Your favorite text based application

The visual highlight seems an absolute must in vim.

What do nvi users do? Guess at the amount of letters that they want to copy/cut?

One command line (kinda) app that I love is bitlbee (http://www.bitlbee.org)
Since I don'r really like finch (console pidgin) bitlbee allows me to create an irc server with a bot that allows me to connect to many chat protocols (msn typically) using just an irc client such as irssi or *beep**beep**beep**beep**beep*x (b1tchX).

It takes a bit of getting used to but it is really awesome.

If you aren't limited to a terminal, what *really* tops it off is to use the Microsoft comic chat IRC client (in wine) rather than irssi etc :)

kpedersen said:
The visual highlight seems an absolute must in vim.
What highlighting are you talking about? syntax or selection?
kpedersen said:
What do nvi users do? Guess at the amount of letters that they want to copy/cut?
Either turn line numbers$ echo set nu >>~/.exrc
or user marks, e.g. set cursor to a place foo, mark it with m command, move cursor to a place bar, delete region between foo and bar by d`<foo_mark> command. Is this not a visual way to do things?

Well, I prefer mg/emacs over vi, anyway. Mostly because it has a nice integrated mail/news client called gnus.

kpedersen said:

Todays word is POSIX! It's almost like a bash user complaining that sh is on the system which ain't as pimpin as bash.

Feel free to look up yank and put. They work well in both vi and vim. With that sed Be happy you don't have to deal with `ed()`.

Scrap POSIX, it exists only to facilitate porting but not really usable without extensions. And most bash users are dumb, they usually write scripts that run on an ash descendant or even POSIX shell with minor modifications. Besides, it's easy to write a sh-script that runs on ash but fails on bash, e.g.
Code:
#! /bin/sh
echo $(case $* in
   *) echo $*
esac)

Edit:

Bogus example of bash fail. I forgot that bash on my box is a symlink to zsh. Here is right example - http://pastebin.com/WvQ1qCTM

Hmm interesting,

For *ages* I have been looking for a way to visually select text to delete within a line in vi.

i.e in vim use: 'v', move cursor to somewhere else, and then press 'd'.

This thread inspired me to find out how to do it in vi.

in vi use: 'mk' to set a mark (assigned to k), move cursor to somewhere else and 'd`k' to delete from current position to mark stored in k.

This info was seriously hard to find without knowing to use the 'mark' keyword!

Edit:
This is what camelia suggested, though since these forums changed the backticks, it kinda threw me off :p

native PostGRE's client psql is the best command line database tool in the world albeit it's strictly dependent of the database all others might learn from it

lynx is by far my favourite , I use it to read the funnies in the morning while evryone who isnt
a *nix user at my work just thinks im doing " IT stuff "

vim. of course.
rsync
ssh
xmms2
shell-fm
pacpl
lynx only for reading html-docus.
screen.

Back