Solved Fatal Error On DRM Load

D

Deleted member 62636

Hello,I have been trying to get clinfo to display my GPU correctly. Currently it displays:
Code:
clGetDeviceIDs(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ALL, ...)   No devices found in platform [Clover?]

At first I tried loading the Radeon GPU DRM radeonkms.ko but when I try to load it I get a fatal trap 12 page fault while in kernel mode error and system crashes. I did some digging on /var/log/messages and found this:
Code:
Jan 27 07:26:48 <hostname> kernel: [drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
Jan 27 07:26:48 <hostname> kernel: drmn0: <drmn> on vgapci0
Jan 27 07:26:48 <hostname> kernel: vgapci0: child drmn0 requested pci_enable_io
Jan 27 07:26:48 <hostname> syslogd: last message repeated 1 times
Jan 27 07:26:48 <hostname> kernel: [drm] initializing kernel modesetting (CEDAR 0x0000:0x0010 0x0000:0x0000 0x00).
Jan 27 07:26:48 <hostname> kernel: [drm:radeon_device_init] Unable to find PCI I/O BAR <-------- Crashed After This

piconf -lv
Code:
vgapci0@pci0:1:0:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x35101682 chip=0x68f91002 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]'
    device     = 'Cedar [Radeon HD 5000/6000/7350/8350 Series]'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA

I have installed graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod.

My FreeBSD version is: 12.2-RELEASE-p1

Edit: I have removed solved prefix as it is not been tested by myself yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have installed it with pkg?
If yes, uninstall it and try to install drm-fbsd12.0-kmod with the ports system. You need to have locally the sources of FreeBSD.

If that works, search on this forum why.

Do you have installed it with pkg?
If yes, uninstall it and try to install drm-fbsd12.0-kmod with the ports system. You need to have locally the sources of FreeBSD.

If that works, search on this forum why.
So no other way? I don't want to install, manage and keep up to date the port collection just for one package.

So no other way? I don't want to install, manage and keep up to date the port collection just for one package.
Yes, of course. Wait and pray. This will be maybe ok the next week or later. You will have to reinstall drm-fbsd12.0-kmod.

Yes, of course. Wait and pray. This will be maybe ok the next week or later. You will have to reinstall drm-fbsd12.0-kmod.
So if you are not being sarcastic I understand that this is not a permanent issue? Do I need to wait for the next build?

Do I need to wait for the next build?
Packages are being built for 12.1 because it's still supported. This support will end at the end of this month (https://www.freebsd.org/security/#sup). Once 12.1 is end-of-life packages will get built for 12.2. Almost all of the 12.1 packages don't cause problems when installing them on 12.2, the DRM driver is one of a few that's known to cause issues.

Packages are being built for 12.1 because it's still supported. This support will end at the end of this month (https://www.freebsd.org/security/#sup). Once 12.1 is end-of-life packages will get built for 12.2. Almost all of the 12.1 packages don't cause problems when installing them on 12.2, the DRM driver is one of a few that's known to cause issues.
Thanks! How can I know if a package will be updated to a version? For example: graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod only shows the version 12.0?
Also, rather than the release version how can I install the stable version? I couldn't find the link to download it and the link to 12.2-STABLE is broken in https://www.freebsd.org/where/ .

The version in the port/package's name is a little unfortunate. It has no relation to the actual FreeBSD version.

-STABLE is a development version, you build it from source. As you're still relatively new I would suggest sticking to a -RELEASE version.

24.4.2. Using FreeBSD-STABLE

The version in the port/package's name is a little unfortunate. It has no relation to the actual FreeBSD version.
Is there a way to learn a port/package's version from its freshports page?

Is there a way to learn a port/package's version from its freshports page?
The version, yes. But the version of the port/package has no relation with the FreeBSD version. All versions of FreeBSD use one and the same ports tree. So all third-party applications are the same on all versions and architectures of FreeBSD (with a few notable exceptions to this rule).

To expand on that, as it seems to confuse the heck out of people that are used to Linux distributions where versions of applications are tied to the version of the distribution, all third-party applications (i.e. things that aren't part of the FreeBSD OS itself) start with a port. This is our famous (or infamous depending on your view of things) ports tree. Ports build packages. Without a port there is no package. There is only one ports tree. As I said, all versions of FreeBSD use this same ports tree. The ports tree is like a 'rolling release', everything in it is constantly being updated, moved or deleted. To somewhat alleviate this constant updating there are so-called quarterly branches of the ports tree. These are made once every three months and are branched off from the 'main' branch (aka HEAD or latest). A quarterly branch only receives security or stability updates. The -RELEASE versions use a package repository made from these quarterly branches by default. You can configure it to use a package repository made from the 'latest' ports tree if you want.

To expand on that, as it seems to confuse the heck out of people that are used to Linux distributions where versions of applications are tied to the version of the distribution, all third-party applications (i.e. things that aren't part of the FreeBSD OS itself) start with a port. This is our famous (or infamous depending on your view of things) ports tree. Ports build packages. Without a port there is no package. There is only one ports tree. As I said, all versions of FreeBSD use this same ports tree. The ports tree is like a 'rolling release', everything in it is constantly being updated, moved or deleted. To somewhat alleviate this constant updating there are so-called quarterly branches of the ports tree. These are made once every three months and are branched off from the 'main' branch (aka HEAD or latest). A quarterly branch only receives security or stability updates. The -RELEASE versions use a package repository made from these quarterly branches by default. You can configure it to use a package repository made from the 'latest' ports tree if you want.
Thanks for the explanation! For example: When graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod gets build for 12.2 or gets updated, do I need to be on the latest branch in order to not wait 3 months for the newest binary?

When 12.1 is end-of-life it's likely all package repositories will get rebuilt, that would include the quarterly package repositories. The interface is a little daunting but you can keep track of the build clusters here: https://pkg-status.freebsd.org/builds?type=package. Note the version number in the jail names. For now they're still 121amd64 for example to indicate a 12.1-RELEASE-amd64 version.

That is not hard work. Just download the ports tree and build that package. It is always a good practice to rebuild kernel bound packages after upgrading the system. Ports tree does not take much disk space and disks are huge these days.

BTW, the original meaning of BSD acronym was 'Berkeley Source Distribution'. Today it stands for 'Berkeley Software Distribution' but, IMHO, source code is still the strongest point of FreeBSD. Installing all sort of binaries is a Linux way of thinking...

IMHO, source code is still the strongest point of FreeBSD. Installing all sort of binaries is a Linux way of thinking...
I used agree with you but having a low end dual core CPU can change everyone's opinion :D

SirDice Emrion It seems like it got rebuild but It still crashes the same way. What can I do now? build log

It's almost half-way there, and it's been churning away for 38 and a half hours already.
After that's done, do I just have to do pkg update and pkg install drm-fbsd12.0-kmod would that be enough?

Yep, you don't have to change anything on your side. Repository URL will be the same ( "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest" and "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/quarterly" ). The ${ABI} variable doesn't change between minor versions.

Back