Xorg 7.4 upgrade - report

ale said:
You can safely run # pkg_delete -ix xphelloworld as for
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/MOVED.diff?r1=1.1783;r2=1.1784;f=h

What is the driver causing troubles?
Updating the ports and running pkgdb fixed the problem with 'xphelloworld' :)

The driver is xf86-drivers-via, it's ignored because:
"requires pcivideoptr typedef"
(or something like this, i've read it quickly on the screen because i'm actually rebuilding all updated ports and dependencies with -arR)

I don't need this driver so i don't think it's a problem.

Now i hope everything will build and work fine, i'm not against console mode but sometime i feel the need to run X :)

rebuilding again xorg-server fixed glclock, but glexcess (glxs) only halfway.
mesa-demos (glxgears) building (or not, it is in the background* )
AFAIK, now whenever the
libdrm >> ( libGL and dri >> ) happens,
for glclock to work, xorg-server must be rebuilt (in this case, maybe
or maybe not because its version had changed. Forgot already.)
Took only 20 minutes today.
* AFAIK it built okay. I heard the /yell/ just then...

My mouse now works but...

I had to use sysinstall to get it to work. While I am now able to use the xf86-video-ati driver for my PCI Radeon 7000 card, the GUI is very sluggish.

1 - When I first move a window it is hesitant to move but after a second or two it will move with little to no resistance.

2 - Moving a window while over another window shows tearing/artifacts.

3 - The scroll bar lags behind the mouse and the faster the mouse is moved the further behind the scroll bar falls. It also doesn't seem to try to stay with the mouse, but instead follows the path the mouse has taken. Good luck playing LBreakout2! The good news is the mouse wheel is instantaneous.

4 - When browsing the web you can clearly see the windows getting filled with the contents of the page. As a matter of fact, on some pages it looks like those scenes in movies where a computer is clearing up an image and you can see each pass happening.

QUESTIONS: I noticed a previous poster mentioning not compiling HAL into xorg-server so my questions are:

1 - Do I need xorg-server compiled with HAL if I manually mount everything?

2 - Does not compiling HAL into xorg-server make it more or less stable?

troberts said:
...mouse probs ..

Before recompiling X, try

Code:
moused_nondefault_enable="NO"
moused_enable="NO"

in rc.conf and restart the system (or 'killall moused' and restart X).

troberts said:
1 - Do I need xorg-server compiled with HAL if I manually mount everything?
As I've said, I've always compiled xorg-server WITHOUT_HAL. I have hal installed but xorg-server doesn't depend on it. So hal still finds e.g. usb disks and mounts them automatically. As you mount everything manually, you can skip the install unless other ports you install depends on it.

troberts said:
2 - Does not compiling HAL into xorg-server make it more or less stable?
I have no stability problem with xorg. I had problem in the past but caused by bad nvidia-driver support.
Now the only change I had to make is adding the AllowEmptyInput to xorg.conf as said before and in UPDATING. Mouse and kayboard work perfectly on both xorg and console.

A new version of hal as been committed few hours ago. It should improve the stability/functionality situation with xorg-server.

Thanks for the info ale, hope it helps, 10 hard resets don't really sound good ... Nothing helped here so far, the computer locks after startx.

Things are getting better :)

I've updated hal and set AllowEmptyInput to off in order to have the synaptics driver and my good old french keyboard back.

I'm now able to start xfce4 and i must admit i was missing it.
Now i still have a rather strange problem, it seems that - just like xfce4 - some ports needs to be rebuilt in order to work, or they will just hang without dropping a single line of output. For example, i had to rebuild pidgin.

Is something broken in my dependencies ?
How can i rebuild all my currently installed ports ?

tobe said:
I guess something like 'portupgrade -Rf xorg' should do the trick.

