Disaster strikes - SeaMonkey removed from ports tree

lang/python27 is "expired", but still not removed, because other ports (notably ones with large user bases, e.g. chromium) have the same problem. It can only be solved upstream. Of course, this also reminds me why I like C – breaking changes are extremely rare.

Got curious and asked freshports.
This port is required by:
for Build
<list>
Expand this list (2249 items / 2242 hidden)

###Cleanup Thread. Collapsing 5 mozbuild compiling error posts into one.###
Fresh Machine with Xorg and Xfce4 installed. Otter and ClawsMail too.
To build SeaMonkey from their source I had to install these packages:
python27
gmake
rust
pkgconf
nasm
zip
autoconf213
libtool
pulseaudio.
yasm

Hello.

I made seamonkey-2.53.5 port.
It is a primitive port without options (alsa used for audio).
I tested it on FreeBSD 12.1 (i386)

P.S.
The seamonkey 2.53.6 has a different src structure and we will can use the gecko port for it.

Hello.
I was upgrade my notebook from FreeBSD 12.1 to 12.2 and built seamonkey-2.53.6 for it.
For sound install alsa-plugins.
I tested it on i386. For amd64 I only checked building it.
https://embroidery-kits.com/pub/

Last edited:
For sound install alsa-plugins.
I tested it on i386. For amd64 I only checked building it.
Thanks for that port! Just one small bug I found:

First line of "post-install" of the Makefile tries to copy a dekstop-file - there I got an error, because that file isn't available; And as I found none alternative desktop-file, I simply deaktivated that line (my desktop doesn't use desktop-files) - and I've got a working Seamonkey back! Build on an up to date 12.2-RELEASE-p4 amd64.

After some cheks: On YT it seems to have some drop-outs. But hey, works!

Spended some time on NickKostiryas great port: Fixed the Makefile regarding icon, desktop file, recommended tests of the porters handbook and the alsa-plugins dependency. As the python27 port (only a build dependency - a "pkg autoremove" can drop it if no other port uses it) might not be available: Included the last one of it in the archive (also there are my own ports included):

Edit 20210329: Link updated

Last edited:
Thank You All For Your Help. I used jmos port and pre-installed the packages noted.
That works wonderful so far. I did a make reinstall over 2.4.9 and it kept all my settings.
I owe you a steak dinner.
Got munin working with multiple nodes and SeaMonkey back.
This is a good weekend.

This also brings very good privacy improvments.
I seem to remember that the old ports "New>Private Window" was leaky.
With the newer mozilla base (firefox 60) we should be fixed up.

I will happily slide money twords anyone who worked on this.
python27 sails away very soon breaking this..
Better than the 3 year old SeaMonkey version I was using.

I do see one problem. There is no SeaMonkey Icon on my launcher. It has changed to an exclamation mark!
When I search for the file it is not found.
find /usr/ports/www/seamonkey/ -name 'seamonkey.png'
The Makefile alludes to this file for the seamonkey.desktop file.
I was expecting to see it under /work

I have tested it under 12.2-amd64 and 11.4-amd64. Builds fine and works good.
Trying i386 next.

With regards to the icon, on my 11.4 build the Icon seems present and when I drill down it is a symbolick link.

Code:
# file -s /usr/local/share/pixmaps/seamonkey.png
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/seamonkey.png: symbolic link to /usr/local/lib/seamonkey/chrome/icons/default/default128.png

I manually created the symlink and now the launcher icon is fine on my 12.2-RELEASE build.

Code:
ln -s /usr/local/lib/seamonkey/chrome/icons/default/default128.png /usr/local/share/pixmaps/seamonkey.png

I manually created the symlink and now the launcher icon is fine on my 12.2-RELEASE build.

Code:
ln -s /usr/local/lib/seamonkey/chrome/icons/default/default128.png /usr/local/share/pixmaps/seamonkey.png
…I just wrote my (now deleted) answer to your failure message, and then you got it working… But: Why does it work now? It's exactly the same… (Was it a "file permissions" problem?)

