what bsd compilation is best for desktop pc update in 2021 ?

I only use UFS on the weakest desktop machine, an old EeePC. All three others have ZFS. Integrated RAID is just one nice feature, a lot of others (checksumming, zvols, cheap/fast snapshots/clones and on top of that boot environments, ...) are still very useful on a single disk.
my mini home server had some hard times with only one power outage.
I don't think that's much different with UFS SU+J. Both filesystems make it pretty unlikely to have damage from a power outage, but you can be unlucky…

I only use UFS on the weakest desktop machine, an old EeePC. All three others have ZFS. Integrated RAID is just one nice feature, a lot of others (checksumming, zvols, cheap/fast snapshots/clones and on top of that boot environments, ...) are still very useful on a single disk
I also use ZFS on one machine with one SSD only. I disagree though about the checksumming: this has no big benefit on a single disk, because then you only know that there's an error, but you will be unable to fix it due to lack of redundancy.

So checksumming on a single disk does just offer the same functionality like SMART: you know there's an error, also if the error count goes high that it might be a good idea to replace your storage device and that's all about it.

So checksumming on a single disk does just offer the same functionality like SMART: you know there's an error, also if the error count goes high that it might be a good idea to replace your storage device and that's all about it.
Not really the same. ZFS will detect affected files, preventing undetected "bit rot" of your actual data (you can restore them from backups).

With RAID, fixing the error can be automatic, yes. But even with RAID, you need backups of relevant data anyways (imagine 2 or 3 disks failing, or just having a "stupid moment" at root's prompt…)

ZFS is very advanced and with a lot of featuresbut i think that it needs some specific specs i can't just install it to a potato pc because i had the idea to repurpose it to a mini homeserver , anyway its the best and it supports compression and that makes it ideal for FreeBSD based projects they using it to load the live cd (~3GB) to ram with a compressed zfs using mdconfig (swap type) , the other way is to use uzip but if you use maximum comprerssion the usb flash would be slow and on top of that you need to have write access for some directories anyway . I didn't wanted to follow this method (using compressed zfs) cause it has many limitations i use uzip with zstd compression and some directories i load them to ram so the usb flash media is fast and i have no limitation i could make a release with a ton of pre-installed software .
Not really the same. ZFS will detect affected files, preventing undetected "bit rot" of your actual data (you can restore them from backups).

With RAID, fixing the error can be automatic, yes. But even with RAID, you need backups of relevant data anyways (imagine 2 or 3 disks failing, or just having a "stupid moment" at root's prompt…)

I really don't get this discussion regarding ZFS. Since FreeBSD 11 I have been using ZFS on literally any system that runs FreeBSD. No matter whether it's a single-disk system or a storage pod with 48 drives. From laptops to large servers. ZFS is my goto without even thinking about it. I did not experience any notable disadvantages in any of these scenarios. It's rock solid, super simple to use yet provides a shit ton of features to discover for when you feel bored during a family dinner.

That being sad tho: I don't run any machine without a battery backup so I can't comment on power outage resilience.

The only problem with most bsd compilations are also the touchpad support , touchpad support can be a hell , i had a laptop that it could work only when i used iichid i usually compiling it from git . Touchpad configuration is a bit tricky i think , when i was new to FreeBSD i searched a lot before find something that was gonna help me.

I had a problem on my electric installation of my home it was the water boiler that caused many power outages , i called some electricians and fixed that somehow , i don't want to say something thats wrong but for me i'm happy with my ufs thank you.

Each filesystem has it's advantages. For my multi-boot development machine I prefer ufs, but for any kind of serious dedicated real-time live system, I'd go with zfs.

Each filesystem has it's advantages. For my multi-boot development machine I prefer ufs, but for any kind of serious dedicated real-time live system, I'd go with zfs.
You are right but i've seen it all , i'm still writting from a pc that endured a hell of power outages i was even recording something on obs and after i started my computer the video was there untouched lol.
My files,photos,videos,files are there i'm ok with the inferior ufs thank you .

You are right but i've seen it all , i'm still writting from a pc that endured a hell of power outages i was even recording something on obs and after i started my computer the video was there untouched lol.
My files,photos,videos,files are there i'm ok with the inferior ufs thank you .
I think ufs is a bit underrated. It's easier to learn and I'd recommend it for beginners or casual users, but it does lack some useful features which zfs readily provides and which I'd consider essential for a serious service machine. Arguably maybe not totally "essential," but definitely superior and extremely desirable.

I think ufs is a bit underrated. It's easier to learn and I'd recommend it for beginners or casual users, but it does lack some useful features which zfs readily provides and which I'd consider essential for a serious service machine. Arguably maybe not totally "essential," but definitely superior and extremely desirable.
Zfs has more advanced futures but anyway everything is good at its field ufs for the desktop and zfs for the servers.

Back