll get an .iso and it might be only for the newest release candidat. To install the catalina guest in virtualbox I had to fiddle with some VBoxManage settings and installing the guest additions required a little bit research. But it is running and not necessarily inferior than a BSD guest.
Since no guide on the web was sufficient, I took some notes of the steps if your'e interested?

If you or someone else have a Mac you can use hdiutil to convert a .dmg to an .iso file. Maybe you can sign up for the macOS beta testing but Im not sure you'll get an .iso and it might be only for the newest release candidat. To install the catalina guest in virtualbox I had to fiddle with some VBoxManage settings and installing the guest additions required a little bit research. But it is running and not necessarily inferior than a BSD guest.
Since no guide on the web was sufficient, I took some notes of the steps if your'e interested?
That's interesting but still I would need a valid copy of x86 MacOS which I don't have.

2023-11-24-162210_1920x1080_scrot.png

The multiple layers of transparency came about as an accident from toying with picom, but I quite like it. Focused apps obviously don't have any, that would be super annoying. Firefox is unfocused in this image. Also, the text is much more legible irl than in the screenshots.

I've been having so much fun configuring the system, this is also my first time running FreeBSD as my main OS. Very cool stuffs.

Back