Your favorite text based application

Some of my favorite text based applications on the workstation

OpenSSH
OpenSSL
window (console manager)
nvi (New vi editor)
Heirloom mailx (nail) my favorite email client
lynx (excellent web-browser and fantastic ftp client)
cdio (CD burning and playing tool)
madplay (MP3 decoder and player)
ffmpeg (converter with built in video player ffplay)
dvd+rw-tools
deco (file manager)
pjsua (SIP client)
SIAG spreadsheets (has GUI mode as well)
sic (250 lines IRC client)
antiword

snes-addict said:
I'm a fan of (t)csh, lynx, screen, mplayer (no video, though, since I can't use svgalib), emacs, vi, and ftp.

And of course, the standard shell syntax:
Code:
% cat file1 | grep statement > file2
...is extremely helpful.
That's a bit of a bad habit, you can just go:
Code:
% grep statement file1  > file2
Grep can read files on it's own.

I saw someone used that kind of command with sed, too. A bit overuse of pipe :D

Speaking of pipeline :D
Master Foo and the Ten Thousand Lines

Master Foo once said to a visiting programmer: “There is more Unix-nature in one line of shell script than there is in ten thousand lines of C”.

The programmer, who was very proud of his mastery of C, said: “How can this be? C is the language in which the very kernel of Unix is implemented!”

Master Foo replied: “That is so. Nevertheless, there is more Unix-nature in one line of shell script than there is in ten thousand lines of C”.

The programmer grew distressed. “But through the C language we experience the enlightenment of the Patriarch Ritchie! We become as one with the operating system and the machine, reaping matchless performance!”

Master Foo replied: “All that you say is true. But there is still more Unix-nature in one line of shell script than there is in ten thousand lines of C”.

The programmer scoffed at Master Foo and rose to depart. But Master Foo nodded to his student Nubi, who wrote a line of shell script on a nearby whiteboard, and said: “Master programmer, consider this pipeline. Implemented in pure C, would it not span ten thousand lines?”

The programmer muttered through his beard, contemplating what Nubi had written. Finally he agreed that it was so.

“And how many hours would you require to implement and debug that C program?” asked Nubi.

“Many”, admitted the visiting programmer. “But only a fool would spend the time to do that when so many more worthy tasks await him”.

“And who better understands the Unix-nature?” Master Foo asked. “Is it he who writes the ten thousand lines, or he who, perceiving the emptiness of the task, gains merit by not coding?”

Upon hearing this, the programmer was enlightened.

http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/ten-thousand.html

I used to use a nice textbased MSN client called Pebrot. But it was annoying that if I wrote to someone and they answer some time later it opened a new window and you got lots of windows and it was hard to follow conversations. Has anyone used this program and perhaps got rid of this problem? Or anyone using another good MSN text based client still being developed?

DemoDoG said:
I used to use a nice textbased MSN client called Pebrot. But it was annoying that if I wrote to someone and they answer some time later it opened a new window and you got lots of windows and it was hard to follow conversations. Has anyone used this program and perhaps got rid of this problem? Or anyone using another good MSN text based client still being developed?

bsddaemon said:
Have you tried finch?

I'm in agreement with bsddaemon, if you want to Instant Message via Command-Line, Finch is the way to go.

I love irssi or Bitc*X for IRC though. :) [can't say the word or else: *beep**beep**beep**beep**beep*]

Using vim on a *bsd box is just sick and wrong, imo. nvi for life! :D

I'm using the cli less and less as time goes on -this is mostly because lynx is increasingly less able to handle what the web has become and I've never liked any of the ircII-based clients (bx, epic, etc).

Actually, my favorite cli app would probably be the game dopewars. It's been too long since I've played that.

• Thanks
Reactions: Oko
rliegh said:
Using vim on a *bsd box is just sick and wrong, imo. nvi for life! :D

bsddaemon said:
Hmm, but one of crucial features of vim is to able to handle multiple undo buffers

Using vim on a *bsd box is just sick and wrong:)
There is even a hospital here in California that cure people from VIM ;)
Last time I checked Nvi supports multiple buffers and infinite undo. The only thing that Nvi doesn't support is syntax highlighting. Bearing in mind that 25% of humans are color blind
at least for some colors that is not such a big deal. I wish Keith Bostic just kept syntax highlighting from Elvis (bold font instead of color). As you know nvi was coded in 1992 starting from Elvis as nvi was of those famous three files that had to be removed from BSD 4.4 light since they belonged to AT&T.

And please do not tell me anything about tabs. You can split the window even in the original vi with
Code:
:N secondfilename

Two more cents...

Kinda old school perhaps, but hey:
  1. mpg123
  2. aumix
  3. foobox (*)

Plus of course the obvious, such as lynx, mutt, vim, slrn etc.

Fonz

Ad (*): an ncurses-based mp3 jukebox proggy I wrote years ago

Is it possible to link a terminalbased torrentclient like rtorrent to firefox so it can be started by simply clicking on the link in firefox?

fonz said:
Kinda old school perhaps, but hey:
  1. mpg123
  2. aumix
  3. foobox (*)

Plus of course the obvious, such as lynx, mutt, vim, slrn etc.

Fonz

Ad (*): an ncurses-based mp3 jukebox proggy I wrote years ago

mp3blaster is quite nice also ;)

vim, elinks, tmux, mksh, mplayer/playd, irssi, TeX/LaTeX, sh, perl, transmission-daemon, burncd, mkisofs, ImageMagick, SciLab, MathOmatic, ssh, sudo....

base unix utilities, especially man

rxvt-unicode

lookat ($PAGER, I can read man pages way easier)
mmv (cp -iv single file sub)
hgrep (highlighted grep)
zsh ( .zshrc on the web, functions, HISTSIZE, others
........^^^ someone else did all the work......
mutt ( tho used primarily to persue usenet threads )

Back