Trying to run KDE 6 Plasma with Wayland....

I've downloaded the kde 6 ports tree. What should I do now ? How can I install kde 6 starting from the ports tree ?
Study the Porter's Handbook, and /usr/ports/Mk/kde.mk to see how it fits together. And that is pretty time-consuming, but an absolute pre-requisite to understanding how to do things right so that they work right. I spent a LOT of time with it, and I still don't have it completely down.

He gave to me some further suggestions,such as to get the sources from here :

and starting to compile from x11/kde6

This is what I did,but at some point I've got this bug :

Istantanea_2024-07-22_14-16-04.png

at this point he said "Please use poudriere. I will not look into other compilation failures"

I'm not sure if poudriere will fix that bug (that I saw everytime I have restarted the compilation using an earlier version of the vm). I suspect that learning poudriere can't help me and it is a wasting of time.

I fixed the previous compilation error. Now I would like to fix the error that you see below :

Istantanea_2024-07-22_19-16-41.png

developer told me to add "/memory - tmpfs" necessary to run succesfully the script below :

Code:
# nano kde6 :

#!/bin/sh
export QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1
# export QT_WAYLAND_SHELL_INTEGRATION=xdg-shell
export WAYLAND_DEBUG=1
# export XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland

ck-launch-session dbus-run-session truss /usr/local/bin/startplasma-wayland >& /memory/startplasma.log

and I did it,but I still get the error....

Istantanea_2024-07-22_19-16-07.png

graphics/gwenview-devel v. 24.01.90 compiled just fine for me. I have a VirtualBox VM running that under FreeBSD 14.1-RELEASE-p2. This is an Xorg session, but this thread does contain hints for starting a Wayland session, which I have yet to try.
1721690913890.png

Well, my VM was created from scratch, and I compiled my way into a KDE6 desktop. But when compiling the ports, you gotta first compile stuff in order:
  1. devel/qt6
  2. x11/kf6-frameworks
  3. x11/plasma6-plasma
  4. x11/kde6 metaport.
Dependencies are not very well-specified in the Ports system on the FreeBSD side of things. Trying to figure out the dependencies going backwards from x11/kde6 is asking for trouble. Figuring out how to correctly specify dependencies within the ports' Makefiles is part of what makes porting stuff to FreeBSD a complex and time-consuming task that absolutely requires familiarity with the Porter's Handbook.

I did manage to compile Dolphin from KDE's upstream sources by swapping in a tarball from 24.05.2 version of KDE apps. But pkg info dolphin-devel still refers to it as 24.01.90... which means there's still a bit of work with FreeBSD's ports system still left to do:
1721691458659.png

Now I see where the 5 vs 6 confusion comes in. I don't have 5 installed at all. But when I log out of the Xorg session (which had 6 running), I see this:
1721692944189.png

My thinking goes, this is probably in the source code for 6. But it is not a showstopper. And I don't want to hunt this down myself - there's a lot on my plate IRL, so to speak. A quick, mindless screenie that shows useful info is all I really have time for.

Now I see where the 5 vs 6 confusion comes in. I don't have 5 installed at all. But when I log out of the Xorg session (which had 6 running), I see this:
View attachment 19653
My thinking goes, this is probably in the source code for 6. But it is not a showstopper. And I don't want to hunt this down myself - there's a lot on my plate IRL, so to speak. A quick, mindless screenie that shows useful info is all I really have time for.

maybe it should be there and it's not a problem. And the problems are elsewhere. Only a dev knows. Anyway,my will is to go to ask with the main KDE developers because I see that talking with the FreeBSD KDE devs is not bringing me anywhere.

