FreeBSD Screen Shots

… I'm not asking anyone else to like or dislike it :)

I like it, I like plainness in places (I sometimes spend weeks with plain grey desktop backgrounds) but I rarely share shots of plainness.

Here's another to make those plain shots even rarer :) the photograph was taken with an Apple QuickTake 150, original, colours are exactly as they were when copied from the camera. It was an extraordinarily beautiful sunset over Moulsecoomb (quite unlike the Moulsecoomb that some people see), viewed from a previous place of work …

1624117800702.png

There is a tarball with 196 skins for sysutils/gkrellm2 available for free download at muhri.net.

It's what have pictured in all my screenshots with the Glass skin, or the Invisible skin on the IBM background shots.

That's the astro/gkrellmoon2 MoonClock at the top. You can set it to monitor /var/log/pflog among a number of other things.

All those old school themes, I love it:p

I sometimes use gkrellm more as a launcher than as a monitor. Old habit: secondary display, far right.

New habit: primary display, close to the Task Manager icon for gkrellm itself, so I can pop it out then in with minimal movement of the pointer. gkrellm becomes, like, an extension of Task Manager, with the ability to manage user-specified tasks.

… 196 skins for sysutils/gkrellm2

I had them all in the past, went without gkrellm for a long time, added just a few themes when I reinstalled gkrellm – too many themes can be overwhelming (the main window doesn't show the name of the current theme, and so on). I added the massive collection of themes again today, rediscovered at least one that was a past favourite. (There's a web page for themes, but it's no substitute for trying a theme.)

Most of the themes make it difficult for me to interpret information, so I got to a shortlist of twenty-five that are OK. The top three, for me:
  1. twilite
  2. Dune
  3. SteelX.
The twenty-five, in alphabetical order:
  • amber2
  • aqua
  • BlueSteel
  • Brass
  • brnGradient
  • Cobalt
  • Dune
  • greenHeart_gkrellm
  • H2O
  • Jewel_gkrellm
  • null
  • plain-black
  • PurpHaze
  • red
  • ShinyAll2 (blue alternative)
  • ShinyMetal
  • ShinyMetal-Blue
  • ShinyMetal2
  • spiffE
  • Steel
  • SteelX
  • TruBlu
  • twilite (fifth alternative)
  • Veg9000
– of which, my least favourite are Default and TruBlue.

Cobalt, Steel and SteelX are similar to each other. Of the three, SteelX is my current favourite.

twilite (fifth alternative) in context:

1624520893137.png

I sometimes use gkrellm more as a launcher than as a monitor. Old habit: secondary display, far right.
I saw that you had it as a launcher, I've never done it like that. :)

In addition to the general sensors I have it monitor /usr/var/log/pf.log and there's just a box you can tick for that in the Configuration Menu.
New habit: primary display, close to the Task Manager icon for gkrellm itself, so I can pop it out then in with minimal movement of the pointer. gkrellm becomes, like, an extension of Task Manager, with the ability to manage user-specified tasks.
Copland is a nice blue skin, black, concrete, HiFiII, Operational, platinum, Plastique, Matrix_Green, and WireFrameII a few some of the nicer one as I remember it.

I only have Glass and Invisible installed on this one.

I saved the xmms-skins-huge src distfile in original tar.gz format or whatever it was before it was removed from the ports tree. Some of those can be used on audio//audacious. That red Digitally Pimpin' skin is one of them.

I'll make them available for download from my site for anyone who wants them.

That is the Glass.gkrellm.tar.gz file from the bundle. I adjust the window height of each section by right-clicking on it and it will show a "Chart Height" menu where you can adjust it from.

Left-click on the Memory and Swap sections at the bottom to turn them into scrolling numbers. You can set your /root section as the File System Primary mount point and it will show HDD space underneath the Memory section. Left-click that, too. Monitor ports through the Internet section of the Menu.
This is the same skin:

hammertime.jpg

No different after moving all themes to that path, but thanks. I moved them all back to ~/.gkrellm2/themes

PS I don't want a transparent theme, I'm just curious about the differences in appearance.

Well I don't even do it the same way consistently across machines and still get transparency. I do it the way you show on this and my W520 .mp3 player and no change in appearance.

My .mp3 player is pictured above in the mask screenshot and this the same T61 as above in the Harley Hammertime shot:

usr_friendly.jpg

I've said it before and I'll say it again. FreeBSD is the most usr friendly desktop oriented Operating System I have ever taught myself to use.

I just do things however I want and it works for me the way I want it to...

You will be served by services,
syslog-ng is pretty nice, isn't? You can use it with ccze if you want colored output to some unused tty.
Also, I see refind there, refind is one thing I will die trying to understand why people prefer the overcomplexity of grub instead.

The grub chainloader is simple. Refind once destroyed my partition table, giving me a bad taste.
I think i'll send the syslog-ng logs also to postgresql. However i need to start postgresql first. Force a change in booting order.

The grub chainloader is simple. Refind once destroyed my partition table, giving me a bad taste.
I think i'll send the syslog-ng logs also to postgresql. However i need to start postgresql first. Force a change in booting order.
How did you managed to make refind destroyed your partition table? It's just a matter of efibootmgr pointing to refind_x64.efi (pretty much the same the freebsd loader do). Also, refind doesn't need a chainloader, it doesn't need anything at all (unless you need drivers to boot BIOS-based machines that the root sits on something that EFI doesn't support, and it make sense, EFI only supports fat32), it just finds the other bootloaders and boots, you can boot refind from a pendrive if you want and it will detect all the other bootloaders (windows, freebsd, linux, netbsd, even haiku).

It happened during a continu rebooting loop using alpine-linux. Probably a self-configuring alpine script when it sees its running on a zfs filesystem and thinks it is alone in the world.

It happened during a continu rebooting loop using alpine-linux. Probably a self-configuring alpine script when it sees its running on a zfs filesystem and thinks it is alone in the world.
Probably it's the culprit, my notebook uses refind and I usually configure by hand with efibootmgr because it's simpler, efibootmgr -v in freebsd or linux can give you a pretty good example on what to do.

Back