Other What needs to happen to get a newer version of Intellij on FreeBSD

tOsYZYny

The version of Intellij presently available is 2020.2 on FreeBSD; however, 2021.2.2 is out. How do we get involved to get this updated and what all is required?

jbodenmann

Get in touch with the maintainer of the java/intellij port (usually via the listed e-mail address).

If they don't respond, look at the port and update it. I know this sounds scary, but it's actually not as bad as it might seem at first. There is the excellent Porter's Handbook and this community is very helpful too. The #freebsd-ports channel on Libera.Chat IRC turned out to be extremely kind & helpful too.

Menelkir

Get in touch with the maintainer of the java/intellij port (usually via the listed e-mail address).

If they don't respond, look at the port and update it. I know this sounds scary, but it's actually not as bad as it might seem at first. There is the excellent Porter's Handbook and this community is very helpful too. The #freebsd-ports channel on Libera.Chat IRC turned out to be extremely kind & helpful too.
If I really need the update for some reason and the port is outdated, I've try to update myself and see if everything works as expected after updating some parts (usually version and sums are enough, but YMMV) then open a PR with the update and wait to see if the maintainer shows up and approve.

OP
T

tOsYZYny

I think I have 2021.2.2 running locally and took those files and raised a PR on github. That wasn't too painful, hopefully it gets pulled. Hopefully going forward, there aren't too many changes and I could write a script to streamline the process a bit and get notified where there are updates.

Alexander88207

Aspiring Daemon

The github ports repo is a read-only mirror. As far as I know you should send the patch via bugzilla and/or phab. If the bug is open, the maintainer will also be notified automatically by email if he gets set as Assignee / Reviewer.

astyle

Daemon

I'd probably want to compare a couple port trees - one from the past (that contains java/intellij) from 2020 and the current tree (which does not have the 2020 port). Copying a port folder into /usr/ports is not a big problem (going by the logic that portsnap(8) employs). Sometimes, it may be acceptable to have an older version if it compiles and runs OK.
Going further down this line of thinking, there's a chance that the 2021 version of java/intellij just might be in the latest ports tree already (OP should verify that).

mrbeastie0x19

I'd probably want to compare a couple port trees - one from the past (that contains java/intellij) from 2020 and the current tree (which does not have the 2020 port). Copying a port folder into /usr/ports is not a big problem (going by the logic that portsnap(8) employs). Sometimes, it may be acceptable to have an older version if it compiles and runs OK.
Going further down this line of thinking, there's a chance that the 2021 version of java/intellij just might be in the latest ports tree already (OP should verify that).
Looks like the Ultimate version is but not the Community version :)

OP
T

tOsYZYny

I finally submitted a request in bugzilla for the update. Hopefully it gets accepted, it would be great if git were used, it seems quicker and easier.

astyle

Daemon

I finally submitted a request in bugzilla for the update. Hopefully it gets accepted, it would be great if git were used, it seems quicker and easier.
The Ports Collection is in fact using Git.

OP
T

tOsYZYny

I mean to say that I cannot submit a PR currently, I have to submit a bug containing the files / patch.