Which games could I play in this platform?

B

BSDAppentic3

Can somebody give me some names of games that runs well in this OS?
Version: 11.1-RELEASE-p6. I think that it's the latest.
Processor: I think i386. To the day of day, still I don't have very clear what my processor is. But somebody time ago give me a clue.
The games could be from Linux, Windows, whatever. Or originals from this OS. If they're from the last, that would be surprising. Because the only games that I know came with the desktop environment. For example: if I (try) to use KDE, well, when I installed it, it came with kolf, kblock, kbounce, kdiamond, everything with "k". That kind of games. The kind of games that can bother after a while of playing them.
That's why I'm asking for something...I don't know, like HL(2), or Portal, or Halo, Counter-Strike (like the latest version, not the ones from 90'), I don't know, something of that style. Or at least, something approximated. Searching in google, I didn't found much.

tobik@
I am begging with "The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind". With
Code:
 make install clean
Once i have finished the install: how can i run the program?
Edit: once time, a user here told me that, instead of writing *dozens* of messages, i should edit the message, updating it. So, here is the first and most common error that i *always* saw when i try to install using this command. If can't fix it, i say it to you.
Code:
root@hostfreebsd:/usr/ports/games/openmw # make install clean
===>   openmw-0.43.0_1 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/sdl2-config - found
===>   openmw-0.43.0_1 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/cmake - found
===>   openmw-0.43.0_1 depends on executable: ninja - found
===>   openmw-0.43.0_1 depends on package: pkgconf>=1.3.0_1 - found
===>   openmw-0.43.0_1 depends on file: /usr/local/lib/libGL.so - found
===>   openmw-0.43.0_1 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/glproto.pc - found
===>   openmw-0.43.0_1 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/dri2proto.pc - found
===>   openmw-0.43.0_1 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/dri3proto.pc - found
===>   openmw-0.43.0_1 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/xt.pc - found
===>   openmw-0.43.0_1 depends on file: /usr/local/lib/qt5/bin/moc - found
===>   openmw-0.43.0_1 depends on file: /usr/local/lib/qt5/bin/qmake - found
===>   openmw-0.43.0_1 depends on shared library: libavcodec.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libavcodec.so)
===>   openmw-0.43.0_1 depends on shared library: libBulletCollision.so - not found
===>   bullet-2.86.1_1 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/cmake - found
===>   bullet-2.86.1_1 depends on executable: ninja - found
===>   bullet-2.86.1_1 depends on file: /usr/local/lib/libGL.so - found
===>   bullet-2.86.1_1 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/glproto.pc - found
===>   bullet-2.86.1_1 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/dri2proto.pc - found
===>   bullet-2.86.1_1 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/dri3proto.pc - found
===>   bullet-2.86.1_1 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/glproto.pc - found
===>   bullet-2.86.1_1 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/dri2proto.pc - found
===>   bullet-2.86.1_1 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/dri3proto.pc - found
===>   bullet-2.86.1_1 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/x11.pc - found
===>   bullet-2.86.1_1 depends on shared library: libGLU.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libGLU.so)
===>   bullet-2.86.1_1 depends on shared library: libglut.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libglut.so)
===>  Configuring for bullet-2.86.1_1
===>  Performing in-source build
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/ports/devel/bullet/work/bullet3-2.86.1
CMake Error: CMake was unable to find a build program corresponding to "Ninja".  CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set.  You probably need to select a different build tool.
-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[2]: stopped in /usr/ports/devel/bullet
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/devel/bullet
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/games/openmw
Sorry if it looks a lot, but i think you should see the entire output, because even when i believe that where not indication of something that went wrong, i'm not sure of what info you need. So, here is it.
Obviously, I am also trying to solve this f8cking error that is making me sick, because i saw it the majority of times that i tried to install something from the ports.
A user told me that if i choose to install from the ports, the better shouldn't be mix between this method and
Code:
 pkg install
. Now that this came to my mind, I'll try to install from that way.
I will be editing and adding more messages according to my progress, or failures.

Read the post-installation message:
OpenMW requires a set of Morrowind data files. If you don't own a
copy of Morrowind, you can buy and download one on e.g. Steam or GOG.
Steam can be installed on FreeBSD/amd64 via emulators/i386-wine or on
FreeBSD/i386 via emulators/wine. GOG is completely accessible via your
web browser and you can simply download your purchase (making this the
easiest of the two options).

Once you have a set of Morrowind data files run openmw-launcher next.
Answer YES to the question if you want to run the installation wizard.
Follow the wizard's instruction to select your Morrowind data files.

