Things you find creepy/scary

Hmmnje, not really. It's simply called extortion. There is no such thing as a honored society on the Internet.
Y'know, I can debate with that. Yeah, Internet can seem like a free-for-all madhouse at times, with ad harassment, DDOS, taking endpoints hostage, and the like. That's where having capable metal and the brains to deal with shit are the two things that really matter. Basically, if you can act like a digital whale (Yeah, there's several steps in making a logical connection there), your turf will be honored by others.

I can expand and explain the logical connections I made here, if need be. But yeah, this is what I do find creepy and scary about Internet. Not even the capable metal and brains, but the idea of being forced to deal with unpleasant scenarios because of somebody's whims.

Y'know, I can debate with that.
Yeah, this is getting funny. Especially considering the place we are here.
Now there are folks around, hacking their mac, having a million "followers" and thinking themselves big. Probably that works out, on the bank account anyway, but i assume they don't even realize that they are the perfect serfs. It looks actually quite boring to me, similar as the so-called honored society seemed to me quite boring compared to a real secret order (of the one kind or the other) Money is not everything...

I can expand and explain the logical connections
You're welcome. If You think the place is appropriate.

Yeah, this is getting funny. Especially considering the place we are here.
Now there are folks around, hacking their mac, having a million "followers" and thinking themselves big. Probably that works out, on the bank account anyway, but i assume they don't even realize that they are the perfect serfs. It looks actually quite boring to me, similar as the so-called honored society seemed to me quite boring compared to a real secret order (of the one kind or the other) Money is not everything...

You're welcome. If You think the place is appropriate.
When I use the term 'digital whale', I'm referring to someone who has the capable metal, has the brains to (repel harassment AND cause serious damage wherever they go). To assert themselves, they make a splashy hacking (like a whale slapping its tail on water)... And then they just go away for a bit. Like real whales.

A good reference:

More recently, 'Whale' was associated with the world of cryptocurrency: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/23/what-hodl-whale-and-other-cryptocurrency-slang-terms-mean.html

When I use the term 'digital whale', I'm referring to someone who has the capable metal, has the brains to (repel harassment AND cause serious damage wherever they go). To assert themselves, they make a splashy hacking (like a whale slapping its tail on water)... And then they just go away for a bit. Like real whales.

A good reference:
Well, I got that one. When I read that somebody wanted to create an exclusive club for the most wealthy digital whales, I think I had ernough of it. Still wondering how A) one would get rich by buying gaming gadgets, and B) how one would show off on the Internet. But maybe I'm just too old for that - in my generation, girls would simply hate gamers and gamblers, and rather go for the violent street gang leader...

Well, I got that one. When I read that somebody wanted to create an exclusive club for the most wealthy digital whales, I think I had ernough of it. Still wondering how A) one would get rich by buying gaming gadgets, and B) how one would show off on the Internet. But maybe I'm just too old for that - in my generation, girls would simply hate gamers and gamblers, and rather go for the violent street gang leader...
A. I don't think one gets rich by buying gaming gadgets - The money AND the gadgets have to come from SOMEWHERE. And where - the whales won't disclose that info, it's classified, and closing the loopholes is the labor of Sisyphus.

B. Showing off on the Internet - that means defeating encryption, pulling off social engineering, taking advantage of holes in system design - and pulling that off against well-known bastions like IBM, Facebook, John Hopkins, MIT, and the like.

Gamers/gamblers hide behind screens, so in-person interaction doesn't matter to them that much. And it's just as well, considering the lack of personal hygiene. Going the other way - the term 'violent street gang leader' can be reframed as 'Someone who's strong enough to overpower others, and does have others' admiration'... not someone who'd hole up for hours next to a computer.

BTW, I pull my ideas from Ghost In The Shell here...

BTW, I pull my ideas from Ghost In The Shell here...
Oh my gods, what a mess... That one, AFAIK, is a japanese manga, that is more or less based on cyberpunk. So, we're talking fairytale (or a modern version of). There is a funny stance on the wikipedia for 'cyberpunk', "History and Origins" section, Ballard vs. Campbell, "more of the sombre half-worlds one glimpses in the paintings of schizophrenics". He doesn't know what he's talking about, because when you start to understand e.g. Aldous Huxley (who got the clue quite a bit earlier), you will figure that the schizophrenic is simply eaten up by these very archetypes Ballard wants to demise. So it's all a closed loop.
Hacking a mind was always possible and needs no wetware (just another Berkeley fancy: Patty Hearst).

A. I don't think one gets rich by buying gaming gadgets - The money AND the gadgets have to come from SOMEWHERE. And where - the whales won't disclose that info, it's classified, and closing the loopholes is the labor of Sisyphus.
Okay, then we stay with what we know works.

the term 'violent street gang leader' can be reframed as 'Someone who's strong enough to overpower others, and does have others' admiration'...
Yes exactly, that happens to work for mammals. Now how long do mammals exist, and how long does the Internet exist?

Back