YMMV (your milage may vary.
I would categorize the ports which don't work into
meta-ports, individual ports, and libraries. See
my earlier post about a pipe to portmaster.
That is because I have too many ports installed for
portmanager "usually". I often use it just for
"p5- " or just "gstreamer- "
This is to reiterate in a rough-draft a process in
an earlier post herein, for people who search the
forum for the specific dependencies. And
I hope it is accurate:
libdrm >>
dri, libGL >>
xorg-server >>
mesa-drivers >>
libGLU >>
libglut ...
(reason: has one ever seen glclock !!?? it is a WOW )
unsure where to put nvidia-driver offhand

troberts said:
I had to use sysinstall to get it to work. While I am now able to use the xf86-video-ati driver for my PCI Radeon 7000 card, the GUI is very sluggish.

2 - Moving a window while over another window shows tearing/artifacts.

Interesting - so this doesn't just affect the nv video driver I'm using for my nVidia 8600GT PCIE card.

I have semi-solved the window tearing/artifacts issue:

1) Disable acceleration - but only if you enjoy watching paint dry. [Option "NoAccel" "True"]

or my current preferred option...

2) Switch acceleration from the default of XAA to EXA - this halves the frame rate (240fps to 102fps with glxgears), but the tearing/artifacts go away. [Option "AccelMethod" "EXA", Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"]

For the XFCE users here, is anyone else now experiencing a failure of Thunar to launch? As well as the "exo-open" command used to launch from the menu?

I've completely rebuilt xorg 7.4 and XFCE 4.4.3 (did a pkg_deinstall -R on both meta ports then portinstall) and nothing restores the functionality. I see some of you mention XFCE and not this problem, so it appears just to be isolated to me. I am wondering if I can blame the XFCE breakage on the xorg update.

FreeBSD 7.1, AMD64.

marino said:
For the XFCE users here, is anyone else now experiencing a failure of Thunar to launch? As well as the "exo-open" command used to launch from the menu?
I did experience such failures with xfce itself, pidgin and transmission.
The solution was to rebuild everything with 'portupgrade -rf xfce', 'portupgrade -rf transmission', 'portupgrade -rf pidgin'.
I think you can just use 'portupgrade -rRf xorg' to rebuild all ports dependent on xorg and all ports xorg depends on. It's a very long operation btw :)

I'm happy with yesterday's hald update. It fixed a problem I experienced with a USB KVM switch. After switching away from and back to my laptop (which is hooked up to a USB KVM switch, which has a USB mouse and a USB keyboard attached) I lost my mouse every single time. The keyboard and the touchpad mouse on the laptop worked, but not the external mouse. With the new hald, everything is back to normal.

I can at least startx as root with new hal, however it locks up as usual with a normal user.

//edit
seems everything I put in .xinitrc fails, no fluxbox, no blackbox, just a lockup.

To throw in my results/efforts:

Xorg starts but then immediately locks up. There are no (EE) errors, just a complaint about 'failed to set mtrr: Invalid argument'

I'm attempting a lengthy 'portupgrade -rRf xorg' to see if that helps fix whatever is wrong.

:(

DutchDaemon said:
Had a lot of trouble on the X/Nvidia front last night (including those "miZeroLineScreenIndex" messages in libwfb and that annoying mouse/keyboard interaction / interrupt problem).

I did a massive recompile (portupgrade -rRf xorg-7.4), built the NVIDIA driver (from nvidia.com) all over again after that, and then put this in rc.conf:
Is there anything else you did? I've just done a fresh FreeBSD 7.1 install and attempting to get Xorg 7.4 working. Even with the latest 180.22 nVidia drivers I'm getting the miZeroLineScreenIndex symbol error in libwfb...

trev said:
or my current preferred option...

2) Switch acceleration from the default of XAA to EXA - this halves the frame rate (240fps to 102fps with glxgears), but the tearing/artifacts go away. [Option "AccelMethod" "EXA", Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"]
I enabled the "AccelMethod" option but I did not see the "MigrationHeuristic" option in my xorg.conf file. The tearing is worse, but the interface is much improved. The scrolling only has a lag if I move the mouse very fast, I am able to play LBreakout2 again, and web pages are almost instantaneous. The refresh effect is gone from Thunar and Firefox; however, it is still there with LBreakout2, but only when moving between screens.

