Hey! So this is my second thread on the FreeBSD forums, and I'm trying to get the USB-AC51 by ASUS to work in FreeBSD. In the FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE release notes, it says that "urtwn(4) has been updated to support the ASUS USB-AC51", so it's supposed to be working.

I've tried putting if_urtwn_load="YES" and legal.realtek.license_ack=1, but the interface does still not show up in ifconfig.
I also tried loading the kernel module manually by using kldload(8), but no luck there either.

Ok, I don't see the product id for the ASUS USB-AC51 in the driver. Seems like it wasn't actually added?

What's the output of usbconfig dump_device_desc?

Ok, I don't see the product id for the ASUS USB-AC51 in the driver. Seems like it wasn't actually added?

What's the output of usbconfig dump_device_desc?
I made it easier for you to see so I'm only showing the output for vendor 0x0b05 (ASUS).
Code:
ugen1.3: <product 0x17d1 vendor 0x0b05> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (160mA)

bLength = 0x0012
  bDescriptorType = 0x0001
  bcdUSB = 0x0201
  bDeviceClass = 0x0000  <Probed by interface class>
  bDeviceSubClass = 0x0000
  bDeviceProtocol = 0x0000
  bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0040
  idVendor = 0x0b05
  idProduct = 0x17d1
  bcdDevice = 0x0100
  iManufacturer = 0x0001  <MediaTek>
  iProduct = 0x0002  <WiFi>
  iSerialNumber = 0x0003  <1.0>
  bNumConfigurations = 0x0001

PS: I am using FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE

Ok, I don't think there is an easy solution to this. According to [1] the USB-AC51 has a MediaTek MT7610U chip which definitely isn't supported by urtwn(4) (even if we were to add the product id to it). I think the release note entry is bogus and someone misunderstood the commit message.

Even mainline Linux doesn't support this device yet. I suggest returning it and getting another dongle as annoying as that is :)

[1] https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_USB-AC51

Ok, I don't think there is an easy solution to this. According to [1] the USB-AC51 has a MediaTek MT7610U chip which definitely isn't supported by urtwn(4) (even if we were to add the product id to it). I think the release note entry is bogus and someone misunderstood the commit message.

Even mainline Linux doesn't support this device yet. I suggest returning it and getting another dongle as annoying as that is :)

[1] https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_USB-AC51
I see.. thanks for your help. Do you have any good suggestions for other USB network cards?

Do you have any good suggestions for other USB network cards?
Check urtwn(4) or ural(4) for a list of supported devices.

The ASUS USB-N10 NANO should be fine though I haven't tried it in a while. Check that the chipset is a Realtek RTL8188CU. And beware that wifi dongles sometimes are sold under similar names but with a completely different chipset.

Back