I'm using Window Maker, and icons and/or desktop files aren't used for the menu (also none of my plenty VMs have such a desktop…), so that's not funny to test for me; But: I saw strange behaviours the desktop environments showing when it comes to desktop files and icons. To me it's unclear how some desktops are working regarding the desktop files - some ignoring guilty ones completely (while others use them), some ignore some icons (like in this case) - and I can't find differences to other working examples, but a full compliance to the specifications (yes, I've read the docs from freedesktop.org). That's how things should work by the package/port:

Code:
jo@freya ~>  grep Icon /usr/local/share/applications/seamonkey.desktop
Icon=/usr/local/share/pixmaps/seamonkey.png
jo@freya ~>  file /usr/local/share/pixmaps/seamonkey.png
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/seamonkey.png: symbolic link to /usr/local/lib/seamonkey/chrome/icons/default/default128.png
jo@freya ~>  file /usr/local/lib/seamonkey/chrome/icons/default/default128.png
/usr/local/lib/seamonkey/chrome/icons/default/default128.png: PNG image data, 128 x 128, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced

Which launcher do you use?

Which launcher do you use?
Xfce4 Launcher.

The first computer I did the update on had the whole /usr/local/ directory wiped out.
I had a bad run of freebsd-update and had to wipe the /usr/local/ directory due to bad libs.
I did a source binary based manual rebuild of base system with fetch and extract.
So I had deleted the symlink there in a runup to re-installation of FreeBSD.
Now I re-installed Xfce/Xorg with my SeaMonkey user profile intact in my home directory
When I ran make install and make reinstall the symlink to icon did not get made.
It really is no big deal and I will test some more.

Xfce4 Launcher.
Double checked it with a blank Xfce installation and a new blank user account: Works as expected :) Your previous problem must belong to stuff Xfce cached, own menu entries and configurations (files in ~/.local/share/applications/*), your rebuild of /usr/local/, timings when the menu is re-read by Xfce etc. - somewhere there I would suspect the (solved) reason.

Edit: Standby - found a bug regarding the icon… (and even with a Ryzen 7 3700X tests on a blank jail takes some time… (icon problem already fixed, now trying to clean up more stuff before updating the port))

Build time for me is around 90 minutes on amd64 Sandy Creek laptop (i3-2330).
SeaMonkey build time takes on my machine 7 to 9 minutes (I'm not waiting in front of the computer), but when I'm compiling *all* needed packages from scratch… and I'm doing a lot of tests: I think the Makefile has some historic background which has to be checked (so f.e. Perl5 - haven't seen a Perl script in the source code, but yes, Perl is needed as autoconf213 pulls it in - but has it to be declared in SeaMonkeys Makefile? Such tests takes time…; Declaired Cairo isn't needed, but Pango - but Cairo worked as it pulled in Pango etc. - such things I'm doing.)

On i386-12.2 I had to add a bunch more packages to build it (faster). I wanted to use all packages except the missing SeaMonkey pkg.

nspr
nss
icu
harfbuzz
cmake
ninja
graphite2
hunspell
libvent
libvpx
zip

make package works well.
I use pkg add seamonkey-2.53.6_2.txz retrieved from the /work/pkg/ directory.

Last edited:
I do see one problem. There is no SeaMonkey Icon on my launcher. It has changed to an exclamation mark!
When I search for the file it is not found.
find /usr/ports/www/seamonkey/ -name 'seamonkey.png'
The Makefile alludes to this file for the seamonkey.desktop file.
I was expecting to see it under /work
Look under /usr/local/share/.

That's where x11-fm/xfe keeps icons, x11-wm/fluxbox keeps styles, etc.

The seamonkey icon missing from launcher is a popular problem. Here on NetBSD it also doesn't add a seamonkey launcher to MATE menu after I installed the binary package. I have to start it from the terminal with seamonkey &. You could try creating a .desktop launcher for it. This is a plain text file, just remember to chmod +x it to allow it to work.

Back