FreeBSD Screen Shots

Thanks.
Is that one in FreeBSD ports?
How does your urxvt font configuration look like if you don't mind please.
I've been looking for a terminus font replacement.

bbzz said:
Thanks.
Is that one in FreeBSD ports?
How does your urxvt font configuration look like if you don't mind please.
I've been looking for a terminus font replacement.

Envy Code R is not in ports. However, it is a free font. You can get it here

DPI, hinting settings are defined in my .Xdefaults in the following way.

Code:
Xft.dpi: 96
Xft.antialias: true
Xft.hinting: true
Xft.hintstyle: hintfull
Xft.rgba: rgb

Cairo, freetype2 and libXft are all default builds, devoid of any patches for hinting, lcd etc.

Envy Code R looks good only with full hinting on my machine. Play around with the settings.

If you want the so called "smooth" fonts, globally, you can rebuild the aforementioned packages with multiple patches.

Hope that helps.

I'm using fvwm2 and FreeBSD 8.2. Just minimalistic desktop: no disturbing elements, only wallpaper and gkrellm.

j4reck05012011.th.jpg

Slightly old, but only recently have I found a decent host for huge desktop shots. (Or atleast they appear to be decent so far.)

Damn I sure love x11-wm/openbox. Not only does it work well, but by being able to right click anywhere, and get my menu, it saves mouse movements back and forth to a taskbar/application menu. Have been in motorcycle wrecks over the years, etc, and my right arm/hand just hurts a lot of the time anymore.

You can also set up x11-wm/transset-df with x11-wm/openbox to be able to ctrl+scroll the titlebar and set the transparency on windows individually. In 3Ds Max, sometimes a person will set an image on a plane, and use the line tool to trace it. I can just open an image in graphics/mirage and drop it behind my emulators/virtualbox-ose window with a slight transparency, and trace it that way. Saves time, and I can flip through images easier, rather than setting up multiple planes, or going back into the material editor each time.

Put together a tiny script, and inserted it in my .config/autostart.sh to overclock my Nvidia card. Normally runs at 500/800, am running at 601/1001. Temps and info shown in sysutils/conky. Without the script, the overclock isn't persistent across reboots.

Recently went in and redone my /etc/X11/xorg.conf, x11/nvidia-xconfig had originally set up my monitors for 1080P, and I was having to overscan to get a fill. Set the modeline, and a few other things, getting dot to dot now.

Random, but if youre buying a LCD TV for PC use, make sure it supports 4:4:4 Chroma. Am loving my new dual 40"s, but I'm not bragging, and I rarely spend cash on myself, was my Christmas present to me.

But most of all, I love FreeBSD! It just works so well, and after how smooth the recent updates/upgrades to 9.0-RELEASE went, am very pleased. Posted awhile back about upgrading, and thought I might not bother, but I think it was the jump from 7.2-8.0 which gave me a little trouble last time.

Clicky for large.

Dru said:
But most of all, I love FreeBSD! It just works so well, and after how smooth the recent updates/upgrades to 9.0-RELEASE went, am very pleased. Posted awhile back about upgrading, and thought I might not bother, but I think it was the jump from 7.2-8.0 which gave me a little trouble last time.

Nice shot Dru. Upgrades worked out flawlessly in my case as well. Things work absolutely fine here as well.

Daisuke, thank you. I have always admired your screenshots, every since back when I joined. Glad your upgrades went well also.

cra1g321, thank you too. Somedays I wonder about the productivity, though.

Dru said:
Not only does it work well, but by being able to right click anywhere, and get my menu, it saves mouse movements back and forth to a taskbar/application menu.
x11/dmenu is a great companion to Openbox. :)

I recommend the Xft patch for it. Hopefully it'll be a simple build option in FreeBSD soon...

Back