What about gaming on FreeBSD?

Definitely wasn't me. For what it's worth, I dislike (mostly for inability to edit typos) and usually ignore mailing lists.
The thing is that the only possibility to reach developers is through the mailing lists. The forum is for users, but if you want to have deep-going technical discussions the mailing lists are definitely the place to go.

The thing is that the only possibility to reach developers is through the mailing lists.

D16830 already has the i386-wine port maintainer as an author and the wine port maintainer as a reviewer. Could it possibly benefit from more eyes? There aren't that many developers interested in multilib.

D16830 already has the i386-wine port maintainer as an author and the wine port maintainer as a reviewer. Could it possibly benefit from more eyes? There aren't that many developers interested in multilib.
It's a longshot, I know, but it might draw some attention back to it. It also might not :) The bugzilla however generally only draws attention from the people specifically looking at X like wine.
In the end, even though only wine would benefit from it, it would be a change to the general ports system and thus might interest other people beyond only wine-interested ones. It also might draw critique/reviews to the bugzilla.

The bugzilla however generally only draws attention from the people specifically looking at X like wine.

Oh, it's not Bugzilla. I believe the FreeBSD bug tracker is actually supposed to have some formal escalation rules with maintainer-feedback/maintainer-timeout. There are zero expectations for Phabricator reviews. It's more like personal working space as I understand it.

In the end, even though only wine would benefit from it, it would be a change to the general ports system and thus might interest other people

Or it could attract more elaborate proposals that would take too much effort to implement and thus postponed indefinitely. I kind of suspect this might already be the case considering the most prominent multilib implementation is (quite obnoxious) Debian's multiarch.

I do like to browse the lists, that's a nicer format than the one I normally go to at the FreeBSD Archives. I don't like to sign up for the lists because I find them hard to deal with in the flat way posts appear in my inbox (not threaded). So I subscribe when I want to post something then unsubscribe when I'm done with the thread.

Edit: looking around more at that site I see it allows you to participate in a list similar to the way a forum works. You can even shut off getting emails to your inbox. Man I've been wanting to access the lists like that for ages, well at least since I've been using FreeBSD, a couple years now.

To be clear, we are not discussing the mailing lists here. You might want to look at a few preceding posts for context.

I know that gaming on FreeBSD is like gaming on Linux ~7 years ago, we have most opensource emulators (Reicast, Mednafen, Dolphin, RPCS3, mupen64-plus, DOSBox, DGen, Snes9x, FceuX, PPSSPP, Yabause, PCEmu, MAME, UAE, Hatari, Vice, GNUBoy, mGBA). It means that with those we can play all PSX/PSP/PS3, Genesis/Saturn/Dreamcast, NeoGeo, NES/SNES/N64/GameCube/Wii, Gameboy/GBC/GBA, DOS/Win9x, Amiga/C64 games. Can you guys suggest some exciting titles to play, not a relative to Android games because I think I've already played all the Android games on Apknite.

Just got done looking at my 2005 *nix archives on an old HD full of dust, circa 2007 :)
There, I found native linux installation binaries/scripts for retail games of: Doom3, Quake4, UT2004, ETQW and Prey.
Now, I'm thinking of creating debjail to see if those good'n old games would even install without the old libgc* and others.

dhewm3 port, linux-quake4 port

Runs acceptably under Wine. It's D3D-first game, the Linux port is likely to provide worse experience.

I'm not into gaming in FreeBSD, so I never looked@games port.
Some time, long ago, I did try linux-ut2004-demo port, in FreeBSD, to test performance of my GTX960/4GB-VRAM.
The game ran very well actually, so I was happy with 3D performance of the GTX960.
I don't see the game in ports anymore, I guess due to lack of maintainer.
But, I just installed linux-doom3-demo (the FreeBSD port) to test:) It perfroms and plays very well!
Thanks for the hints👍

Yeah, but I could try and run windows steam on FreeBSD via wine. I have just never tried it. I could try Linux steam using the Linux emulation in FreeBSD but I've never done that. Just need to figure it out.

Well, what things you are actually expecting to get from the Linux client (as opposed to running its Windows counterpart under Wine)? This is often repeated complaint, but I don't really understand the motivation.

No complaint and I didn't expect anything different. I have never tried either one so didn't know the challenges for either choice. My guess would be windows steam in wine is easier.

My guess would be windows steam in wine is easier.

Quite a bit in fact as you don't have to fight each game individually.

Ironically, I'm actually thinking about getting the Linux Steam client and Proton working. Proton is basically a Wine distribution integrated with the Linux Steam client, so it should be useful for tracing Windows games (with WINEDEBUG) without trace output from the Windows Steam client getting in the way. Intermixed client/game trace output is a real PITA.

Interesting. I would be happy to do some testing if you need a Guinea pig. Are you planning on using Linux emulation for the solution?

Are you planning on using Linux emulation for the solution?

At least the Valve's Wine fork can be compiled natively. I haven't looked into other parts of Proton yet. The Linux client obviously requires Linux emulation.

As you can see, currently I'm busy meta-complaining about the lack of complaints for zero attention given to the lack of multilib support in ports. Which is a prerequisite for both WoW64 Wine and Proton. I do not plan to work on anything until that issue is resolved.

Yes but how to fire up game with it.
mednafen xinvaders
Does the app run under it like this?
Usage: mednafen [OPTION]... FILE
Starting Mednafen 1.22.1
Build information:
Compiled with gcc 4.2.1 Compatible FreeBSD Clang 6.0.0 (tags/RELEASE_600/final 326565)
Compiled against zlib 1.2.11, running with zlib 1.2.11(flags=0x000000a9)
Compiled against SDL 2.0.9(hg-12373:8feb5da6f2fb), running with SDL 2.0.9(hg-12373:8feb5da6f2fb)
Running with libsndfile-1.0.28
Base directory: /root/.mednafen
Emulation modules: apple2 nes snes gb gba pce lynx md pcfx ngp psx ss ssfplay vb wswan sms gg snes_faust pce_fast demo cdplay
Opening lockfile...
Loading settings from "/root/.mednafen/mednafen.cfg"...
Loaded 7525 valid settings and 0 unknown settings.
No command-line arguments specified.

Back