Things you find creepy/scary

Scary to me is cars with computers the owner can't control.
They will rat you out and your data will be used against you in a court of law.
No Thanks.
Sincerely 2000 RAV4 owner.
I can fix every bit of it and no black boxes.
Is it any wonder I'm not a fan of Tesla Motors? Nikola Tesla, OTOH, made FreeBSD possible, thanks to his research into electricity...

Just now read what the hubbub about rhinophytonecrophilia was about...

There was a vase with some dried flowers at a dinner table in a Dallas restaurant.

Stallman took a whiff of that table decoration.

Another guest called that behavior "rhinophytonecrophilia" - probably in a vain attempt to sound educated to the rest of the crowd.

Yet another guest (who actually knows what the word means) connected the dots just flat-out wrong. And taking the straight-up meaning (nasal sex with plants), that third guest decided it's disgusting.

That disgust at the perceived straight-up meaning (instead of actually figuring out what happened) was communicated to the rest of the crowd (except Stallman himself).

The whole thing snowballed out of control, and Stallman is taking the brunt of that.

Yeah, another creepy/scary thing for me: how even an innocent act can get twisted into something dark and unpalatable. Can't even sniff flowers at a table without that simple act turning into something that makes ppl uncomfortable with you!

Disappointed in humanity yet?

Will resemble one of us in its finest forms. Does that scare you too?

People who blindly follows "authorities" and "laws" (legal positivism).
Perhaps, we don't have enough opportunity to express our innocence before it's too late.

History wise, "the government" killed more of it's own people then people from countries ruled by "enemy governments".
I wonder what today would like like if any variety of history were different? Would today be better or worse? I like to thank those in the past for making the many mistakes I would prefer not to make myself.

I don't fear people like Hitler, Stalin, Pinochet, Mobutu Sese Seko, Franco, Mussolini, Fidel Castro, Che Guevara, Papa Doc And Babe Doc, Mao Zedong, Kim Jong-un..... I fear the millions of people who blindly follows them in the name of common good, in the name of social justice, in the name of stability, to avoid climate change...... Without the later, the first ones are nobody!
Why don't more people say no? Perhaps this is something that should be encouraged and supported to prevent these kinds of disasters.

You realize that this basically amounts to being a sommelier? wine is made from harvested grapes, which means the grapes are dead? What about tea? if tea leaves are dried, the tea plant is dead, it no longer grows, it's not a living plant? And tea leaves smell pretty nice when dried?

Smell plays a vital role in the food industry. Since times immemorial, people have been eating dead plants, processing them, and enjoying the smell.

'Nasal sex' is nothing more than sniffing, while 'dead plants' can be dried tea leaves, tobacco, hops...

:rolleyes: Connect the dots to the wider world out there, people!
ohh yeah, I will start smelling dead animals and lick the space between my toes
is culture..you know

ohh yeah, I will start smelling dead animals and lick the space between my toes
is culture..you know
Animals don't photosynthesize, cuz they're not plants. Just pay attention to what was actually said, as opposed to uninformed reactions.

the phyto part in rhino-phyto-necro-philia refers to plants, not animals.

Can't believe your lack of attention and education caused you to not only miss out on that, but not even bother to figure out what the term even means. :rolleyes: 😩

There was a vase with some dried flowers at a dinner table in a Dallas restaurant.

Stallman took a whiff of that table decoration.

Another guest called that behavior "rhinophytonecrophilia" - probably in a vain attempt to sound educated to the rest of the crowd.

Yet another guest (who actually knows what the word means) connected the dots just flat-out wrong. And taking the straight-up meaning (nasal sex with plants), that third guest decided it's disgusting.

That disgust at the perceived straight-up meaning (instead of actually figuring out what happened) was communicated to the rest of the crowd (except Stallman himself).

The whole thing snowballed out of control, and Stallman is taking the brunt of that.
I think Stallman and his gang are pretty cool. We're obviously contributing to something bigger here than just some simple flowerly appreciation.

I do not find scary the fact that we are going to die one day. There's no reason to fear death. But what's creepy and scary at the same time is something worse than day: One day I might be an old man with dementia unable to do anything, or to remember anything, or to function at the most minimal level. It's literally being dead but alive, like "One" by Metallica.

Spiders! Can't stand the creepy critters. Even the small ones. I know I have nothing to fear, especially from spiders that are common in the Netherlands, but they just creep me out. Snakes, other reptiles, mice, rats, bugs, all don't bother me. But spiders... :eek:

Bugs, generally, I'm not keen on, although I can be fascinated by things like iridescence of parts of an ugly bug when watched in close-up on TV.

Daddy long-legs: I can cope with, although I just saw a close-up on Wikipedia and now, I half-regret coping with them.

Many spiders terrify me, in some situations I'm almost paralysed by fear. I know that therapy might end the fear, but I think it's wrong to cut out fear that's primeval. It's a healthy fear.

I once saw a large spider running across my bed, from a distance, and screamed so loud that the spider stopped. I like to think that I scared it.

my cat tries to watch me use the toilet which is pretty uncomfortable lol.

It's a social thing. My cats typically wait for me to come home, after work, before they use the litter tray.

I'm not a fan of swimming in the open ocean (sharks)!

Jaws?

1975, aged ten. It's probably fair to say that Westcliff-on-Sea was a low-risk area for shark attack, and I knew it, but still, I couldn't swim there for a while.

Spiders are vile creatures, disgusting to look at. …

All you arachnophobia people: just imagine how much panic the spider must have of you. You are better served with fear of Moskitos, they kill more people than you think. And that is where spiders come in again.

You cannot argue with irrational feelings.

As I said:
Place window screens at your windows.
They not only keep nearly allmoskitos and flies (carrying deseases) outside,
but also spiders.
Best couple of bucks you can invest in your flat/house.

Jaws?

1975, aged ten. It's probably fair to say that Westcliff-on-Sea was a low-risk area for shark attack, and I knew it, but still, I couldn't swim there for a while.
I actually tried to find the Jaws beach on Maui back in 2007, last time I went there...

What does kind of scare me is undertow in the ocean. I once was on Kauai, went boogie boarding on a fairly remote beach. Got caught by a current, started drifting away. It took a LOT of my energy to get back to the beach. No, I was not pulled underwater (I was on a boogie board, and had fins on my feet), but I didn't want to float far away to a bad spot, either. That kind of drove home the message for me to check water safety signage before going in anywhere.

hippopotamus are dangerous too. But not alot of them enter my room.
Fear is nothing ludicrous.
Nobody fears coconuts. Everybody fears sharks.
Fact:
Coconuts kill more people than sharks.
You cannot reason with fear.
All you can do with naming facts is to convince someone to start working on his or her fears.
This must not be confused with the process of fighting the fear itself.

Okay, I stand corrected - wasn't actually the point here I was trying to make, but if the bean counting advocates are on guard I have to correct my sentence:
Coconuts kill more people than sharks.
Coconuts also kill people like sharks.
... or I revise my post and chose a complete other example....
*headbangingondeskemotiocon*

After all we were not really talking about fruit but arachnophobia.

Back