Using sndio in place of pulseaudio

Similar thing happened with me last week while I was updating my father's Kubuntu system¹. The keyboard didn't work anymore, in any way, due to SystemD something not working.

It is amazing how, after several years, they manage to it still have such retard breaks.

Well, in Linux I personally didn't have any problems with pulseaudio.
But under FreeBSD it just doesn't work for me, while OSS does work out of the box. I have to build Firefox with pulseaudio (SNDIO not very good), but it doesn't give sound until I force remove pulseaudio. I don't see any need for it on FreeBSD.
Ok, right now with Firefox 71 the default port compilation doesn't work as it used to (pulseaudio=yes but without actual pulseaudio). On the other hand, now I have no complains over HOW WELL it works with pulseaudio port installed. It used to hang my system badly, now it just silently works -- and it does NOT work without pulseaudio port any more. Just to report, since I've posted so much about this problem earlier...

I'll see now how well it works with sndio for comparison sake.
EDIT: Tested that, and it works fine. So I'll stick to sndio for all the reasons mentioned in this thread -- excepting personal dislikes for the author of pulseaudio, which I don't have. After all, it's not him but them who employed him to write those programs. Actually, I'll have to thank him because all that resulted in my switching over to FreeBSD, which I never regretted since.

Last edited:
Back