Things you find creepy/scary

What things do you find creepy or scary? I'm particularly thinking of things that other people are okay with.
One thing for me is when people refer to their pets as "fur babies" or worse still "fur children".
For some reason the moment anyone says this it immediately brings to my mind this scene from Alien:Resurrection:
Screenshot_20230317_144656_YouTube.jpg

I can imagine Ripley referring to this as her "fur baby".

There are disks of evil around. All of them come up with some kind of symbol with four colors. When you insert them into your new shiny computer some kind of game like a mystery starts. At the first glance everything looks tidy and functional. You can click here and there, select items from drop down menus and enter text to answer specific questions. You fail to grasp the quest of that mystery. As in a maze you think more and more often "havn't I seen that screen already?" If you not have lost your mind already you might find the exit somewhere close to the configurations how to present the lunar phases, the level of ice in the Hudson bay and the highscore of bullshit bingo the marvelous software counts during meetings. But this is not the end of the horror. You will see, that your super computer has turned to a useless brick of metal. That is scary.

Scary? Compare with prices in Europe and think again.
Yep. Just spent 100,-€ on a fill-up and the thing wasn't even empty, 200km remaining. And no, that's a family car, not a truck, not a pickup, not a lorry.
And it is fsck-inf DIESEL.

As for scary things, once you have kids you have plenty of things to be scared about. Like, that drunk idiot racing trough the residential area.

SirDice Ifind spiders *extremely* disgusting, not sure about scary though. I hate all bugs tbh.
A couple years ago I lived in a first floor flat that acquired ants. But these weren't normal ants they were the most persistent f***ers I've ever known. I removed every last crumb of food from the kitchen but still they kept coming like I was laying on a banquet for them. I got them this powder poison and had to put it everywhere. It's dangerous for cats though so naturally the cat decided to try and sit in it all the time so I was shooing her away constantly. I remember giving the cat some tuna and the moment i put it on the floor it was swarming with ants. The poor cat looked at the ants, then looked up at me and made this sad mournful noise like "browoo!" Then the ants started climbing up the wall of the house. It took two weeks to kill them all.
The upshot of it is, I no longer sympathise with vermin. I'm a vegan and used to have Buddhist-like tendencies, but now I kill all vermin on sight. It's them or me.
piercedwater my cat tries to watch me use the toilet which is pretty uncomfortable lol. I once had a friend who said she couldn't poop in front of her pet lizard cos the eyes were so accusing.
6502 I think you sent me a private message about a million years ago and I never responded...? it was really inconsiderate of me I apologise. My Mother had just died and I basically couldn't juggle speaking to everyone and then as the time went on never replied cos I felt increasingly awkward about it! Thanks for your message and sorry again.
cracauer@ I read that treatment resistant fungi are becoming a threat too.
Re: gas I don't have a car but Putin's little "project" has caused my electric bill to quadruple over the last year. :rude:

ProphetOfDoom Try baking powder for ants, they carry this delicasy to their queen to feed her, causing a monthy-pyton scene.
Also, these little critters will not creep over copper, so some small coins superglued to the place where they come trough can block them.

But resistant anything is really a concern for me, albeit an abstract one. I have too much real shit to be scared of, for example that junior is under the knife again, right now, and what could happen. I already did that walk twice.

stupid and selfish people.
Exactly. Those include violent ones.

Plenty of those around nowadays :rolleyes:
In terms of absolute figures. The Gaussian distribution still applies on large populations, while some communities may do attract more of the similar.

Moskitos have killed more humans than spiders, by far.
There are regions on earth where are few moskitos.
There humans kill more humans than moskitos.

People who blindly follows "authorities" and "laws" (legal positivism).
History wise, "the government" killed more of it's own people then people from countries ruled by "enemy governments".

I don't fear people like Hitler, Stalin, Pinochet, Mobutu Sese Seko, Franco, Mussolini, Fidel Castro, Che Guevara, Papa Doc And Babe Doc, Mao Zedong, Kim Jong-un..... I fear the millions of people who blindly follows them in the name of common good, in the name of social justice, in the name of stability, to avoid climate change...... Without the later, the first ones are nobody!

Descending 40 feet into an empty tank with the steel ladder rungs corroded thinner and thinner every step until you can feel the rungs flexing with your weight.
Hoping you hit the bottom of the tank before the rungs go to zero.

Back