FreeBSD Screen Shots

bloodshot.png

My Thinkpad X61 with 4:3 screen ratio running Fluxbox, Gkrellm2, Eterm, Xfe, and XMMS.

A bit constrained for my liking at that screen ratio but sweet none the less.

I'm not normally one for dark themes, but seeing yours Trihexagonal I loaded up FreeBSD Mate black theme and its one of the best dark themes I've seen.

Usually controls go missing (difficult to see) with such dark themes, but Mate seem to have it about right and all of the control boxes and ticks etc. I've looked at so far (in Libre Calc ...etc.) have all been visible.

That Mate theme does appeal to me, it's clean looking. I've seen it before on a Linux box.

I did find one barely visible control in Libre Calc when the Draw toolbox is opened. The bottom left there's two line draw options ... one to draw just the line another to draw a line with a arrow ... that with that Mate Black theme isn't easily visible until you mouse over the control. The Caja (nautilus based file manager) did have black text on a dark background, however that was easily resolved by using the edit preference colour option to drag a white background to the panel (as in the image I posted).

The nice thing about Mate is its easy to get good functionality up and running relatively quickly in FreeBSD. Once you have the cli command line, just a matter of pkg install xorg mate mate-desktop ... and after a lot of downloading and installing its pretty much set to go after some editing of /etc/rc.conf I used the guidelines as per here (note that xf86-video-fbdev wasn't installed/available, but it all installed fine).

I suspect that installation was quicker and easier than had I opted for TrueOS.

I haven't added much to the mate install. Brightside was a nice addition (hot corners) as I set brightside-properties top left corner to toggle show/hide desktop. So now when another program is full screen I can just mouse into the top left corner to reveal the desktop icons and launch whatever I need. A bit like taking Mate gnome2 and adding a element of gnome3 on top, but where the displayed programs when you top left are arranged as and where you prefer. One thing missing is having different icons on different desktops ... as that way you could use desktop switching to present different groups of icons (perhaps for instance desktop 4 for system icons, desktop 3 for multi-media, desktop 2 icons for personal files/folders and desktop 1 icons for your favourite icons).

brightside.gif

Wow that animated gif worked :) Created a ogv file using recordmydesktop and tried creating a animated gif with openshot but couldn't figure a way to do that ... so instead I used https://ezgif.com/ to upload and convert. Then posted to postimage and linked that here.

I am currently in the process of fixing the Nimbus Gtk2 port for a personal project.

This is what it looks like on the Mate desktop:
http://imgur.com/a/babWM

The dark and light variants of it look pretty terrible but the default is still one of the nicest themes I have seen. If anyone here is interested in using it, I will put in a port update request and get it committed to the tree.

I am currently in the process of fixing the Nimbus Gtk2 port for a personal project.

This is what it looks like on the Mate desktop:
http://imgur.com/a/babWM

The dark and light variants of it look pretty terrible but the default is still one of the nicest themes I have seen. If anyone here is interested in using it, I will put in a port update request and get it committed to the tree.

Nimbus was always one of the best! This and Blueprint!

machinegun.png

My new T61 with a fresh build of FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE.

I know I'm not the only one with a FreeBSD desktop...

you're right :beer:

Point being, why am I the only one posting screenshots these days? Let's see 'em!

You've managed to do what so many others seem to think "requires too much effort", show them why.

I suppose since I just updated all 4 of mine to FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p1 I could post new ones... ;)

But I keep the same configuration so the only thing that ever changes on mine is the wallpaper, and that not so often anymore.

Many of these image links don't even work.
CodeBlock, your links redirect to LocalHost.

The posts made by CodeBlock on the first page are from 2009. The site in which he posted images to http://hexinary.net/ does not even appear to exist anymore.

Do you have a screenshot to post or only criticism?

FVWM Vertex theme

rxMrCHd.png

1. Install GTK Vertex theme:
# pkg install automake autoconf pkgconf gtk-murrine-engine
% git clone https://github.com/horst3180/vertex-theme --depth 1 && cd vertex-theme
% ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local
# make install

2. Install x11-themes/lxappearance and choose Vertex theme.

3. Download attached zip archive (fvwm.zip) and extract .fvwm/ dir to your home dir (~/.fvwm).

4. Install and start FVWM: # pkg install fvwm, % startx /usr/local/bin/fvwm2.
Screenshot-2017-08-15 02-13-03.png

5. Enjoy!

Button pixmaps were tacken from original Vertex gtk theme.

NOTE:
To change localization to yor native language — change "LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8; export LANG" to "LANG=<your_locale>.UTF-8; export LANG" in ~/.fvwm/autostart. To list all available localizations, execute % locale -a.

Attachments

• fvwm.zip
    16.3 KB · Views: 330
Last edited by a moderator:
ILUXA said:
FVWM Vertex theme

rxMrCHd.png

1. Install GTK Vertex theme:
# pkg install automake autoconf pkgconf
% git clone https://github.com/horst3180/vertex-theme --depth 1 && cd vertex-theme
% ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local
# make install

2. Install x11-themes/lxappearance and choose Vertex theme.

3. Download attached zip archive (fvwm.zip) and extract .fvwm/ dir to your home dir (~/.fvwm).

4. Install and start FVWM: pkg install fvwm, % startx /usr/local/bin/fvwm2.
View attachment 3890

5. Enjoy!

Button pixmaps were tacken from original Vertex gtk theme.
That such is the operation of the system in files ZSH?

Back