Solved Why FreeBSD is so slow?

Hello everybody :)
I have installed and tested FreebsdFreeBSD 10.2 on my laptop - Lenovo X220 - because iI want to use a real Unix system for it robustness.
Previously iI have installed for many years Debian with lightweight package (openbox, pcmanfm). When I compare experiences FreebsdFreeBSD seems to be slower (openbox+pcmanfm).
When iI start chromium it takes longer in FreeBSD than Debian. Pcmanfm desktop take longer. It take really longer :(
I don't know why, but iI used to read in a forum that "FreebsdFreeBSD doesn't manage memory the same way than iLinux".
I really want to use FreebsdFreeBSD but iI can't accept this lack of performance.
Could you tell me what iI should do if iI want to get the same level performance than Debian?

I use to install Chromium from ports, iI have compiled the kernel, but nothing improves its performance significantly.

Others can help you but FreeBSD isn't slow. Otherwise, Netflix wouldn't be using it to serve you video and manage 40% of all internet traffic.

I've got it running on 5 boxes now, three are 'NAS appliance' type servers (no desktop package installed) and two are desktops. Plus another hard drive sitting on a shelf with yet another desktop package installed. The boxes are all at least 5 years old and for all practical purposes have the minimal amount of resources. GNOME3 runs on one. I won't say anything is lightning fast, but its certainly not slow, and it certainly is faster (and way way way more stable) than any other Windows OS I have had in this house.

My PS3 is FreeBSD based, and that is a fast fast device! Maybe that is why they play games on it. ;)

Hello everybody :)
I have installed and tested Freebsd 10.2 on my laptop - Lenovo X220 - because i want to use a real unix system for it robustness.
Previously i have installed for many years debian with lightweight package (openbox, pcmanfm). When I compare experiences Freebsd seems to be slower (openbox+pcmanfm).
When i start chromium it takes longer in FreeBSD than Debian. Pcmanfm desktop take longe. It take realy longer :(
I don't know why, but i used to read in a forum that "freebsd doesn't manage memory the same way than linux".
I really want to use Freebsd but i can't accept this lack of performance.
Could you tell me what i should do if i want to get the same level performance than debian?

I use to install chromium from ports, i have compiled the kernel, but nothing improves its performance signicantly.
Maybe some DNS problem.

I don't know why, but i used to read in a forum that "freebsd doesn't manage memory the same way than linux".
This is very true. FreeBSD makes much better use of memory than the Linux Kernel does. Especially after systemd was introduced, you will find that the Linux Kernel does not utilize free memory as much as it used too.

Ok I really want to get the same experience than yours. I have tested during a week. I tried to install PCBSD because I suppose that there are some material optimization that may be taken into account in default configuration. Contrary to FreeBSD I didn't success the OS installation.

Did you do something to make it run as fast ? I have installed it in my laptop and I really don't know why Chromium starts slower, and the desktop environment too ? Any configuration trick ?
Yes, Systemd is the first reason that made me studying the BSD alternative. I have discovered other advantages but the only one problem regarding my laptop is the performance. I already know that FreeBSD is used by the biggest servers in the world. I am not here trolling, I just would like to get an answer that may probably concern all lenovo X220 :)
Excuse me if my english is not perfect, thank your help :)

The apparent slowness may be caused by using the vesa(4) driver instead of an accelerated driver. Have a look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see what's detected.

I really want to use FreebsdFreeBSD but iI can't accept this lack of performance.
Could you tell me what iI should do if iI want to get the same level performance than Debian?
The lack of performance is inexcusable. I would go back to Debian. Why bother with "slow" OS like FreeBSD.

SirDice : Thank you for your suggestion :) I am going to try the new drivers. The only thing I have done regarding video driver I have installed driver from x11/xorg. I am not sure but I remember that I saw "Intel" in xorg.conf file.

I hope that it will repair the slowness. :) I confirm that I can see it only for graphical applications so the graphical driver hypothesis sounds good for me. :)

Thank you, so I will format again my laptop, then I will come back here to give you information. :)

Hello everybody :D
jrm : I have already done it. Handbook advices to put this option in order get back shell when you quit x11 not to get more performance.

SirDice, Juanitou I have tested your solution : it works PER-FEC-TLY :)
I have installed the latest driver of i915 as you suggested. Then I saw two "device" section in the xorg.conf file. The first one include "driver intel" and the second one included "diver vesa". I have commented all the second device section.
And now it run very very fast :D
I will never come back to debian again :) How can I declare this topic "Solved" ?

Than you all :)
God Bless FreeBSD :D

Glad you got it fixed. If you consider your question answered, go to the top of your thread, click 'Thread Tools' - 'Edit Thread', and select 'Solved' from the Prefix to the left of the topic title.

Thank you for declaring it as "solved" for me. I just have one last question: when the kernel compilation has finished, I executed the command nextboot -k kernel.i915 as it is explained here : https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Update i915 GPU driver to Linux 3.8
Then I start and it works perfectly. But when I reboot again, I see that the started kernel is "kernel" (I suppose it is the default kernel) and not "kernel.i915", and then I get back the bad performance problem.
So my question is: how can I make understand at boot step, that the new default kernel is "kernel.i915" and not "kernel".
Thank you in advance :)

Back