What do you think about the foundation of a FUG ?

Hello.

who among us does not remember the LUGs that were born all around the world in the nineties ? These Linux User Groups started to disappear from the late '2000s. I never heard someone talking about the FUG (FreeBSD user groups),at least in italy. And I don't deny that I would like to found one. But before...let's talk a little bit about this idea. If it makes sense or not,in your opinion,today.

I had a look for one nearest to me and it basically stopped functioning after the Covid lockdown and hasn't restarted. It looks like anyone who was interested has moved to Facebook or meetup groups.

I would have a problem with the name "FUG". Imagine you put on your coat, your spouse asks if you are going out and you respond "Yes dear, I am going to a FUG meeting". There is a high chance of drama coming your way, don't you think?

Other than that, it sounds like a good idea.

BSD sounds like a nice name, except for the abbreviations of the first two letters. Then again, there's a BS (Bachelors of Science) degree.

BUG sounds better!

I am sure I've heard of BUGs on a number of Podcasts. BSDNow used to encourage people to message in letting them know when BUGs were happening and they would advertise. It didn't gain a lot of traction, but there was a few that wrote in and were mentioned.

In New York City, we have NYCBUG (for all BSDs). Thanks to the support of a local datacenter, NYCBUG also runs ftp servers for FreeBSD and OpenBSD (ftp4.freebsd.org and ftp.usa.openbsd.org)

I suppose you could, if looking to annoy people, create FreeBSD User Group, Like Yeah!!!
FUGLY for short.
(Thanks, I'll see myself out now.)

Now I know that there are some BSD group all around the world. I should look if there are some in Italy.

I'm askin to some old Linux "friends" here,where I live,to understand where the FLUG (FreeBSD Linux User Group) can be hosted. I / we can't spend money renting a room. Today's life is too expensive.

But it's not only about discussing. In my idea there is the chance to bring some hardwares from home and place them on the room,for testing and experimenting. Discussing only it's annoying after some time. To play with some hardware is important to learn and to tinker.

Back