Read the post-installation message:
Umm... isn't this a bit difficult to do on ports when one
a) does not know which file(s) to look for,
b) and which dependencies were installed, which also might have post-install notes?
This could be a bit frustrating, I guess...

tobik@
I have two things to tell you:
1) the fisrt, it's that the installation using pkg was successful. But i still want to know, why make fails? What could be the problem?
2) how can i launch the game? The last time that i installed a game of this kind, my desktop environment didn't recognize it, so, it can't find the game. Should i install another desktop? Today, I'm using xfce. Because it was the only (apart of gnome) that i can install and use with no problems.

Snurg
I hope that this message doesn't means what I'm tinking....The worst problem that i all\ways had when trying to play a game (out of Windows)...

Message says you need the data files on the dvd.
(You need to download Morrowwind if you don't have the dvd ready. There are a number of classic games sites where you can download it for free, just g**gle "Morrowwind download")

(You need to download Morrowwind if you don't have the dvd ready. There are a number of classic games sites where you can download it for free, just g**gle "Morrowwind download")
Why g**gle? There's something that i don't know, or do you prefer to simply say of that way? Just curiosity.
And thanks, then it's what i was afraid of...well, let's see if there's *legal free downloads* of it.
God news: i find a site, but i need utorrent. Fortunatelly, i have windows 8 with utorrent. And i think, that i don't want to compromise the host system. So, i think i will uninstall it from here, and play it in the VM of WIn8. Just because of security and stability.

Umm... isn't this a bit difficult to do on ports when one
a) does not know which file(s) to look for,
b) and which dependencies were installed, which also might have post-install notes?
This could be a bit frustrating, I guess...
Oh please... It's in pkg-message in the ports directory. It will be the last message printed after successfully running make install in /usr/ports/games/openmw. It's available with pkg info -D openmw after installation in case you've missed it or want to refer to it later. It's on FreshPorts when you click through to this link: games/openmw. Besides that I copied it here for convenience.

Honestly I'm not sure what you expect from me here.
That would be illegal assuming you care about that stuff.
2) how can i launch the game?
First get the data files from somewhere then run openmw-launcher. It should also appear in your desktop's start menu as "OpenMW Launcher".

If you want decent modern games that people actually play like the ones you suggest in your first post and for them running at max efficiency you need to install Windows (version 10 on insider preview is free of price which leaves you more money for steam games, slow ring updates recommended on insider btw) or like me, purchase a dedicated games console.

For what it is worth, I spent too much time already with oolite. Might be worth a try?

Some of my favorites, they all run pretty decent on a FreeBSD machine provided you have a good graphics card with good drivers, I can highly recommend NVidia cards and their drivers; x11/nvidia-driver. Some people might not like the driver though, it's not open source, it's a binary blob, but it always performs excellent, pretty much on par with Linux or Windows.

games/alienarena # fast paced FPS
games/ufoai # XCom-like turn-based strategy
games/freeciv # Open Source Civilization clone.

I've also had varying success with Steam, either through the Linux binary compatibility or through Wine. But those are mostly a mixed bag of things that somewhat work and things that don't work at all.

Yesterday, a used copy of Drakan, order of the flame was in my mail. Any system that can handle a buildworld should, if needed, be able to run this in wine with software rendering. Now I only need some time...

Yesterday, a used copy of Drakan, order of the flame was in my mail. Any system that can handle a buildworld should, if needed, be able to run this in wine with software rendering. Now I only need some time...
Now that takes me back a few years. That game was pretty awesome, I especially enjoyed the awesome sceneries and the acting was also very much on-par. The voice actors really managed to put in a good dose emotion in there.

and also it is possible to play any Windows® game using wine port.
Some Windows games. Certainly not everything runs correctly on Wine. But that's not limited to FreeBSD, Linux' Wine suffers from the same compatibility issues with certain games.

I replaced "to play any" with "to play almost any" while you quoted my post :)
Wine is a great app, for me, all my favorite old games are working fine.

Wine is a great app, for me, all my favorite old games are working fine.
Definitely. Especially games that are a little older have a higher chance of working. The latest games, not so much. But that might change, Wine is constantly being fixed, updated and improved.

I can highly recommend NVidia cards and their drivers; x11/nvidia-driver. Some people might not like the driver though, it's not open source, it's a binary blob, but it always performs excellent, pretty much on par with Linux or Windows.

Nvidia restricts to Linux (oh, and Windows) their CUDA and Vulkan userspace implementations. The latter is likely to be very important in the future for Wine gaming because of the projects like dxvk and vkd3d, so I'm not sure if it is worth recommending their hardware until (and if) that situation is clarified. On other hand, Amd finally has decent OpenGL (amdgpu) and Vulkan (amdvlk, radv) drivers, and there is even a FreeBSD port, and... too bad their latest GPUs are somewhat underwhelming. Amd also seems to be a bit more popular with miners, with all the pricing and availability effects that entails.

Back