What is the future of FreeBSD as desktop OS?

For the rest of population desktop OS are dead and the future is in hand held devices. FreeBSD doesn't work on those AFAIK.

Given that FreeBSD makes a rock solid 'appliance' OS, in my mind FreeBSD has the potential to gain incredible market share in this growing space. Yeah it might not be able to run on handheld devices today, but that doesn't mean it can't in the future.

IMHO - FreeBSD needs to transition its marketing brand message from "project" to "mission critical readiness, whatever the mission may be". FreeBSD should be running everything from NASA servers, to traffic signalling systems, to medical equipment, to SCADA systems, to handheld devices, and everything in between. Just MHO.

Last edited:
That'd be awesome actually. But FreeBSD would have to go through a major re-design. Those types of devices run Real-Time Operating Systems. Speaking of embedded devices, a BSD Drone project would be pretty interesting. Like a Groff or Beastie drone. :)

Given that FreeBSD makes a rock solid 'appliance' OS, in my mind FreeBSD has the potential to gain incredible market share in this growing space. Yeah it might not be able to run on handheld devices today, but that doesn't mean it can't in the future.

IMHO - FreeBSD needs to transition its marketing brand message from "project" to "mission critical readiness, what the mission may be". FreeBSD should be running everything from NASA servers, to traffic signalling systems, to medical equipment, to SCADA systems, to handheld devices, and everything in between. Just MHO.
Absolutely!
Speaking of embedded devices, a BSD Drone project would be pretty interesting. Like a Groff or Beastie drone. :)
I like that idea. Just need the hardware and a few interested people with some dev experience in that area. :)

IMHO FreeBSD is in the right path... a bunch of contributors are working hard to maintain FreeBSD as a perfect choice ;)

Back