Your favorite text based application

DemoDoG said:
Is it possible to link a terminalbased torrentclient like rtorrent to firefox so it can be started by simply clicking on the link in firefox?
Don't know about rtorrent, but that should be possible with transmission (daemon).

I just tried deskutils/when, and I totally love it, especially when I added
Code:
echo '============================='
[ `which when` ] && when w
to my ~/.profile

It's nice even reminder app written in perl :D

Slightly OT, but worth mentioning. I just started using evilvte and quite like it. Nice, very lite VTE based terminal emulator.

I feel obligated to point out that the program moc (package) mocp (program) is the best way to play music on the console whenever I get support in my kernel.

sometimes, scr2png may be useful
pkg_descr:
scr2png takes a syscons screenshot generated by "vidcontrol -p" and
converts it in to a PNG image.
man scr2png:
Code:
EXAMPLES
     The command sequence:

vidcontrol -p < /dev/ttyv0 > shot.scr
           scr2png < shot.scr > shot.png

will capture the contents of the first virtual terminal, and redirect the
     output to the shot.scr file.  scr2png then processes this file, and
     writes the output to shot.png.  Of course this could be rewritten as

vidcontrol -p < /dev/ttyv0 | scr2png > shot.png

ImageMagick is nice, although I only use it for thumbnails:
mogrify -resize 25% *.jpg

ii is a nifty IRC client that makes two text files for each channel, one that you edit to send messages and one that you read from to see channel output. I discovered it right as I was wishing that Irssi could use vi for input and tmux for windowing—switched right away, and it works great!

nmh is a mail client that works without a curses interface, so you can easily pipe commands. It’s great for the shell. And OpenSMTPD lets me relay everything to GMail for sending.

oliverh said:
Using herrie for music in the console now instead of cmus. Herrie is a project of FreeBSD developer Ed Schouten.
I used Herrie but it didn't play very nice, as my resources were rather limited on that pc, the only thing I could get to play reasonable well and being in console was mocp.
But then I began to use it and fell in love :), so now that is my preferred music app - unless I am sitting at a windows box (which should be banished I feel so bad about those computers, but thats another story)
mocp ftw.

I don't have any performance related problems with herrie on an Intel Atom or even AMD Geode with just 800MHz.

Gabe_G23 said:
I'm in agreement with bsddaemon, if you want to Instant Message via Command-Line, Finch is the way to go.

I love irssi or Bitc*X for IRC though. :) [can't say the word or else: *beep**beep**beep**beep**beep*]

Rampant anti-Saxonism on the moderator community. After 1066 all the the old Ænglisc terms become verboten & we had to suffer with using Latin to talk about filthy things like genitalia & excrement.

Oh, that painfully off topic. Umm . . .

I like net/tinyfugue & net/tintin++-devel.

Also, for writing, editors/joe is a fine fine thing.

Back