Is it good idea to make FreeBSD videos on YouTube

As a legally blind person I have a few things I would like to say on this topic:
  1. I personally find that videos with distracting music to be very difficult to follow.
  2. I understand that people can be shy and don't want to speak, but if the actions taking place in the videos aren't being described and/or explain, it makes it nearly impossible for me to follow what is going on.
  3. Mouse movement is hard to follow as well without some kind of highlight
  4. Videos can be incredibly useful compared to text sometimes because they allow you to show what should be happening at the same time as talking about it. It gives both a visual canvas and an audio track that can both complement and support one another. This is not possible with just text and picture as those 2 things are static.
  5. Interesingly enough, I find it more difficult to follow a standard powerpoint presentation if it's presented as YouTube video as I feel that we are often used to a certain level of editing in more mainstream educational videos (no timeto waste on silences and millions of "hmmm" "well..." "soooo....." etc.)
  6. I find that technical tutorial videos work best when accompanied with a written article because different medium are useful in different situation. (if I don't remember a specific command, I might not want to search through a video for example, but if it's a difficult topic, having someone verbally explain a concept might be easier to follow for me.
In the end, those are merely opinions on the whole YouTube video making process and video usefulness in general.

Thank you for your attention!

Of course it is and I can't see any reason why it would be a bad idea if you do it because you like the OS. I mean it can't hurt, promoting an OS through videos to show what could be done with it can only help.
Regarding the music or anything artistically related IMO one should do his own thing the way he likes it, and if it's different let it be because you won't make everybody happy whatever you do.
Relaxing music yes why not, plenty of them on YT.

Personally as hobbyist I enjoy discover things through videos(YT or asciinema), I don't take it as a full tutorial but more as a first step in I am fully aware that it's obviously impossible to be as complete as a documentation can be.

There are some youtubers very qualified and really good at what they do unfortunately there are also a lot of bad videos but it's also true for blogs so ... it is the same thing everywhere on internet nothing new.

Last days I tried to learn things about jails so I looked at 'bastillebsd' and 'cbsd' videos both made by their author. That way I can watch them in action and see the basics.
But If you are an IT guy I guess you won't look over YouTube for a tutorial, because excepted specific channels you probably are not the target anyway.
ehh nope not an IT guy. Just doing stuffs for fun and interests. Yea rage musics going nice with hacking videos lol. Anyway songs with words can be distracting. So this is the reason that I used more relax music for Segmentation error fix video

I sometimes listen whilst not watching, then look more closely (or see things from the corner of my eye).

My hearing is impaired (mostly through tinnitus) so I appreciate closed captions that are true, not automated.
I see. Be well soon. Yea I think another way to do videos understandable without talking is captions.

… We're old, we prefer text. …

Yes and no …

… I don't like sitting through videos. Also, for me, I don't learn very well from them, …

… If you're looking for a general impression videos can be helpful. …

True. Extensions that help me with the listening experience in Firefox include:
I'll sometimes listen at 2x speed or greater. Can be more effective than speed-reading.

Compared to the crappy Linux version it is.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1xrRW0e90Y
I remember that one day I decided to code a wifi card hardware for FreeBSD to make my RTL8821CE driver avalible but when I take a look at example code of it and my thoughts just changed in 1 minute lol. I think its a very hard job. They are writing a lot of codes with not understandable things by me lol

Videos can be incredibly useful compared to text sometimes because they allow you to show what should be happening at the same time as talking about it.
Photos can show the same text and written text can describe the same thing.
I find that technical tutorial videos work best when accompanied with a written article
Then eliminate the redundant video.

A writer once asked me, "How do you show in a video the warm feeling of the sun on your skin or your heart as your love walks by?". You can't but you can describe it in words.

Photos can show the same text and written text can describe the same thing.
A photos is only ever 1 snapshot taken from 1 angle, a video can basically be the equivalent of many photos
Then eliminate the redundant video.
Like I said, they both have different benefits, therefore I disagree that they are intrinsically redundant.
A writer once asked me, "How do you show in a video the warm feeling of the sun on your skin or your heart as your love walks by?". You can't but you can describe it in words.
I also kindly disagree here. If videos couldn't convey such feelings then every movie in existence ever would just be a dry succession of images. This can be expressed through music, colors, camera angles and such. It is definitely possible to express those kind of things in ways that can be understood by other people.

I do see value in doing FreeBSD instructional videos, and posting them on Youtube. If it's well thought out, and addresses the topic, an animated chart does a much better job of explaining a concept than static charts and diagrams on paper or screens. Like a simple bubble sort or a directed graph traversal, or how watch(8)() or vty() work.

