jayxkanz666

Hey! So this is my second thread on the FreeBSD forums, and I'm trying to get the USB-AC51 by ASUS to work in FreeBSD. In the FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE release notes, it says that "urtwn(4) has been updated to support the ASUS USB-AC51", so it's supposed to be working.

I've tried putting if_urtwn_load="YES" and legal.realtek.license_ack=1, but the interface does still not show up in ifconfig.
I also tried loading the kernel module manually by using kldload(8), but no luck there either.

tobik@

Daemon
Developer

Ok, I don't see the product id for the ASUS USB-AC51 in the driver. Seems like it wasn't actually added?

What's the output of usbconfig dump_device_desc?

OP
jayxkanz666

jayxkanz666

Ok, I don't see the product id for the ASUS USB-AC51 in the driver. Seems like it wasn't actually added?

What's the output of usbconfig dump_device_desc?
I made it easier for you to see so I'm only showing the output for vendor 0x0b05 (ASUS).
Code:
ugen1.3: <product 0x17d1 vendor 0x0b05> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (160mA)

bLength = 0x0012
  bDescriptorType = 0x0001
  bcdUSB = 0x0201
  bDeviceClass = 0x0000  <Probed by interface class>
  bDeviceSubClass = 0x0000
  bDeviceProtocol = 0x0000
  bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0040
  idVendor = 0x0b05
  idProduct = 0x17d1
  bcdDevice = 0x0100
  iManufacturer = 0x0001  <MediaTek>
  iProduct = 0x0002  <WiFi>
  iSerialNumber = 0x0003  <1.0>
  bNumConfigurations = 0x0001

PS: I am using FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE

tobik@

Daemon
Developer

Ok, I don't think there is an easy solution to this. According to [1] the USB-AC51 has a MediaTek MT7610U chip which definitely isn't supported by urtwn(4) (even if we were to add the product id to it). I think the release note entry is bogus and someone misunderstood the commit message.

Even mainline Linux doesn't support this device yet. I suggest returning it and getting another dongle as annoying as that is :)

[1] https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_USB-AC51

OP
jayxkanz666

jayxkanz666

Ok, I don't think there is an easy solution to this. According to [1] the USB-AC51 has a MediaTek MT7610U chip which definitely isn't supported by urtwn(4) (even if we were to add the product id to it). I think the release note entry is bogus and someone misunderstood the commit message.

Even mainline Linux doesn't support this device yet. I suggest returning it and getting another dongle as annoying as that is :)

[1] https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_USB-AC51
I see.. thanks for your help. Do you have any good suggestions for other USB network cards?

tobik@

Daemon
Developer

Do you have any good suggestions for other USB network cards?
Check urtwn(4) or ural(4) for a list of supported devices.

The ASUS USB-N10 NANO should be fine though I haven't tried it in a while. Check that the chipset is a Realtek RTL8188CU. And beware that wifi dongles sometimes are sold under similar names but with a completely different chipset.