FreeBSD Screen Shots

Problem is, I prefer to use startx...
Now thinking about xserverrc, maybe it's possible to start xconsole from there...

Edit: Crap, this cannot work with x running as user...

macondo Compared to your clean screen mine messie.png looks like a messie's screen... look the pager in the lower right

Problem is, I prefer to use startx...
Now thinking about xserverrc, maybe it's possible to start xconsole from there...

Edit: Crap, this cannot work with x running as user...
I'm wondering about checking ~/.xsession-errors about graphical applications on the desktop that fail because of permissions. Also I'm wondering about /etc/groups, or one of those /etc/ dev configuration files. If xserverrc doesn't work, xdm can also be started from the console line. I thought about using rc scripts, but this would start it before there's a graphical screen.

How could you live without font smoothing/antialiasing? The terminal font just sucks.

It works for me, has for years and just the way I like it.

Admittedly my style of desktop isn't for everybody, I've heard more than one person say they didn't care for it, but it's a working configuration that maximizes my desktop space and is the most efficient for the way I work. Basically, wallpaper excepted, if you've seen one of mine you've seen them all, as all my boxen are set up exactly the same.

But I have yet to see a screenshot of your FreeBSD desktop, giahung. ;)

gia:
users are nuts, especially after a few years of dealing with OSes.
I like my windows maximized, no titlebar, taskbar in autohide, fonts?..pfffst, all I use is Deja vu Sans Mono, I only install with the "boot-only" cd, dvds? nuts... only window managers - kde? gnome? bite your tongue. Menus? point and click? Pleeease... keybindings is where is at.

Anybody who likes those things, has serious emotional problems in my book.
What can I tell you...

gia:
users are nuts, especially after a few years of dealing with OSes.
I like my windows maximized, no titlebar, taskbar in autohide, fonts?
nuts... only window managers - kde? gnome? bite your tongue. Menus? point and click? Pleeease... keybindings is where is at.
I need simple menus or a command line. I don't have patience to memorize and configure everything for keybinding: for those who like it, great. The rest of what you say, that's why ratpoison is one of your chosen window managers. Big window managers like Gnome or KDE, I don't need those.

I don't use keybindings either. I like doing everything by hand.

I have some non-mainstream ideas and ways of doing things, though, but it's working for me. :)

sidetone: my keybindings are simple, even an old man like me (70) can remember:
F1 terminal
F2 file manager
F4 close app
F7 image viewer
F8 hexchat
F10 restart wm
F12 maximize window
Some of my F keys conflict with my browser, but I see what can be done.

Here's mine while building a new 12.0-CURRENT from source. The box is a lovely custom design from ixSystems, bags of RAM, some, NVMe storage, and a practically silent case even when compiling all the things, using a fanless video card, driving 2 monitors.

- x11-wm/i3
- lots of x11/rxvt-unicode
- a sysutils/vm-bhyve running in the bottom corner inside sysutils/tmux
- the net-mgmt/riemann dashboard running on the right panes
- watching Rich Hickey's excellent talk on simplicity https://www.infoq.com/presentations/Simple-Made-Easy

wintermute.png

The only ones I use with my browser are F3 (to find some word) and F5 to refresh FF (and they come by default)
JWM no title bar, taskbar in autohide, firefox-esr, hexchat
I can see setting F1 and F2 for thingylaunch/thinglaunch and the terminal. The only thing is, I'd like to roll my mouse over volume, because it's more convenient than typing, and see some of which applications I have open through the task bars. You're using the mouse less, so your layout makes sense.

Back