Xorg 7.4 upgrade - report

ale said:
Please, look at my post in another thread [post=11169]here[/post]

Unfortunately it doesn't help if you're using amd64. However, I did post a couple of workarounds earlier in this thread in the case of amd64.

leres said:
What am I don't wrong?
It took awhile but I figured this out. The problem is that my mobo comes up with num lock on and does not have an bios knob to default to off. In addition my happy hacking keyboard does not have a num lock key.

The solution was to install and run numlockx as part of my .xinitrc.

Helpful during debugging were xev and especially xkbwatch.

Now my only 7.4 issue is that I can't start X, exit it and restart it; the system reboots (with no crash dump).

To my luck I did the update before the instructions were added to /usr/ports/UPDATING. So I applied my default update strategy:

# portmaster -Da
# pkg_libchk -qo | xargs -o portmaster -D

Everything was built fine, but X didn't start any more, so I read my Xorg.0.log file, removed the offending lines in my xorg.conf and got it running. Without mouse or keyboard.

I glimpsed from the log that X wants hald and looked up in the xorg.conf manual page how to deactivate this feature and everything is working fine.

Using hald is a safe way to panic my system, so using it is not an option.

All in all this didn't occupy much of my time, especially considering that it was such a major update.

I also did clean install from ports and everything was the same as above.
I got my mouse and keyboard working only after inserting hald_enable="YES" in rc.conf.
But now only twm (xdm) is starting fine. First gdm - neither mouse nor keyboard working, now kdm - same result. What is interesting that if #killall Xorg keyboard&mouse work in both gdm and kdm after X restarting...

I followed the advice of many of the posters here and used portupgrade on xorg and xfce4 and some of the related ports and most of the issues seem to be fixed (Trash service, etc). However it seems I am still suffering keyboard input delay at times, and flash videos seem to be stuttering, perhaps I need to re-build the flash plugin related ports and firefox.

On a side note I recompiled xf86-input-mouse and xfce4-desktop but for some reasons the desktop icons won't recognize a double click, however right click -> open does work.

Sorry for the double post, but I do not have permission to edit my own posts, if a moderator wants to merge the last two posts that would be great.

After compiling xorg-server, hal and following the instructions in UPDATING regarding the mouse and keyboard all issues seem to have been resolved thus far.

Enabling hald fixed the keyboard/mouse issue for me, I 177.80 or whichever is in ports atm had that libwfb issue for me too, what Dutch Daemon said fixed it, but OpenGL didn't work.

I installed latest driver from nvidia, 3d acceleration now works fine :D

nvidia-settings didn't work but I'll try what they said to install if there was a problem in a bit

leres said:
Now my only 7.4 issue is that I can't start X, exit it and restart it; the system reboots (with no crash dump).

Which driver do you use? I experienced the same misbehavior using the intel driver (Thinkpad X61/GMA X3100). Vesa works. I also tried building xorg with and without HAL, it doesn't matter.

OT: I'm absolutly unhappy with that situation, no suspend/resume and now also no way back to the console once x11 was started. :(

Kernel panic, black screen, reset - solution

Hi,

found out that in rc.conf an enabled hald, a disabled moused and a disabled moused_nondefault produces a black screen, then a couple of seconds later there follows a kernel panic.

The fatal thing is, after booting the system the kernel comes up with a root file system in READ-ONLY mode. To make fs again writable type in (single user mode):

mount -o rw /

Now you are able to edit your rc.conf.

Further, you definitely will need version 1.5.3_5,1 of xorg-server. With the old version 1.5.3_4,1 it was impossible to get back my system to life. Be sure to compile xorg-server with enabled hald (make config). In rc.conf now I use an enabled hald and an enabled moused, too.

Now Xorg is working again, but it is working slower...

hello~

well..as for me, and my adventures during updating xorg-server to the lastest version:

i've installed 3BSD 7.1 RELEASE with xorg as package from disk.
after that i've updated my ports tree and rebuilt everything using "portupgrade -aRr". there've been several ports marked as "IGNORED".
after having all my ports (well, except those marked as IGNORED) recompiled, i have my xorg-server compiled with default settings (i.e. with "HAL" enabled, for example).
following the instructions in UPDATING file, i've updated /etc/X11/xorg.config:
Section "ServerLayout"
option "AllowEmptyInput" "off" ##added
EndSection
and AFTER these performed steps i've FINALLY installed nvidia-driver from ports. it said smth like at the end of its installation:
===> Checking if x11/nvidia-driver already installed
mv: rename /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/libwfb.so to /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/XXX-libwfb.so.%%.xorg-server-blablalbla: No such file or directory*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver.
i've executed this suggestion described here, and now nvidia-driver built fine.
later i said X to use "nvidia" driver in xorg.conf and invoked "reboot now".
well, my Xorg seems to be working fine as well as keyboard and mouse.

but X cannot find "libwfb.so module" in any case. i have such "EE" errors in my console when i execute startx.

any ideas?

x11/nvidia-driver-71xx legacy xorg-7.4 xorg-server-1.5.3_5

x11/nvidia-driver-71xx (legacy,71.86.06, from ports)

parts of my xorg.conf:
Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "extmod"
#       Load  "record"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "glx"
#       Load  "xtrap"
        Load  "dri"
        Load  "freetype"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Option      "NvAGP"      "3"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
        B1oardName   "NV5 [RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro]"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

the result (from /var/log/Xorg.0.log):

nvidia_drv.so: Undefined symbol "AllocateScreenPrivateIndex"
Code:
(II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so
dlopen: /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so: Undefined symbol "AllocateScreenPrivateIndex"
(EE) Failed to load /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (loader failed, 7)
(EE) No drivers available.

