Thanks vs Reactions

What kind of feedback Forum's posts should have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think it's a bit of a bold move to allow us to also apply negative feedback. I pick that up as a signal that the staff takes the community serious and trusts us not to overdo it.
It wasn't a staff's decision, it just came with another XenForo update. Nobody here thought so deep to invent those reactions.

It wasn't a staff's decision, it just came with another XenForo update.
Yep, as far as I know it came with the latest update.

Perusing the admin panel I do see options to enable/disable each specific reaction. The "thanks" button is the only one that can't be turned off. But as danger@ already stated nobody is forcing you to use them. With the notable exception of the "thanks" button instead of countless posts with just "thanks" in them.

Thanks for validating my opinion, or thanks for helping me with a useful feature of FreeBSD?
Thumbs up, or like for liking or agreeing with an opinion makes more sense.
Thanks for validating an opinion is a heavy social media aspect.

The current vote is in favor of having "thanks only". 2/3 of the votes is in most democracies enough for changing the constitution.

We do NOT want to have a dumb "reaction score".

Respect peoples peoples vote here and give us back our "thanks".

getopt you are trying to show a strong voice here, but we had over 1,300 active users in last 3 months and only 45 votes were cast in this poll. I do not see that as enough for changing "the constitution". And don't forget, this place is more meritocracy than a democracy; this is not to mean we are not going to listen to our community, but I was not convinced this time.

What is missing is an appropriate action to make change happen.
That change is: Bring back our "thanks" - period.
The Thanks button has never been gone since reactions appeared here, it's still there and works the same way. It's still just one click to throw "Thanks" to a post. Some people didn't even notice the new reactions before this thread showed up. You don't like the other reactions? Don't use them, what's the matter?

Or is your problem that the "Thanks received" is now called "Reaction score"? We can rename it to something else if you suggest a better name, maybe "Engagement score" or "Received score" or something else?

ShelLuser said:
I actually think it's a bit of a bold move to allow us to also apply negative feedback. I pick that up as a signal that the staff takes the community serious and trusts us not to overdo it.
It wasn't a staff's decision, it just came with another XenForo update. Nobody here thought so deep to invent those reactions.
Actually the dislike reaction has a neutral effect on reaction score by default, however it has had a negative effect here since the beginning.

As I already mentioned, my personal opinion is in favor with keeping the reactions (it's just another feature that helps with community engagement), although I voted as "I don't care". I am not the only admin here and if any of the others thinks we should deactivate (any of) them I am not going to fight against it, nor be upset for taking that action.

Why don't you guys move on to something more productive and let this thread die?

Why don't you guys move on to something more productive and let this thread die?

danger@, I'm able to speak for myself only here, yet I'd like to answer this question.

The reason I'm still following this thread (and posting again) is, respectfully, because I like and care about FreeBSD (and this forum) quite a bit, and I feel that the new icons make the forum less elegant (because they seem tacky).

In other words, I feel like the new icons have caused a significant aesthetic regression from the former, thanks-only configuration.

we had over 1,300 active users in last 3 months and only 45 votes were cast in this poll
That means they don't care – in all meanings of this word.
I guess, you guys meritocrats prefer "don't care". Understood. No further questions, thanks.

What is that supposed to mean? Is it a threat?
There are the anxious ones and there are some who pretend being dangerous.
Is that a threat?

Meaning is created on the side of the recipient. Authors are not responsible for deficits on the recipients' side, but they should take this possibility into account too.

"It's not over" is just a fact - while some prefer "feelings" instead nowadays.

There are the anxious ones and there are some who pretend being dangerous.
Is that a threat?

Meaning is created on the side of the recipient. Authors are not responsible for deficits on the recipients' side, but they should take this possibility into account too.

"It's not over" is just a fact - while some prefer "feelings" instead nowadays.
That made no sense to me. I'll just shut up now. I'm clearly too stupid for this discussion.

That made no sense to me. I'll just shut up now. I'm clearly too stupid for this discussion.
Thank you for not trying to be deceptive. Trying to find what makes sense is often desired. That is the convenient part.

While sense is nothing what you can find outside of your brain, sense might evolve depending on resources you have. Being able to think (just a little more than usual) is a prerequisite although.

Shutting up may be a temporary workaround for stupidity but you cannot overcome it with that method.

That advice also applies to making a fool of oneself.

A rare case for the dislike button, but is also unnecessary.
Making a fool of oneself is when you obviously fail to understand while others can easily. Some satisfaction may arise if one think having found a greater fool than oneself is, but fools typically fail to identify other fools. That's what make the world go round.

Making a fool of oneself is when you obviously fail to understand while others can easily. Some satisfaction may arise if one think having found a greater fool than oneself is, but fools typically fail to identify other fools. That's what make the world go round.
You're the fool, and it's the fool who is so filled with emotion he doesn't realize it. It's the fool who is throwing a hissyfit. It's not surprising you didn't understand that. It's also not surprising you would come back whining and try to meaninglessly spin that around.

You could have kept it on the subject of the thread, instead of using personal attacks after you were being intentionally cryptic. You belong in a poetry forum.

To be honest, I didn’t like the name switch from „Thanks“ to „Reactions“ in the first place, mostly because the new naming didn’t make much sense for me, however, this was until I discovered, that we have now the Like/Dislike features, and that’s something which I Like. „Reactions“ as a term still feels a little bit strange to me. I’m a Chemist, and for us „Reactions“ are something different, for us a Reaction is when it stinks, fumes and bangs – looking at some posts on this threat, and thinking about it, perhaps it is not that far-fetched:-D

Now seriously, how about changing „Reaction score“ simply to „Rating“?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back