Replacement for Thunderbird?

Mozilla products get more and more bloated and unusable...
So Palemoon is a great replacement for Firefox. How about Thunderbird?
Of course, there exist many email clients. Personally I don't need GUI in most cases and use mail/mutt at home. However, I have to use mail/thunderbird at work since sometimes I have to read/write html messages. The proofed mail/sylpheed and mail/claws-mail are great, but they only display html, do not support composing.

Thanks for ideas.

I have not found a suitable replacement for Thunderbird. There is Evolution but it is as bloated as Thunderbird. Although, has a nicer looking default interface in my opinion.

The new Firefox is a lot faster and more memory efficient than the previous version. Sadly it still has pocket forcibly integrated.

Most of times I use mail/cone+mail/msmtp, instead of mutt

And yes, Sylpheed to display html :)

If I remember correctly mail/geary does support composing, and is very nice, though I haven't installed it on FreeBSD so far, so I wouldn't be able to tell how well it performs.

Then there's mail/evolution

Unfortunately they're both haevy as hell on dependencies (geary is a little more bearable)

I'm pretty sure KMail would stasfy your needs, but it requires you to install KDE4, so it's out of question

Out of topic: I would really like to see Nylas-Mail ported one day to FreeBSD

I've been somewhat happy with Seamonkey, also available as www/seamonkey.

Basically an all-in-one suite from Mozilla which does a decent job but can still become tedious because in the end you're now basically loading / using 3 main applications at the same time (browser, mail / usenet client an an IRC client).

If you do not mind of Qt (pure Qt) and a simple client (not a full feature one like mail/thunderbird), there is mail/trojita. Quite fine and fast (at least until the last time I used it), but with the downside of just supporting one account; however you could run more than one instance using different configs if you must.

In fact I am wondering if your post would not be a little "out of forum rules", as you probably use Palemoon on Windows or Linux.
This forum is for FreeBSD. If your question is related to Windows, "google a little" there are now many alternatives to Thunderbird on Windows.
That's really funny! May I make a counter-offer? Just search these forums for "palemoon" and you'll find that you missed this thread. It is not ported "officially" yet, but the port suggested perfectly worked for me.

Thanks for suggestions folks, here is what we have so far:
mail/sylpheed, mail/claws-mail and mail/trojita do not support composition of html messages.
Also mail/trojita has rendering issues, some messages created by Outlook are not rendered at all.
mail/geary and mail/evolution want to pull a lot of Gnome dependencies: 193MB and 135MB correspondingly.
www/seamonkey is not bad, I used to use it, but they don't have a stand alone application anymore, you have to run the whole suite (unless I missed something).
The nylas-mail and its forks are not ported, but they are written in JavaScript, which means, from one side, it's not hard to port, from another ― they are even more bloated than mail/geary and mail/evolution.

Before you permanently leave Thunderbird, you may want to leave some feedback to Ryan Sipes, the new Community Manager for Thunderbird, on a survey he's running. More information can be found on his blog post.

Personally for me, Thunderbird works great on both FreeBSD and Linux handling a few thousand emails in my inbox, including MS Exchange. I've set it up to both display and compose emails in plain text to reduce any HTML distractions.

you may want to leave some feedback to Ryan Sipes, the new Community Manager for Thunderbird
Thanks, will do.
I've set it up to both display and compose emails in plain text to reduce any HTML distractions
For this purpose I use mail/mutt for many years and very happy with it.

As I mentioned above, sometimes I have to read and compose emails in html to be on the same page with many other people in the company (who do not know anything but Outlook). Generally speaking, Thunderbird works more or less acceptably, but look at the cost of what (excerpts from top output):
Code:
  PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE   C   TIME    WCPU COMMAND
64847 <myuser>      65 103    0  2797M  1036M CPU7    7 129.6H 102.12% thunderbird
67969 root          23  20    0  5190M  3971M kqread 11 339:39   1.07% bhyve
52643 <myuser>       1  20    0 13569M 75428K select  5 492:45   0.27% Xorg

I do wonder if Thunderbird May get the Firefox treatment soon and get a significant rewrite in Rust?

There's Nylas that looks good, but there doesn't seem to be a FreeBSD port...

IIRC, Nylas Mail is an electron app (backed by Chrome/Chromium). So, just like Slack, gobbles up memory.
It looks beautiful, but it’s just not a great way to make an app, IMO.

I did ask the Nylas team to look into a FreeBSD Port almost two year ago, I tried to figure it out myself but getting the electron backend working was beyond my at the time, and now I learn of what electron really is I have little desire to run anything that depends on it.

Mozilla products get more and more bloated and unusable...
So Palemoon is a great replacement for Firefox. How about Thunderbird?
Well, i am new here and do not have much knowledge as per the topic. Have you considered mailbird for the replacement of thunderbird? or not?
It may help you.

If you use Palemoon, isn't it shares the common dependencies with thunderbird?
Probably, but that's not about dependencies, take a look at the top's line I posted above...

Have you considered mailbird for the replacement of thunderbird?
Isn't it for MS Windows only?

As far as I can see currently it's only for mobile platforms.

I ran Outlook on FreeBSD in the late 1990's
Yeah, that time MS and Adobe products were simpler and neater.
Honestly speaking, I don't understand why people may like Outlook, what's the use? It doesn't support threads, the search is useless, the data file in binary format and used to break everything when hit 2GB size (now they fixed it after 20 years!).

The OP html needs: viewing and/or composing? In mail/sylpheed and mail/mutt, it is easy to configure the mail client to open html email in a browser. If composing html emails is a rare occurrence, it is also not overly difficult to attach html files. Google: mutt composing html

The OP html needs: viewing and/or composing?
As I mentioned in the OP, both. And, yes, viewing is not a problem.
The problem comes when people send text interleaved with pictures, use different styles, highlight certain words, and they expect from you a similarly formatted message.
Moreover, sometimes they expect you to edit their message and reply back. So the OP is about convenience.
I'm aware of how to attach HTML files, and maybe will eventually go that way, it will require some time for fine tuning everything to make sure that Outlook displays them correctly.

Pehraps have I missed something, but Palemoon is not ported to FreeBSD as today, unless you managed by yourself to port it.
So as today, Palemoon IS NOT a replacement... on FreeBSD
www/palemoon
Download attachment from that post.
Pale Moon should be available in ports tree and via packages soon...

Not for composing, but there is an easy way to open mutt emails in a browser.
Thanks, I do use www/w3m, it's really convenient. However, it's not really useful in a situation when the sender asks to do something typed in red or in green. It is ridiculous, but that's what I have to bear with, and I believe, not just me.

That link refers to using a gui brower. He uses vimperator I think, but you can just as easily use firefox or other. That would open the email, showing all its colors and links, e.g.

Code:
text/html; firefox -new-tab %s; test=test -n "$DISPLAY"

www/seamonkey is not bad, I used to use it, but they don't have a stand alone application anymore, you have to run the whole suite (unless I missed something).

And why it is a problem? Just launch it like this, to start mail client directly, — % seamonkey -mail.
Also seamonkey package from repo is equal to thunderbird package by its size :
FYtNcxF.png

(also it is possible to build SM without calendar)
So seamonkey is a great email client IMO, I like it even more than thunderbird (I like seamonkey UI)
also it has similar functionality, so it is a great replacement.
OYUBLiZ.png

Thanks! So far so good. My main problem with Thunderbird is the enormous amount of resources consumed.
Actually I found that there exist an option to launch the email client by default:

seamonkey.png

I installed Seamonkey as a package, it doesn't have a calendar.

Back