I just opened a YouTube channel and started to making videos about Linux. Well I only got 2-4 views for videos haha. So my question is can FreeBSD community watches and makes comments to videos? Like I watched some videos that people were seting up zfs, partitions, desktop envoirements etc. so is that worths to do?

Edit:
I saw that one rule(Rule #1) saying dont do advertisement over freebsd forum so I removed my link. Sorry. You can warn me if Im doing something wrong

maybe you can do one with FreeBSD+virtualbox(no x11) for virtualization ,is really easy when you done a couple with bhyve

maybe you can do one with FreeBSD+virtualbox(no x11) for virtualization ,is really easy when you done a couple with bhyve
I dont use bhyve before but yea I will use VMWare for virtualization and it not requires so much thing. Just FreeBSD's own setup screen and VMWares helps are enough

Finally a FreeBSD video on my channel after a week:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJWq-9ugDnw

So I did another setup video for FreeBSD. I know there is already a lot of setup videos for FreeBSD but I wanted to start at it. I can do videos about Linux Binary Compatibility, Desktop Envoirement etc. and video about Linux and FreeBSD syscall, binary differences etc.

If you're not going to be actively engaging with your audience by talking; you're just bloating up the web at that point. You're better off using text/pictures. Also, why not teach OS concepts? Like, what is SSH? or How do you manage storage in FreeBSD? or How to secure a home network using FreeBSD.

All of them music. Sorry about not using speech

It's OK to not speak :) … just please, be more descriptive in the (YouTube) description.

Bear in mind, some videos start with brief intro music then progress to content-related speech. The problem is not knowing whether there'll be speech; whether it's necessary to listen to noise from start to finish and then (at the finish) know that there was none.

A producer might write "In this video I'll talk about …"

There are ways of hinting that it's music-only throughout. If your (YouTube) description gives credit to a background soundtrack and states the length of the track then the viewer can decide whether to listen for that length of time.

I learned more ways to make SEO better on video like using same text used in title in videos description too.
If those words don't appear in the body of your text, or aren't heard in your presentation, it will work against you.

I watched your How to set up FreeBSD video. I did not listen to it, much, but noticed long blank spaces in your presentation with nothing but black screen visible.

I didn't care for the music either. You cut from screens too quickly without showing what boxes you checked and left me wondering why you made some of the choices you did. Asking that question easier in print that trying to reach the Producer, Director or their Talent Agency and possibly dismissed as just another starry-eyed signature seeking autograph hound.

The one place I did not look when searching for an OS was youtube. I found where they had a cache of OS on Live CD's and started burning them.

I have to have complete silence to read a reference book and take it in. I can listen to music every minute I'm online and work at the same time writing, or read for hours and take it all in. Videos like that don't stick with me like text.

If those words don't appear in the body of your text, or aren't heard in your presentation, it will work against you.

I watched your How to set up FreeBSD video. I did not listen to it, much, but noticed long blank spaces in your presentation with nothing but black screen visible.

I didn't care for the music either. You cut from screens too quickly without showing what boxes you checked and left me wondering why you made some of the choices you did. Asking that question easier in print that trying to reach the Producer, Director or their Talent Agency and possibly dismissed as just another starry-eyed signature seeking autograph hound.

The one place I did not look when searching for an OS was youtube. I found where they had a cache of OS on Live CD's and started burning them.

I have to have complete silence to read a reference book and take it in. I can listen to music every minute I'm online and work at the same time writing, or read for hours and take it all in. Videos like that don't stick with me like text.
Yea I just put a long long black screen and most of the people thought video just end I guess lol. It was confusing. Its because I were using some applications to edit video and that applications not letting to cut video parts then I just added black.
My later videos, I cutted that black screen parts.
And yea I dont say or write anything about what Im doing at setup so it was mostly because I dont want to show text editor front of my vm. Later videos and some past videos I used text editors. That video was not very useful yea and its normal to not taking so much views and kinda things for me. Im gonna pay attention for them.

Yea I just put a long long black screen and most of the people thought video just end I guess lol. It was confusing. Its because I were using some applications to edit video and that applications not letting to cut video parts then I just added black.
My later videos, I cutted that black screen parts.
And yea I dont say or write anything about what Im doing at setup so it was mostly because I dont want to show text editor front of my vm. Later videos and some past videos I used text editors. That video was not very useful yea and its normal to not taking so much views and kinda things for me. Im gonna pay attention for them.
If you put together an instructional video, it has to be something that someone can actually follow along. For example, if you're compiling the kernel, it's OK to show maybe a few seconds of screenfuls of text flow right past, and in the background you comment, "This can take several hours to finish". Maybe have the screenful of flowing text in the background, and some large text in the foreground, kind of like some attractive Sci-fi movie trailers. In fact, take your cue from those trailers.

Back