Using the parameters below :

Code:
#!/bin/sh

#export QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1
#export WAYLAND_DEBUG=1

export XDG_CONFIG_HOME="$HOME/.config"
export XDG_CACHE_HOME="$HOME/.cache"
export XDG_DATA_HOME="$HOME/.local/share"
export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/var/run/user/"$(id -u)"
export QT_WAYLAND_SHELL_INTEGRATION=xdg-shell
export XDG_SESSION_TYPE=xdg-shell
export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct
export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=minimal
export WLR_NO_HARDWARE_CURSORS=1
export LIBSEAT_BACKEND=consolekit2

ck-launch-session dbus-run-session startplasma-wayland 2> startplasma.log

I get a different and encouraging output :

Code:
org.kde.startup: not a reply org.freedesktop.locale1 QDBusMessage(type=Error, service="", error name="org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown", error message="The name org.freedesktop.locale1 was not provided by any .service files", signature="s", contents=("The name org.freedesktop.locale1 was not provided by any .service files") )
dbus-daemon[1023]: [session uid=1001 pid=1023] Activating service name='org.kde.KSplash' requested by ':1.0' (uid=1001 pid=1024 comm="")

dbus-daemon[1023]: [session uid=1001 pid=1023] Successfully activated service 'org.kde.KSplash'
Initializing  "/usr/local/lib/qt6/plugins/plasma/kcms/systemsettings/kcm_fonts.so"

dbus-daemon[1023]: [session uid=1001 pid=1023] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop' requested by ':1.5' (uid=1001 pid=1029 comm="")

kf.kirigami.platform: Failed to find a Kirigami platform plugin for style ""

dbus-daemon[1023]: [session uid=1001 pid=1023] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.portal.Documents' requested by ':1.6' (uid=1001 pid=1037 comm="")

dbus-daemon[1023]: [session uid=1001 pid=1023] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.impl.portal.PermissionStore' requested by ':1.7' (uid=1001 pid=1039 comm="")

dbus-daemon[1023]: [session uid=1001 pid=1023] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.impl.portal.PermissionStore'

dbus-daemon[1023]: [session uid=1001 pid=1023] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.portal.Documents'

fuse: unknown option(s): `-o auto_unmount'
error: fuse init failed: Can't create fuse session

(/usr/local/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:1037): xdg-desktop-portal-WARNING **: 15:03:41.378: Failed to load RealtimeKit property: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.RealtimeKit1 was not provided by any .service files

(/usr/local/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:1037): xdg-desktop-portal-WARNING **: 15:03:41.378: Failed to load RealtimeKit property: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.RealtimeKit1 was not provided by any .service files

(/usr/local/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:1037): xdg-desktop-portal-WARNING **: 15:03:41.379: Failed to load RealtimeKit property: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.RealtimeKit1 was not provided by any .service files

dbus-daemon[1023]: [session uid=1001 pid=1023] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.impl.portal.desktop.kde' requested by ':1.6' (uid=1001 pid=1037 comm="")

No backend specified, automatically choosing drm

dbus-daemon[1023]: [session uid=1001 pid=1023] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.impl.portal.desktop.kde'

dbus-daemon[1023]: [session uid=1001 pid=1023] Activating service name='org.gtk.vfs.Daemon' requested by ':1.6' (uid=1001 pid=1037 comm="")

dbus-daemon[1023]: [session uid=1001 pid=1023] Successfully activated service 'org.gtk.vfs.Daemon'

dbus-daemon[1023]: [session uid=1001 pid=1023] Activating service name='org.gtk.vfs.UDisks2VolumeMonitor' requested by ':1.6' (uid=1001 pid=1037 comm="")

dbus-daemon[1023]: [session uid=1001 pid=1023] Successfully activated service 'org.gtk.vfs.UDisks2VolumeMonitor'

dbus-daemon[1023]: [session uid=1001 pid=1023] Activating service name='org.gtk.vfs.MTPVolumeMonitor' requested by ':1.6' (uid=1001 pid=1037 comm="")

dbus-daemon[1023]: [session uid=1001 pid=1023] Successfully activated service 'org.gtk.vfs.MTPVolumeMonitor'

dbus-daemon[1023]: [session uid=1001 pid=1023] Activating service name='org.gtk.vfs.GPhoto2VolumeMonitor' requested by ':1.6' (uid=1001 pid=1037 comm="")

dbus-daemon[1023]: [session uid=1001 pid=1023] Successfully activated service 'org.gtk.vfs.GPhoto2VolumeMonitor'

