Xorg 7.4 upgrade - report

Come to think of it, the reason I had the XXX backup was because I installed the new nvidia driver via ports after updating it.

I've attached a patch file if anyone else wants to update their nvidia-driver port for 180.22.

Attachments

• nvidia-driver-180.22.patch
    1.1 KB · Views: 260
I guess the installer from nvidia.com uses the exact same XXX trick, because I only use the tarball from their site. BTW, always nice to see this in the port's Makefile after the fact ..

Code:
# xorg-server-1.4 installs its own ${LOCALBASE}/lib/xorg/modules/libwfb.so,
# so back it up so it can be later restored similarly to what NVidia does:
.if ${NVVERSION} >= 974600
        @${MV} -f ${PREFIX}/${MODULESDIR}/libwfb.so \
                ${PREFIX}/${MODULESDIR}/XXX-libwfb.so.%%.${XSERVVERSION}
.endif

Oh well.

tobe said:
I did experience such failures with xfce itself, pidgin and transmission.
The solution was to rebuild everything with 'portupgrade -rf xfce', 'portupgrade -rf transmission', 'portupgrade -rf pidgin'.
I think you can just use 'portupgrade -rRf xorg' to rebuild all ports dependent on xorg and all ports xorg depends on. It's a very long operation btw :)

The portupgrade -rRf xorg command by itself didn't solve the problem. However, I followed that by a portupgrade -rf xfce command and a reboot and finally Thunar and everything else is working correctly. What a pain, I spent many hours on this. Thanks very much, Tobe.

STOP BEFORE YOU BREAK SOMETHING ELSE!

Sorry I always wanted to say that.
devel.gif

put this in your rc.conf and be happy =)

hald_enable="YES"

Would someone mind pointing me in the right direction in getting this information in UPDATING to inform those of us who don't generally run desktops or hald.

UNIXgod said:

I'm afraid it's not quite as simple as that. At least, not for everyone.

UNIXgod said:
Would someone mind pointing me in the right direction in getting this information in UPDATING to inform those of us who don't generally run desktops or hald.

The biggest discussion I've found on the 7.4 updating issues is here and on the freebsd-x11 mailing list (webified archive here).

I'd imagine the devs would prefer to hear of new experiences via the mailing list, so long as signal-noise is maintained.

There are a lot of issues with this update - both the portupgrade itself, and the config changes/requirements. Different people are having different experiences, and one size does not fit all. I've been fighting this one for two days now, and still don't have a fully working system.

What is certain is that UPDATING doesn't even touch the surface of the issues with this update. I haven't had an upgrade go this badly for several years, and had hoped such issues were a thing of the past. I truly appreciate the hard work of the devs and maintainers, but this experience has me reconsidering my planned (permanent) migration to FreeBSD.

Me, I have only 2 problems :

1/ libwfb problem (nvidia user)
2/ My keyboard layout (I'm french) is not set . I must call setxkbmap fr) I think I must configure hald to set my layout, but, I don't known how..

Xorg/gnome-library-ports both updated fine, here, finally.
nothing about HAL in rc.conf. (not using gnome)
(twm >> windowmaker >> fvwm2 >> now-smaller-one here)
maybe each time xorg OR gnome is bumped the newest
(( gnome -- related--rc.conf -- data )) can be put anew in
UPDATING just so everyone can be reminded
(ignoring the message above because I appeared as I typed
this one)

mart said:
google

x11-input.fdi
input.xkb.layout
input.xkb.variant

but don't blame me if things get even uglier... :)

---

Edit: I wish there were FreeBSD resources like this... http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg_input_hotplugging

Yes, yes, I know it's not FreeBSD, but much of it is still relevant.

I know, but the question is :
Where to put this ?

1/ Edit /usr/local/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-x11-input.fdi

2/ Or create a file in /usr/local/etc/hal/fdi/policy ??? (because this dir is empty) (copy from file from local/share file ?)

nORKy said:
I know, but the question is :
Where to put this ?

1/ Edit /usr/local/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-x11-input.fdi

2/ Or create a file in /usr/local/etc/hal/fdi/policy ??? (because this dir is empty) (copy from file from local/share file ?)

2 definitely.

I have soo far found one plus: I get Xv-extensions on my Radeon card. The middle "mouse"-button on my T60 does not work. I have the same problem as described earlier where typed text does not show up until the mouse cursor is moved. External screens does not work. The Swedish keyboard layout does though? ;)

Tha annoying thing is just before this upgrade I got a 22'' widescreen, a usb mouse and keyboard, plugged everyting in to my laptop and everyting just worked out of the box. Did this upgrade come maybe a little bit too early?

marino said:
The portupgrade -rRf xorg command by itself didn't solve the problem. However, I followed that by a portupgrade -rf xfce command and a reboot and finally Thunar and everything else is working correctly. What a pain, I spent many hours on this. Thanks very much, Tobe.
Yes, 'portupgrade -rRf xorg' doesn't seems to rebuild all ports relevant to xorg. :/

UNIXgod said:
STOP BEFORE YOU BREAK SOMETHING ELSE!