KernelPanic said:
To throw in my results/efforts:

Xorg starts but then immediately locks up. There are no (EE) errors, just a complaint about 'failed to set mtrr: Invalid argument'

I'm attempting a lengthy 'portupgrade -rRf xorg' to see if that helps fix whatever is wrong.

:(

xorg still hangs just after start up. But now I have errors:

dlopen: /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules//libwfb.so: Undefined symbol "miZeroLineScreenIndex"
(EE) Failed to load /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/libwfb.so
(EE) Failed to load module "wfb" (loader failed, 7)

Oddly enough I did install the nvidia-driver AFTER installing xorg. At this point, I have no idea how to proceed. I've even tried to use the 'nv' driver and it still freezes right after starting up.

FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE-p1
XORG 7.4
windowmaker-0.92.0_5
nvidia-driver-177.80
*All taken from current ports

My xorg.conf file is minimal:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic/"
FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
# Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "keyboard"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Unknown"
HorizSync 30.0 - 110.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 150.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
# Driver "nv"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "Quadro FX3450/4000 SDI"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "1"
Option "nologo" "1"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

aragon said:
Is there anything else you did? I've just done a fresh FreeBSD 7.1 install and attempting to get Xorg 7.4 working. Even with the latest 180.22 nVidia drivers I'm getting the miZeroLineScreenIndex symbol error in libwfb...

Ah yes, that turned out to be a tricky one. You will find that /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/libwfb.so is a symlink to libnvidia-wfb.so.1.

For some reason not known to me THIS NVIDIA MODULE WILL NOT WORK! with X.org 7.4. That's the one throwing the error.

You will have to reinstall X.org 7.4 to get the symlink replaced by X.org's libwfb.so. I had a quick look: it's in /usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server/. Note: you may still have it as "XXX-libwfb.so.%%.xorg-server-1.5.3_2,1". If that's the case, you can symlink libwfb.so to it.

BUT: after reinstalling, you must go to /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions, move libglx.so out of the way, and make libglx.so a symlink to libglx.so.1 (that's NVIDIA's GLX module).

I'll give you the relevant parts of both directories:

Code:
/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules:
(NVIDIA's wfb module is actually unused here)

-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  263684 Jan 27 19:46 libnvidia-wfb.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel     793 Jan 27 15:10 libwfb.la
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  198798 Jan 27 15:10 libwfb.so

/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions:

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel       11 Jan 27 19:46 libglx.so -> libglx.so.1
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  1226456 Jan 27 19:46 libglx.so.1

The relevant parts of /var/log/Xorg.0.log for wfb and glx should be:

Code:
(II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"

(II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules//libwfb.so
(II) Module wfb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"

Hope this helps.

Until NVIDIA adjusts to X.org 7.4, you will have to keep this in mind, because next time you install Xorg (for, say, a minor update), you will have to check these modules again.

Another update:

Reading over /usr/ports/UPDATING again, I threw
Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off" into my ServerLayout section and now it is at least functional.

I guess I'm not one of 'most' users. :\

DutchDaemon said:
Ah yes, that turned out to be a tricky one. You will find that /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/libwfb.so is a symlink to libnvidia-wfb.so.1.

For some reason not known to me THIS NVIDIA MODULE WILL NOT WORK! with X.org 7.4. That's the one throwing the error.

Cheers mate. Instead of reinstalling any Xorg bits, I just did this after installing the nvidia-driver:

Code:
# cd /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/
# rm libwfb.so
# ln -s XXX-libwfb.so.%%.xorg-server-1.5.3_2,1 libwfb.so

All good now. Posting this from Xorg 7.4 with nVidia driver 180.22 :)

Ah, you still had it ;) I got tired of these XXX things popping up all over the place, so I kept removing them :) Make sure you have the proper GLX module as well, though, esp. with Xscreensaver. The X.org version can't render a lot of them properly.

Back