Trying to run KDE 6 Plasma with Wayland....

...Busy with setting up laptop for my 6 yo, I got KDE6 with Wayland running...

that's is the goal to achieve. If he has been able,in some way kde5 and kde6 are living together in the same host or it is a false problem.

that's is the goal to achieve. If he has been able,in some way kde5 and kde6 are living together in the same host or it is a false problem.
6 with Wayland, yes.

5 with 6, that's a very separate, independent issue. I guess you can call it 'false problem'. And the thread that you pointed to - there's no mention of "5 with 6".

Point is that when I make the installation of some packages related to plasma6,some plasma5 packages are installed too. Its not me who wants mix things. Not sure if also him has some plasma or kde5 packages installed. Anyway now I'm trying to remove every package tied to kde 5. Let's see what happens.

plasma5-kwin and plasma6-kwin can't coexist :

Istantanea_2024-07-20_16-10-37.png

Point is that when I make the installation of some packages related to plasma6,some plasma5 packages are installed too. Its not me who wants mix things. Not sure if also him has some plasma or kde5 packages installed. Anyway now I'm trying to remove every package tied to kde 5. Let's see what happens.
Yeah, there are some 6 packages where the port's Makefiles incorrectly specify QT5 dependencies. And that does need to be cleaned up - on FreeBSD side. And it looks like the FreeBSD-KDE team is working through that issue, cleaning things up.

According with this post :

and with this error message :

Code:
"kwin_wayland_drm: No suitable DRM devices have been found"

I could try to downgrade drm-515-kmod with drm-510-kmod (or better,for me : nvidia-drm-510-kmod)

Instead,according with jan suggestion :

nvidia-drm already loads nvidia-modeset. Moreover, loading nvidia-modeset before nvidia-drm may not work.

According to https://www.freshports.org/graphics/nvidia-drm-61-kmod#message
you also need "sysctl hw.nvidiadrm.modeset=1"

but I did what jan suggested,so what remains me to try is to downgrade drm-515-kmod

This suggestion is very interesting :

> [ -d $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR ] || mkdir -m 700 -p $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR

Manually setting and creating XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is obsolete on FreeBSD >= 14 via pam_xdg(8).

Besides, Plasma uses ConsoleKit2 which overrides XDG_RUNTIME_DIR and (if the value is same) destroys existing contents. GUI apps started before Plasma with different XDG_RUNTIME_DIR wouldn't be accessible from within Plasma and may cause other issues.

> exec dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session startplasma-

Plasma requires ConsoleKit2 session, so prepend ck-launch-session like :

https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/tree/x11/plasma5-plasma-workspace/files/startplasma-wayland.sh

Interesting the last suggestion of Jan :

Do you have /dev/dri/card0 ? If not debug drm-kmod or nvidia-drm-kmod.

Yes,I have /dev/dri/card0...

After that check if Wayfire works before going on Plasma journey. DEs like Plasma are a pinnacle of complexity, so even experienced users can easily drown in pilot errors.

wayfire -c /home/marietto/.config/wayfire/wayfire.ini :

Istantanea_2024-07-20_17-36-12.png

Plasma/Wayland 6.1.1 works fine for me but I've only tested under Sway. If standalone Plasma/Wayland fails it's likely due to ConsoleKit2 again.

work in progress...

I'm not able to save the messages I get to a file. This command does not save anything (I think because the script does not end with a fatal error) :

Code:
./startplasma-wayland 2> error

wayland and wayfire starts,my secondary monitor is turned on,but then another error freezes everything. I would like to save the messages in a text file and send it here to get further help from you. How can I do it ? Is there a log file where the messages on the screen are saved by default ?

A KDE 6 developer says :

You should not install any plasma5 components that are not pulled in by plasma6 -- they conflict, as they are both the KDE Desktop... and therefore share files and services :) -- so stick to one version.

I have not yet got the plasma6-wayland session working on my end though -- I can start the plasma-desktop inside a running wayland compositor, but I cannot bring up kwin as compositor.

It's essentially same as what I've been saying all along - did you notice? 😩

And I'm not a dev.

I don't want to disrespect you but I'm asking to KDE developers because a lot of us aren't developers. I take it for granted that developers knows more than the system administrators what could be missing or wrong since they developed the tool.

… they are developed the tool.

True, and the conflict is by design – the developers' design. The conflict is intentional, not a bug.

When your fellow users draw attention to the conflict, it's partly an effort to avoid a waste of your time when you go down a metaphorical rabbit hole.

There is conflict between those two. Just check pkg-plist of those two side-by-side.
If there are no conflicts, the output by
diff -u -p -N /usr/ports/x11-wm/plasma5-kwin/pkg-plist /usr/ports/x11-wm/plasma6-kwin/pkg-plist
should not have lines started with single space. Single space of unified diffs on top of lines means it's common with 2 files compared.
There are many common lines such as:
@@ -1,49 +1,275 @@ bin/kwin_x11
bin/kwin_wayland
bin/kwin_wayland_wrapper
bin/kwin_x11
-include/kwin_export.h
-include/kwinanimationeffect.h
The "-" at the top of lines means it appears on the first file but not on the second.

Edit: Quote functionality does not do its work as intended. :(
there should be single space before bin/kwin_wayland, bin/kwin_wayland_wrapper and bin/kwin_x11 in the quoted example above.

True, and the conflict is by design – the developers' design. The conflict is intentional, not a bug.

When your fellow users draw attention to the conflict, it's partly an effort to avoid a waste of your time when you go down a metaphorical rabbit hole.

Sorry,I didn't catch the point.

A new message from the KDE developer :

kde5 and kde6 conflict, as they install the same desktop in different versions...so, don't install plasma5 if you want to use plasma6 -- the only port that might be needed of plasma5-plasma-integration. If you want to try to use plasma6 and try to get wayland up, make sure to remove plasma5* and just install the plasma6-plasma package.

I really recommend to use this tree instead of main:
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports-kde/tree/kde-it_goes_to_6

You can then create a shell-script ala

###
#!/bin/sh
export QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1
# export QT_WAYLAND_SHELL_INTEGRATION=xdg-shell
export WAYLAND_DEBUG=1
# export XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland

ck-launch-session dbus-run-session truss /usr/local/bin/startplasma-wayland >& /memory/startplasma.log
####

to try to run plasma... you likely get an output like

###
[...]
qt.core.library: "/usr/local/lib/qt6/plugins/platforms/libqwayland-generic.so" loaded library
Failed to create wl_display (No such file or directory)
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "wayland" in "" even though it was found.
qt.core.library: "/usr/local/lib/qt6/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so" loaded library
qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display :0
qt.qpa.plugin: From 6.5.0, xcb-cursor0 or libxcb-cursor0 is needed to load the Qt xcb platform plugin.
[...]
###

before it fails :/

my question :

I've downloaded the kde 6 ports tree. What should I do now ? How can I install kde 6 starting from the ports tree ?

Back