when i use "nv" (xf86-video-nv-2.1.12_1)driver, all fine, but slow (no hw video accel, mouse and keyboard works fine, "dbus_enable="YES" and hald_enable="YES" in rc.conf)

with 71.86.07 the same error (nvidia web site, NVIDIA-FreeBSD-86-71.86.07.tar.gz)

with 71.86.08 kernel panic when attaching device with lines
"pci_enable_io" and "pci_enable_busmaster" (i haven't learned yet how to deal with kernel dumps)

got installed (here are only needed, as i think)
Code:
compat5x-i386-5.4.0.8_9
dbus-1.2.4.4
dbus-glib-0.80
hal-0.5.11_17
libpciaccess-0.10.5_4
xorg-server-1.5.3_5

xorg-server-1.5.3_5, hal-0.5.11_17 compiled with default options

should i wait a bit for ports update or something or keep trying? :)

I don't think the drivers in the ports collection work with the xorg server 1.5xx and above. Keep in mind i used the 96.43.10 driver. I'm not sure if the 71.86.xx driver supports the lastest xorg server but it's worth a try.

I tried the beta package from nvidia this morning and it installed fine. No crashes or errors yet. You can find it here.

Finally mine xorg started to work as I want to.

I'm not sure what I did, but DRI with intel-video-driver started to work again. Right after upgrade drm was giving errors and I had to disable it.

Last major thing I did was enable PAE, as I have 4GB. I'm gald I don't have to roll back to an older version of xorg. Perhaps i updated something else. I don't know.

PS: thinkpad t61 with intel x3100 video card.

Confirmation

octix said:
Finally mine xorg started to work as I want to.

I'm not sure what I did, but DRI with intel-video-driver started to work again. Right after upgrade drm was giving errors and I had to disable it.

Can confirm this. Today I also did update a couple of modules and now my xorg with the intel-video-driver is working perfect again. The last odd thing was the broken language support (using here a Non-US keyboard) in conjunction with the known moving-mouse problem.

Maybe the cause for this is the latest and the greatest hal-0.5.11_18, don't know.

techie said:
The last odd thing was the broken language support (using here a Non-US keyboard)
Maybe you have to do something like what's described in [post=10924]this[/post] post.
You may want to investigate better, but I hope this can help you to find your way.

Hello there, I have a problem with upgrading Xorg on some of my machines.
After upgrading Xorg to 7.4 KDE could not start with any command : startkde - kdm - .... and if i run Xorg server i got :>
Code:
(II) RADEON(0): RADEONRestoreMemMapRegisters() :
(II) RADEON(0):   MC_FB_LOCATION   : 0xd3ffd000 0xffff0000
(II) RADEON(0):   MC_AGP_LOCATION  : 0xffffffc0
in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Code:
Mar  2 18:04:16 t4yt4n1 kdm-bin[69646]: X server for display :0 can't be started, session disabled

Mar  2 21:31:37 t4yt4n1 kernel: pci7: <display, VGA> at device 1.0 (no driver attached)

but before upgrading everything was in good state .

and now i'm removing all kde* installed packages . So how can i repair my last good state and why Xorg f----ed my machine ?

FreeBSD t4yt4n1 6.4-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 6.4-RELEASE-p3 #4: Mon Mar 2 12:56:41 IRST 2009 root@t4yt4n1:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/Marines i386

Supermicro X7dvle M/B }|{

Hi solved .... after ==>
1 removing all kde*
2 reinstalling all kde* from source and compiling them ...
but keyboard and mouse still not working ...

;)

t4z3v4r3d said:
but keyboard and mouse still not working ...
Was xorg-server built with or without hal?
Did you try adding the AllowEmptyInput stuff in /etc/X11/xorg.conf (read UPDATING or search the forum!)

ale said:
Did you try adding the AllowEmptyInput stuff in /etc/X11/xorg.conf (read UPDATING or search the forum!)

in the same UPDATING is mentioned later, that this is not required anymore. (20090124)

Hi again
when i run kdm in konsole i got this error that tell me cant find ICONS !!:
kdecore (KIconLoader): ERROR: Error: standard icon theme "crystalsvg" not found!

search in Google and forum has no usable results . what this error means ?
Is it KDE wont be run again on my machine ? :( or anything else ???
Thanks all again

Hi guys!

I have experienced also some problems making xorg 7.4 work... But then after 3 hours of googling and reading some posts I was able to fix mine..

after using ports to upgrade from 7.3 to xorg 7.4, using startx makes my computer freeze with X and I experience the problem given in the posts here. Mouse not running and I have to login to a virtual console and kill the process for X.

Steps i did.
1. On the /etc/X11/xorg.conf Section "Files", removed the Rgb line in xorg.conf
2. On the /etc/X11/xorg.conf Section "ServerLayout", added Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
3. On the /etc/X11/xorg.conf Section "InputDevice", changed Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse" to Option "Device" "/dev/psm0"
4. On the file /etc/rc.conf, added moused_enable="NO" and moused_nodefault_enable="NO"
5. restarted the computer and it works now.

Regards,

Hello , well, stupid question , but how do i upgrade xorg ?
When i try portupgrade xorg or make install in /usr/ports/x11/xorg it says
===> Generating temporary packing list
===> Checking if x11/xorg already installed
===> xorg-7.4 is already installed

and nothing is compiled

Back