(/usr/local/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:1037): xdg-desktop-portal-WARNING **: 15:03:41.496: Failed connect to PipeWire: Couldn't connect to PipeWire

(/usr/local/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:1037): xdg-desktop-portal-WARNING **: 15:03:41.501: Choosing kwallet.portal for org.freedesktop.impl.portal.Secret via the deprecated UseIn key

(/usr/local/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:1037): xdg-desktop-portal-WARNING **: 15:03:41.501: The preferred method to match portal implementations to desktop environments is to use the portals.conf(5) configuration file

dbus-daemon[1023]: [session uid=1001 pid=1023] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop'

Unable to determine system time zone: please check your system configuration.
kwin_screencast: Failed to connect PipeWire context

org.kde.startup: "kdeinit5_shutdown" QList() exited with code 255
Initializing  "/usr/local/lib/qt6/plugins/plasma/kcms/systemsettings/kcm_style.so"
startplasma-wayland: Shutting down...
startplasmacompositor: Shutting down...
startplasmacompositor: Done.

A connection to the bus can't be made

/usr/local/bin/xrdb: Connection refused
/usr/local/bin/xrdb: Can't open display ':0'
/usr/local/bin/xsetroot:  unable to open display ':0'

Initializing  "/usr/local/lib/qt6/plugins/plasma/kcms/systemsettings/kcm_mouse.so"
kcm_mouse: Not able to select appropriate backend.

Errors to be worried :

1) kf.kirigami.platform: Failed to find a Kirigami platform plugin for style ""

2) fuse: unknown option(s): `-o auto_unmount'
error: fuse init failed: Can't create fuse session

3) A connection to the bus can't be made
/usr/local/bin/xrdb: Connection refused
/usr/local/bin/xrdb: Can't open display ':0'
/usr/local/bin/xsetroot: unable to open display ':0'

These are totally different errors than usual and I suspect that they can be fixed using the proper parameters.

maybe it should be there and it's not a problem. And the problems are elsewhere. Only a dev knows. Anyway,my will is to go to ask with the main KDE developers because I see that talking with the FreeBSD KDE devs is not bringing me anywhere.
Maybe becoming familiar with the Porter's Handbook will help?

It will teach you how to read the FreeBSD Ports system Makefiles and specify dependencies correctly. 5 and 6 have different dependencies. And no, going upstream won't help you with FreeBSD-related stuff. As you've seen from my experience earlier, you can swap in a newer tarball from upstream, but you still would need to know how to work with FreeBSD ports system so that it installs and reports things correctly.

Afaik all under 3) are X11.

Is DBus actually running?

yes. On /etc/rc.conf I have added : dbus_enable="YES"

Keeping intact all those parameters and changing only this line :

ck-launch-session dbus-run-session startplasma-wayland

with this :

ck-launch-session dbus-run-session wayfire

and wayland + wayfire start like a charme. So,wayland is ready to go. The problems that we see are related to X11 and / or KDE6. Maybe this error is fatal :

kwin_screencast: Failed to connect PipeWire context.

have you got the plasma6-xdg-desktop-portal-kde-6 installed

Code:
plasma6-xdg-desktop-portal-kde-6.1.2 Backend implementation for xdg-desktop-portal that is using Qt/KDE

drm_info shows the correct GPU. Another proof that wayland is working ok,but KDE 6 doesn't. Anyway I feel to be close.

shouldnt the QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME be set to qt6ct and not qt5ct