Sorry I always wanted to say that.
devel.gif

a 'dbus_enable="YES"' also perhaps.

Yes, is seems good to use HAL if you are about to use HAL so to speak. ;)

Is there anyone out there who has got everyting to work by now?

I would be much obliged if someone told me how to get back the "middle-button-paste" function on my Thinkpad.

nORKy said:
2/ My keyboard layout (I'm french) is not set . I must call setxkbmap fr) I think I must configure hald to set my layout, but, I don't known how..
You must set "AllowEmptyInput" "off" into your ServerLayout section, or X will replace your well configured keyboard by a probed one.

tobe said:
You must set "AllowEmptyInput" "off" into your ServerLayout section, or X will replace your well configured keyboard by a probed one.

No no.

1) copy /usr/local/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-x11-input.fdi to /usr/local/etc/hal/fdi/policy/

2) Edit the file and add som lines like:
Code:
<merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">fr</merge>
of your choise.

Done.

aragon said:
Cheers mate. Instead of reinstalling any Xorg bits, I just did this after installing the nvidia-driver:

Code:
# cd /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/
# rm libwfb.so
# ln -s XXX-libwfb.so.%%.xorg-server-1.5.3_2,1 libwfb.so

All good now. Posting this from Xorg 7.4 with nVidia driver 180.22 :)

My install, for whatever reason, does not have any of the XXX-libwfb.so files installed for me to link against so I had to go with replacing libglx.so per DutchDaemon's example.

I also noticed that my libwfb.so file was really, really old (almost a year) so I removed it before rebuilding xorg-drivers. After that it appeared to be the correct file and everything fired up correctly.

As others have mentioned, I had to rebuild pidgin/libpurple and xchat2 before they would work properly.

I could not get the following ports to work until I ran 'portupgrade -rRf www/firefox3'

x11/nvidia-settings
www/firefox3
mail/thunderbird

Things that still seem to be broken:

x11/xlockmore no longer does any of the OpenGL screen savers (just a blank screen) I suspect this has something to do with MesaGL/libGLU:

GL can not render with root visual
Visual info: screen 0, visual id 0x21, class TrueColor, depth 24
64 pixels allocated
GL could not create rendering context on screen 0.
GL could not create rendering context on screen 0.

nvidia-settings still does not like something with my OpenGL/GLX settings. When I click on the "OpenGL/GLX Information" area it says 'Fail to query the GLX server vendor'

I'll do more testing today. I just go excited because I saw my keyboard and mouse work for the first time in two days.

Would be nice if they could put a legacy port called x11/xorg73 or what not so those of us that need a usable system now could have one.

Better yet downgrade x11/xorg to 7.3 and create x11/xorg-devel for those who want to play with 7.4

Xorg 7.4 is probably a good piece of software, but if you cannot run it (hopefully just yet, like me...) and you need a working X-station, do the coward move - fetch the port snapshot of 7.1-RELEASE ...

My system runs 7.1-RELEASE and I have manged to get X running again after upgrading to xorg 7.4. I'm using two ati X1300 pci-e cards and am running hald and dbus-daemon.

The last issue I know if has to do with my window manager. I have a locally hacked version of tvtwm and it looks like all XKeyEvents that are received by tvtwm have the Mod2Mask state bit set.

Here is xev output for 7.3 and 7.4 for the left ALT key:
Code:
[B]7.3[/B]

KeyPress event, serial 25, synthetic NO, window 0x2600001,
    root 0x85, subw 0x0, time 345473077, (134,89), root:(649,779),
    state [color="Red"]0x0[/color], keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 25, synthetic NO, window 0x2600001,
    root 0x85, subw 0x0, time 345474765, (134,89), root:(649,779),
    state [color="Red"]0x8[/color], keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,

[B]7.4[/B]

KeyPress event, serial 29, synthetic NO, window 0xa00002,
    root 0xc0, subw 0x0, time 6843042, (136,63), root:(218,145),
    state [color="Red"]0x10[/color], keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes: 

KeyRelease event, serial 29, synthetic NO, window 0xa00002,
    root 0xc0, subw 0x0, time 6843317, (136,63), root:(218,145),
    state [color="Red"]0x18[/color], keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,

0x00000001      ShiftMask
0x00000002      LockMask
0x00000004      ControlMask
[color="Red"]0x00000008[/color]      Mod1Mask
[color="Red"]0x00000010[/color]      Mod2Mask
0x00000020      Mod3Mask
0x00000040      Mod4Mask
0x00000080      Mod5Mask
0x00000100      Button1Mask
0x00000200      Button2Mask
0x00000400      Button3Mask
0x00000800      Button4Mask
0x00001000      Button5Mask

What am I don't wrong?

switching my laptop to gentoo linux until this blows over.

I did a clean install and from what I can see the nvidia driver is also an issue with this release. I used the pkg to downgrade X and also have issues.

I have no interest in beta testing 7.4 xorg.

Back