FreeBSD Screen Shots

Good old Motif

scr-0803-183956.png

With mwm, some applications open up at ~200% the screen width. I think Blender is one example.

You can set something like Blender*maximumClientSize in the Xdefaults file to fix that.

Some more info here:

http://osr507doc.sco.com/en/GECG/X_MwmRes_WinGeom.html
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/aix/7.1?topic=m-mwm-command
Didn't DE's like KDE, GNOME and MATE come about as a response to users not wanting to spend all their available time on just getting displays under control? I think this thread is a nice showcase for FreeBSD - yes, you can have perfectly polished DE's and stunning graphics, but people who enjoy the DIY and tinkering aspect of simple window managers are also welcome to show off what FreeBSD is capable of. Everybody gets a place at the table.

Didn't DE's like KDE, GNOME and MATE come about as a response to users not wanting to spend all their available time on just getting displays under control?

Kind of. It was more the underlying standards like the ICCM and later EWMH that tried to do this (under the freedesktop umbrella).

Motif's Mwm (and OpenLook's OLWM) actually lead the way with their early (albeit ad-hoc) standards compared to base X11 support which was very limited. They were good but also a little limited so EWMH and ICCM came along. Unfortunately the modern KDE and Gnome projects don't really care about any standards that aren't from freedesktop.org and rather to replace instead of building ontop, so many of their underlying toolkits are becoming broken when it comes to things like Mwm.

The only WM I have seen that has almost 100% correctness of the various standards is OpenBox.

TL;DR; Old software works fine with older WMs. New software less so.

Edit: Section "17.2.3 The Shell's Icon" from the Mwm docs here is so cool. basically programs can animate the icon of minimized windows (i.e animated mailbox flag rising if mail arrives) in a really elegant way. Modern alternatives are getting even further away from allowing this functionality.

Working on my Qtile setup.

Attachments

• 2023-08-13-152653_3840x2160_scrot.png
    2023-08-13-152653_3840x2160_scrot.png
    799.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 2023-08-13-152715_3840x2160_scrot.png
    2023-08-13-152715_3840x2160_scrot.png
    78.1 KB · Views: 161
  • 2023-08-13-152757_3840x2160_scrot.png
    2023-08-13-152757_3840x2160_scrot.png
    125.5 KB · Views: 155
sway - disabled tabs on firefox so everything is just works with tabbed sway mode.

swaybar is only visible when mod key is pressed (super key)

20230814_003147.png

How is the Budgie Desktop? It is caped like Plasma and Gnome?
I have been surprised. It looks beautiful. But simple and efficient. Much simpler than Plasma and Gnome. But as it is dependent on gnome I am using programs from there, so some cruft is left over. But a nice experience. I have been using XFCE for a long time. But Budgie does have what I need and not much more. So I have switched my desktop for now

It does - I tried it on 13.1-RELEASE, though, which is prolly EOL by now, and I'm seeing complaints about stuff not working right on 13.2-RELEASE 🍿
Hi, I've just tried it (Budgie) on FreeBSD 13.2 and 14.0-alpha1 out of curiosity, and it seems to work well, after following this tutorial to the letter (no login manager here).

(Edit : sorry, you were asking about Sway, I understood Budgie, my bad).
(Edit 2 : asking forgiveness : I've just tried wayland/sway/xwayland on FreeBSD 13.2 (Intel Integrated GPU) and it works, after following the handbook, with one change : I set XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/somewhere/in/my/home/directory; using /var/run/user/uid or /tmp was failing).

mcwm.jpg

MCWM on dual monitors - Firefox window is resized in left screen, playing anime movie which is in fullscreen mode in that window. That's what's good about this WM, that I can play videos and put them in the corner so I have enough room to do other tasks. Deadbeef and osdmixer are for show.

I like that I can treat mcwm like a floating window manager, when I use hotkeys with the mouse for basic window moving/resizing functions. multimedia keys with sxhkd and thingylaunch are also convenient for any window manager.

Back