Code:
qt6ct-0.9                      Qt 6 configuration tool

Code:
sudo pkg install qt6ct

i have changed qt5ct to qt6ct below and commented out the other options

also change the last line to use exec and dbus-launch --exit-with-session
see if that helps

Code:
#!/bin/sh

#export WAYLAND_DEBUG=1

export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt6ct

#export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/var/run/user/"$(id -u)"
#export QT_WAYLAND_SHELL_INTEGRATION=xdg-shell
#export XDG_SESSION_TYPE=xdg-shell
#export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct
#export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=minimal
#export WLR_NO_HARDWARE_CURSORS=1
#export LIBSEAT_BACKEND=consolekit2

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session startplasma-wayland 2> startplasma.log

Hello everyone, I just got into the FreeBSD community. Please let me know if I am not having a proper etiquette.

I am also testing out a "kde6-devel" + Wayland install, and I've been following this thread. I have a different hardware environment (AMD Ryzen 7 5700U with Integrated "Lucienne" graphics), so I would imagine that the experience would be easier, yet I run into similar errors like ziomario. I have installed the package " drm-kmod" and set in "/etc/rc.conf" the line kld_list="amdgpu"

Packages which I've installed (all from binaries) are:
  1. xorg
  2. wayland
  3. seatd - Service is enabled
  4. sddm - Wayland session is visible but doesn't start. X11 is visible and KDE6 starts.
  5. dbus - Service is enabled

I'd hate to add more complications to this thread, but attached to my message is the script that tries to run KDE6 on Wayland and the STDERRs I get when running the same bash script that sets XDG parameters listed in #89

Things that caught my eye and I haven't been able to solve
  • The name org.freedesktop.locale1 was not provided by any .service files - Is this related to my locale settings? My locale settings are set to C.UTF-8
  • I get the same error as ziomario kf.kirigami.platform: Failed to find a Kirigami platform plugin for style ""
  • The amdgpu errors that loop for a while are frustrating. I have no clue what os_same_file_description couldn't determine if two DRM fds reference the same file description. is referring to. Do I need to select a more specific graphics driver? When I installed "drm-kmod" from binaries
    • Also, the system timezone should be set. The file /etc/localtime is exactly the same as my local time in /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Argentina/Ushuaia
  • QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: open: No such file or directory - Running the same script with QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1 Points to a file which doesnt exist
    • qt.core.plugin.factoryloader: checking directory path "/usr/local/lib/qt6/plugins/accessiblebridge" ...
      qt.core.plugin.factoryloader: checking directory path "/usr/local/bin/accessiblebridge" ...
      QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: open: No such file or directory
      - I wonder where this file is provided from, and how critical is it to KDE6
  • Initializing "/usr/local/lib/qt6/plugins/plasma/kcms/systemsettings/kcm_style.so" org.kde.startup: "kdeinit5_shutdown" QList() exited with code 255 - Also displayed on message #85
If anyone needs the same output of my script with QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1 I can attach it, its over 9000 lines long though

Attachments

• kde6-wayland-stderr.txt
    6 KB · Views: 14
shouldnt the QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME be set to qt6ct and not qt5ct

Code:
qt6ct-0.9                      Qt 6 configuration tool

Code:
sudo pkg install qt6ct

i have changed qt5ct to qt6ct below and commented out the other options

also change the last line to use exec and dbus-launch --exit-with-session
see if that helps

Code:
#!/bin/sh

#export WAYLAND_DEBUG=1

export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt6ct

#export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/var/run/user/"$(id -u)"
#export QT_WAYLAND_SHELL_INTEGRATION=xdg-shell
#export XDG_SESSION_TYPE=xdg-shell
#export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct
#export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=minimal
#export WLR_NO_HARDWARE_CURSORS=1
#export LIBSEAT_BACKEND=consolekit2

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session startplasma-wayland 2> startplasma.log
If that makes a difference, it would be valuable for FreeBSD-KDE team to know! This is the kind of stuff that they do watch out for.

Back