FreeBSD Screen Shots

After some absence I'm back taking my FreeBSD medicine on this new HPiece XD
FreeBSD is great on these corporate HP nc6400 laptops.

rstrcogburn said:
After some absence I'm back taking my FreeBSD medicine on this new HPiece XD
FreeBSD is great on these corporate HP nc6400 laptops.

Hey, nice to see you here man. I have to thank FreeBSD for my new job, starting this March.

Daisuke_Aramaki said:
Hey, nice to see you here man. I have to thank FreeBSD for my new job, starting this March.

Congrats on your new job PK. Have you recovered from that appendicitis yet? Nice batman screenie BTW. Yeah, I'm a little wet behind the ears around the FBSD FreeBSD forums. I was using FBSD FreeBSD exclusively until December of 2010 then switched to Debian with a job. LOL, funny how that works. Besides you and Vermaden, I don't know anyone else around here so, thanks for the shoutout. Peace.:h

I haven't posted a screenie for quite some time:-

http://devio.us/~kpedersen/bunix/mdm.png

Basically it is a modified Motif Window Manager which displays it's minimized windows in a bar (which only shows when the mouse is over so doesnt get in the way of tmux etc...) rather than the icon boxes which don't look so good because the icons never fit these days.
An xterm is used as the desktop background rather than a picture ;)

This thing also comes with a login manager so it pretty much emulates logging into a raw tty except it is actually running inside X.

Anyone can try it out here: svn export [url=svn://public.sanguinelabs.co.uk/mdm]svn://public.sanguinelabs.co.uk/mdm[/url]

I really want to update the window manager part of it to use a lite version of metacity but is going to be a massive job reducing the dependencies metacity has on... everything.

@rstrcogburn
Thanks mate. Yes, I feel much better now. You will get to know people around here eventually. So just hang around. Nice Bebop avatar.

@kpedersen

Awesome coincidence! I was talking to my colleague about raii just this afternoon. Nice one by the way. I will give mdm a test run.

kpedersen said:
I haven't posted a screenie for quite some time:-

http://devio.us/~kpedersen/bunix/mdm.png

Basically it is a modified Motif Window Manager which displays it's minimized windows in a bar (which only shows when the mouse is over so doesnt get in the way of tmux etc...) rather than the icon boxes which don't look so good because the icons never fit these days.
An xterm is used as the desktop background rather than a picture ;)

This thing also comes with a login manager so it pretty much emulates logging into a raw tty except it is actually running inside X.

Anyone can try it out here: svn export [url=svn://public.sanguinelabs.co.uk/mdm]svn://public.sanguinelabs.co.uk/mdm[/url]

I really want to update the window manager part of it to use a lite version of metacity but is going to be a massive job reducing the dependencies metacity has on... everything.

Thats pretty awesome.

woomia said:
Thats pretty awesome.

Cheers :)

Whilst working on OpenCDE I kinda got used to the command line for *everything*.

The same look can kinda be achieved with a tiling WM but then it is pretty useless for developing GUI applications. At least MWM adheres to (and pioneered) most of the unix desktop WM standards.

One question, is there a way to not have an xterm running as the background at startup? Say if I wanted a picture instead?

woomia said:
One question, is there a way to not have an xterm running as the background at startup? Say if I wanted a picture instead?
Are you still talking about OpenCDE or something else?

The Xorg port includes xsetroot which can set plain colors and images. Surely there are other applications.

But this has nothing to do with Xterm running in the "background". If Xterm is running every time you're starting X, then you must have included it in ~/.xinitrc or similar, or you're not using any configuration file and X is falling back to its default which runs TWM, Xclock and Xterm IIRC.

My first time on freebsd FreeBSD.

Screenshot.png

• Thanks
Reactions: zhl
@yoxter where you found this wallpaper?
Also... jdownloader?
Code:
ember /usr/ports $ make search name=jdownloader
return me nothing. Your lights please :)

sk8harddiefast said:

Correct me if I am wrong, if Jdownloader is a standard Java app, shouldn't it work on FreeBSD if you have java installed on your machine? I personally have never used it, but I am just curious.

sk8harddiefast said:
@yoxter where you found this wallpaper?
Also... jdownloader?
Code:
ember /usr/ports $ make search name=jdownloader

I'm not sure, but I believe I saw this wallpaper on 4chan on w/

Back