Disaster strikes - SeaMonkey removed from ports tree

jmos Thanks for this port. It really has gone seemlessly on every machine I have updated.

I am going to try RELEASE-13-RC just to get a build off with python27 still around.

It feels so good to be able to run pkg update normally again.
Not feeling like you pulled the pin on a grenade. I certainly do take note what is happening now with updates.

Where is Snurg at with his 3 bucks!! Just kidding. Money is such a untasteful topic.
No but honestly I don't mind kicking in some funds. I can spilt it two ways since we had 2 workers.
If not I will give a donation to the FreeBSD foundation in SeaMonkey's honor.

What about the spell-checker, I seem to be having problems with that in the browser.
I do have en-hunspell installed for Claws-Mail.
What is SeaMonkey looking for to do spell checking? It seems to be missing on my machine.

I am going to try RELEASE-13-RC just to get a build off with python27 still around.
Checked the build on FreeBSD 13.0-RC4 - worked ;) But as it is only a plain text VM… haven't seen SeaMonkey executed on it.

The spellchecker thing should be done by SeaMonkey and its Addons itself:
But at the moment this doesn't work for me. I'm able to install dictionaries and choose them in the configuration dialog, but anything I'm typing is still marked as false… (I'm only using the browser - done no checks on the mail part). Here's an interesting thread to this topic I just began to examine:
As far I understood the main problem is that Firefox switched their Addon mechanisms. I think I saw a hunspell-option at compile time ("configure --help"), but so far I spent no time on it. But as we're talking about Addons, here's the (IMO) real interesting one - a working uBlock origin:

And the honor of this port goes to NickKostirya - I had no luck on getting SeaMonkey compiled.

Edit: hunspell works - after some more tests my port will be upgraded :)

Hello.
I was upgrade my notebook from FreeBSD 12.1 to 12.2 and built seamonkey-2.53.6 for it.
For sound install alsa-plugins.
I tested it on i386. For amd64 I only checked building it.
seamonkey-2.53.7 also work on FreeBSD :)

cd /usr/ports/www/seamonkey-2.53.7
make build-depends-list | cut -c 12- | xargs pkg install -A -y
make install
pkg autoremove

But as we're talking about Addons, here's the (IMO) real interesting one - a working uBlock origin:
Yes I use that as well. Interesting thing with this new SeaMonkey we should be able to run the mainline Ublock Origin (with Firefox 60 supported) but it didn't work for me. I had to use legacy like you.
No big deal. Just harder to find the download.
I like messing with the filter lists too. This is one great tool for free.

Thanks, jmos!. built it here, found seamonkey-bin deep in the build directory, ran it from there, smooth as ever so far, and did not wipe all configurations on the older one still installed! I also appreciate the explanations on your webpage.
[ amd64, STABLE, 12.2 ]
though the previous version had its cookies and history and password storage all erased on restart. Wish those were documented so the
backup is easier. [ I had backups... ]

I did notice that I had pulse-audio already installed.
So perhaps that is why I did not have the problem you mention.

I gave a 50 dollar donation to FreeBSD Foundation and I plan on doing the same for SeaMonkey. Maybe more.

I have not had those problems??

YT videos took a short break every now and then. As the related code is from Firefox I've looked into its Makefile: PulseAudio is default there, so I gave it a try.

But Firefox doesn't set PulseAudio as a dependency for the package, only to compile (same for ALSA); I'm wondering if I should do the same…: At the moment I assume that if someone says "yes, that" in the config dialog, the related audio package is wanted, too. But is it?

though the previous version had its cookies and history and password storage all erased on restart. Wish those were documented so the
backup is easier. [ I had backups... ]

Going back to an earlier version will always include the sword of Damocles of updated (and therefore non-fitting) config files etc.; So in my opinion this mustn't be documented (also this hint would appear on installing the compiled package - so running the binary out of the work directory before installing it won't do the trick). But the project website itself shows many big fat red warnings: Updating to 2.53.1 or above means "no way back" (or "use your backups"). Anyway…: I've added a clear hint on my website, too.

YT videos took a short break every now and then. As the related code is from Firefox I've looked into its Makefile: PulseAudio is default there, so I gave it a try.

But Firefox doesn't set PulseAudio as a dependency for the package, only to compile (same for ALSA); I'm wondering if I should do the same…: At the moment I assume that if someone says "yes, that" in the config dialog, the related audio package is wanted, too. But is it?
Yes it does use pulseaudio (but not alsa-plugins!). So does firefox. Else, you can compile FF with sndio for sound, but the sound will be worse than with pulseaudio.

Going back to an earlier version will always include the sword of Damocles of updated (and therefore non-fitting) config files etc.; So in my opinion this mustn't be documented (also this hint would appear on installing the compiled package - so running the binary out of the work directory before installing it won't do the trick). But the project website itself shows many big fat red warnings: Updating to 2.53.1 or above means "no way back" (or "use your backups"). Anyway…: I've added a clear hint on my website, too.
I found places.sqlite.corrupt just today and a four-step might-fail method to dump-restore it back to places.sqlite

[ started that, the file had no useful info so did not do the last 3 steps ]
[ MORE useful was the /storage/default/ with lots of information should
I ever need the equivalent of what a backup would be with more info ]

But once it's in a text file I have all the info I was missing. Also, I discovered
the default/storage/ directory which can also be operated on
to find not-remembered sites in the history.

Also, in that I discovered, installed two-three new extensions and
enabled ones that had been disabled.

20/20 would do again. [ learned a bit more about the files and trees
of seamonkey, re enabled extensions, installed new extensions... ]
[ please overlook the repetition in this post. ]

It does seem like USE_PACKAGE_DEPENDS does not act as I desired.
I was hoping it would download the packages for me.

If I use this it this way it does a full stop at compiling which does allow me to manually add the package.
make -DUSE_PACKAGE_DEPENDS_ONLY

Man this version is purring along nicely. One thing I appreciate is the TLS 1.3 version availability.
On version 2.49 I used to disable 1.0 and 1.1 and use version 1.2 TLS.
Now I set it to TLS 1.3 only and do notice a slight slowdown.
I can actually read the text 'performing a TLS Handshake'.

No real problems when browsing. Seamonkey is working great.

However, I'm curious as to why it needs to download the Linux kernel during the make process.
The SeaMonkey port doesn't download "torvalds-linux-*_GH0.tar.gz", but the port "multimedia/libv4l" f.e. does. That port is used by browser like Firefox, Otter Browser, Falkon etc. (beside of many other programs like Gimp, ffmpeg, Handbrake, mplayer, QuiteRSS etc.). cat /usr/ports/multimedia/libv4l/pkg-descr tells you more about it.

The SeaMonkey port doesn't download "torvalds-linux-*_GH0.tar.gz", but the port "multimedia/libv4l" f.e. does. That port is used by browser like Firefox, Otter Browser, Falkon etc. (beside of many other programs like Gimp, ffmpeg, Handbrake, mplayer, QuiteRSS etc.). cat /usr/ports/multimedia/libv4l/pkg-descr tells you more about it.

Got it. It compiled just fine, typing on it now and it works flawlessly. Thank you so much for this!

Back