Other What needs to happen to get a newer version of Intellij on FreeBSD

The version of Intellij presently available is 2020.2 on FreeBSD; however, 2021.2.2 is out. How do we get involved to get this updated and what all is required?

Get in touch with the maintainer of the java/intellij port (usually via the listed e-mail address).

If they don't respond, look at the port and update it. I know this sounds scary, but it's actually not as bad as it might seem at first. There is the excellent Porter's Handbook and this community is very helpful too. The #freebsd-ports channel on Libera.Chat IRC turned out to be extremely kind & helpful too.

Get in touch with the maintainer of the java/intellij port (usually via the listed e-mail address).

If they don't respond, look at the port and update it. I know this sounds scary, but it's actually not as bad as it might seem at first. There is the excellent Porter's Handbook and this community is very helpful too. The #freebsd-ports channel on Libera.Chat IRC turned out to be extremely kind & helpful too.
If I really need the update for some reason and the port is outdated, I've try to update myself and see if everything works as expected after updating some parts (usually version and sums are enough, but YMMV) then open a PR with the update and wait to see if the maintainer shows up and approve.

I think I have 2021.2.2 running locally and took those files and raised a PR on github. That wasn't too painful, hopefully it gets pulled. Hopefully going forward, there aren't too many changes and I could write a script to streamline the process a bit and get notified where there are updates.

The github ports repo is a read-only mirror. As far as I know you should send the patch via bugzilla and/or phab. If the bug is open, the maintainer will also be notified automatically by email if he gets set as Assignee / Reviewer.

I'd probably want to compare a couple port trees - one from the past (that contains java/intellij) from 2020 and the current tree (which does not have the 2020 port). Copying a port folder into /usr/ports is not a big problem (going by the logic that portsnap(8) employs). Sometimes, it may be acceptable to have an older version if it compiles and runs OK.
Going further down this line of thinking, there's a chance that the 2021 version of java/intellij just might be in the latest ports tree already (OP should verify that).

I'd probably want to compare a couple port trees - one from the past (that contains java/intellij) from 2020 and the current tree (which does not have the 2020 port). Copying a port folder into /usr/ports is not a big problem (going by the logic that portsnap(8) employs). Sometimes, it may be acceptable to have an older version if it compiles and runs OK.
Going further down this line of thinking, there's a chance that the 2021 version of java/intellij just might be in the latest ports tree already (OP should verify that).
Looks like the Ultimate version is but not the Community version :)

I finally submitted a request in bugzilla for the update. Hopefully it gets accepted, it would be great if git were used, it seems quicker and easier.

Another year has passed and we still don't have an updated version. What can we do?

To be fair, I have spent most of the past 3 years programming in shell which has been fun in its own way. I still would like to have the tools available for use when I want to use them though. I would also bet that I'm not the only one and having outdated tools would discourage others from using FreeBSD as much.

Another year has passed and we still don't have an updated version. What can we do?
Did you create a PR? At the very least open one to request the port be updated. It would be nice if you could also add the patches to update the port. If the maintainer doesn't respond in two weeks it will get a maintainer time-out. And a port committer can commit the update without requiring the maintainer's approval. But if nobody creates a PR in the first place nothing is going to happen.

If you did create a PR, and supplied some patches, but the maintainer hasn't responded yet, send a message to the freebsd-ports@ mailing list. A port committer can have a look at it if the time-out expired.

Is this your PR? PR 259359
If so, looks like quite some testing was done, some problems were found, updated/improved patches were attached and so on ... AND the new maintainer self-assigned the PR, so it's certainly not forgotten.

FYI, this is how I'm installing intellij with the patch above:

# setup ports
[ ! -e /usr/ports/.git ] && {
sudo git clone https://git.FreeBSD.org/ports.git /usr/ports
_USR_PORTS_CREATED=1
}

[ -z $_USR_PORTS_CREATED ] && sudo git -C /usr/ports pull

curl 'https://bz-attachments.freebsd.org/attachment.cgi?id=240395' -o /tmp/intellij-patch-2022.2.4 || _error "intellij-port does NOT exist"

# if already installed, remove
pkg info intellij > /dev/null 2>&1 && sudo pkg remove -y intellij

cd /usr/ports
_info "Applying patch to intellij"
sudo git apply /tmp/intellij-patch-2022.2.4

cd java/intellij
_info "Building intellij"
sudo make install

# after installed, fix the font rendering
# https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/intellij-openjdk-15-fonts-are-not-crisp.77475/#post-559577
sudo rm -f /usr/local/share/intellij/bin/idea.vmoptions

printf '%s\n' '-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on' | _write /usr/local/share/intellij/bin/idea.vmoptions
printf '%s\n' '-Dswing.aatext=true' | _write /usr/local/share/intellij/bin/idea.vmoptions
printf '%s\n' '-Dsun.java2d.xrender=true' | _write /usr/local/share/intellij/bin/idea.vmoptions

# update idea64.vmoptions
sudo gsed -i 's/^-Dsun.java2d.xrender=false/-Dsun.java2d.xrender=true/' /usr/local/share/intellij/bin/idea64.vmoptions
printf '%s\n' '-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on' | _write /usr/local/share/intellij/bin/idea64.vmoptions
printf '%s\n' '-Dswing.aatext=true' | _write /usr/local/share/intellij/bin/idea64.vmoptions

cd /usr/ports/java/intellij

sudo make clean
sudo rm -rf work
sudo git reset --hard HEAD

I set the system JDK separately:

In an unfortunate turn of events, my update was invalidated. I'm trying to reference ArchLinux's package using a newer version of Intellij, but am making slow progress. Here is ArchLinux's package:

Arch Linux Intellij package

Would someone be able to help update the Makefile and other files accordingly?

I had updated intellij to 2022.2.4; however, 2022.3.1 onwards appears to no longer have a separate download without the jetbrains runtime. That means that we need to build the artifact ourselves like what Arch Linux is doing:

Arch Linux Intellij package

Back