Wine version updating and freezing

Hey there!

Suddenly I realized that 9 of of 10 games [except Dragons age origin :-( ] that I usually play work great on FreeBSD with wine-6.
Now I want to leave this very version of wine forever! As far as I know, pkg lock wine should be enough here, right?
And another question is more about the future: say, one day I realize that I want to update wine. How should I update wine 32bits version that is installed into ~/.i386-wine-pkg ?
I assume it will not be automatically updated with wine 64bits?

How should I update wine 32bits version that is installed into ~/.i386-wine-pkg ?
Code:
/usr/local/share/wine/pkg32.sh upgrade
/usr/local/share/wine/pkg32.sh autoremove
/usr/local/share/wine/pkg32.sh clean -a

edit: about not upgrading wine any more, what makes you think future versions will break your games? 🤔

That happens to me twice on the Linux, so.. I assume new wine version brings some fixes for new games while might cripple other games
I mean they managed to fix that at the next update but still

Well, "locking" a package will only work for some time. It will break as soon as some dependency isn't compatible any more, while the upgraded dependency would be needed by some other package...

I never had that experience with wine, but this might be because I generally don't do much "gaming". Anyways, if something like this happens, it's most likely a regression that will be fixed again, so the "way forward" should always make sense...

Indeed, freezing interferes with other packages too much. Wine is usually easy enough to downgrade and rebuild, although dealing with an i386 chroot is somewhat obnoxious.

Got that, thanks for the advice!
Meanwhile, I got Dragon's Age Origin working with wine-proton 😁

One more thing, I've read the one can launch X application from a jail.
What if I create jail, install lib32 and wine there followed by my games.
May this work out? I mean in jail I shouldn't have anything except wine, so "freezing" it there shouldn't mess up anything for my system(outside jail).
I've just installed and successfully launched every single game from my gog library that I usually play using combined wine6 and wine-proton. And I really want to play it safe here, plus it should be an interesting experience to work with jails. If it's possible at all 😄

Answering my own question, regarding wine in jails:
wine works great in jails, almost
I can't get access to the GPU from jails:
Code:
libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information
libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open amdgpu: Cannot open "/home/keltir/.i386-wine-pkg//usr/local/lib/dri/amdgpu_dri.so" (search paths /usr/local/lib/dri:/usr/local/lib32/dri:/home/keltir/.i386-wine-pkg//usr/local/lib/dri, suffix _dri)
libGL error: failed to load driver: amdgpu
libGL error: failed to open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
0024:fixme:d3d:wined3d_guess_card No card selector available for card vendor 0000 (using GL_RENDERER "llvmpipe (LLVM 13.0.0, 256 bits)").
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 00000000 at address 00000000 (thread 0024), starting debugger...

So most likely, it's impossible to shift gaming to the jail, sadly. Same issue is here - https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...pen-amdgpu-doesnt-detect-dev-dri-card0.81817/

Back