Steamuxulation redux

I used to play Project Zomboid Build 41 during its development around June-July with linux-steam-utils. With the final release of Build 41, it is no longer playable with the following output (Java-related though it includes the java runtime needed?):

sh:
/bin/sh\0-c\0/home/steam/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=108600 -- '/usr/home/steam/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/ProjectZomboid/projectzomboid.sh'\0
Game process added : AppID 108600 "/home/steam/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=108600 -- '/usr/home/steam/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/ProjectZomboid/projectzomboid.sh'", ProcID 66744, IP 0.0.0.0:0
chdir /usr/home/steam/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/ProjectZomboid
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/home/steam/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/home/steam/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
GameAction [AppID 108600, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
GameAction [AppID 108600, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""
pid 67220 != 66744, skipping destruction (fork without exec?)
64-bit java detected
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libPZXInitThreads64.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libPZXInitThreads64.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
Failed to create Java VM

libPZXInitThreads64.so? We should probably label this one "a critical lack of competence". They obviously do something stupid with their launcher or startup scripts if they need to preload things into their own project.

libPZXInitThreads64.so? We should probably label this one "a critical lack of competence". They obviously do something stupid with their launcher or startup scripts if they need to preload things into their own project.
Yep. I didn't think to SearX that, only was SearX-ing "Failed to create Java VM". Looks like users on Fedora and Debian get the same error:

4. Risen 2 (40390) — doesn't start no matter what. Seems to exit right after GetFileInformationByHandle call, which happens to be in exactly the same check that seems to work correctly for Mafia 2. Go figure.
Starts after winetricks physx. Not sure if anything changed in my environment besides that.

Update on PZ, the latest update launches without any "Failed to launch Java VM" but no window opens.

Bash:
Game process added : AppID 108600 "/home/steam/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=108600 -- '/usr/home/steam/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/ProjectZomboid/projectzomboid.sh'", ProcID 2577, IP 0.0.0.0:0
chdir /usr/home/steam/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/ProjectZomboid
GameAction [AppID 108600, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
GameAction [AppID 108600, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""
pid 3548 != 2577, skipping destruction (fork without exec?)
64-bit java detected

It still gives that "libPZXInitThreads64.so cannot be preloaded" error so this is the only other culprit. I think this object was present in the Build 41 beta that I played around summer last year, though.

Hello,

I got slipstream, a retro racing game built using Unity engine. It works, but there's no audio. I tried monofix and fmodfix; I know they shouldn't be required anymore, but figured I'd try, it doesn't help. No errors in the log that I can see, I attached it incase maybe there is something I overlooked. Sound in other Unity games works, like Horizon Chase Turbo for example. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Attachments

• slipstream.txt
    6.3 KB · Views: 124
After a long time I have finally upgraded my system from 12.3 to 13.1. Now when I try to run steam, I get the following error:
Code:
$ steam
Please, make sure the following requirements are satisfied:
  * write access to /compat/linux/dev/shm

My /etc/fstab looks like this:
Code:
$ more /etc/fstab
# Device        Mountpoint      FStype  Options Dump    Pass#
/dev/ada0s1b    none            swap    sw      0       0
/dev/ada0s1a    /               ufs     rw      1       1
proc    /proc           procfs  rw      0       0
linprocfs       /compat/linux/proc linprocfs    rw      0       0
linsysfs    /compat/linux/sys   linsysfs        rw      0       0
tmpfs    /compat/linux/dev/shm  tmpfs   rw,mode=1777    0       0
/dev/ada1p1     /Disk2          ufs     rw      2       2
fdesc   /dev/fd         fdescfs         rw      0       0

Nothing is mounted there, I suppose?
What should there be mounted? I have posted my /etc/fstab, I know nothing else. As I said, I performed an upgrade from 12.3 to 13.1, I use quarterly packages, everything seems to have been updated correctly, no problems or errors during the procedure.

EDIT: shkhln , is this what you are asking?

Code:
$ mount
/dev/ada0s1a on / (ufs, local, soft-updates)
devfs on /dev (devfs)
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
linprocfs on /compat/linux/proc (linprocfs, local)
linsysfs on /compat/linux/sys (linsysfs, local)
tmpfs on /compat/linux/dev/shm (tmpfs, local)
/dev/ada1p1 on /Disk2 (ufs, local, soft-updates)
fdescfs on /dev/fd (fdescfs)
devfs on /compat/linux/dev (devfs)
fdescfs on /compat/linux/dev/fd (fdescfs)

I have made a fresh install of FreeBSD 13.1 in Virtualbox and I get exactly the same error:

Code:
werner@virtualbox:~ $ steam
Please, make sure the following requirements are satisfied:
  * write access to /compat/linux/dev/shm

What is going on?

Code:
$ mount
/dev/ada0s1a on / (ufs, local, soft-updates)
devfs on /dev (devfs)
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
linprocfs on /compat/linux/proc (linprocfs, local)
linsysfs on /compat/linux/sys (linsysfs, local)
tmpfs on /compat/linux/dev/shm (tmpfs, local)
/dev/ada1p1 on /Disk2 (ufs, local, soft-updates)
fdescfs on /dev/fd (fdescfs)
devfs on /compat/linux/dev (devfs)
fdescfs on /compat/linux/dev/fd (fdescfs)
I think it is because of the order of the mount
see /compat/linux/dev/shm is mounted before /compat/linux/dev

I think you could probably just remove all the mount related to linuxulator, and just have in /etc/rc.conf
Code:
linux_enable="YES"
And make sure that
sysrc linux_mounts_enable
return
linux_mounts_enable: YES

It's apparently not exactly as you say, but it pointed me to the right direction:
I realized that the mount entries related to the linuxulator in /etc/fstab are not needed anymore, that stuff seems to get mounted now automatically when you have the entry 'linux_enable="YES"', in /etc/rc.conf, which I had. So probably this is what caused the problem. You still need the entry for mounting the procfs in /etc/fstab though.
And the very good news is, that I can finally play TF2 multiplayer with 13.1 now, I don't get kicked out from the VAC servers anymore. A rock stable and fluid experience! So thanks to everybody who made this finally possible!

And the very good news is, that I can finally play TF2 multiplayer with 13.1 now, I don't get kicked out from the VAC servers anymore. A rock stable and fluid experience! So thanks to everybody who made this finally possible!
I also enjoy playing TF2 this way on FreeBSD, it even runs smoother in my experience. Unfortunately if I happen to suspend and resume (which works fine outside of the Linuxulator), the game and anything in the Linuxulator will become choppy due to no hardware acceleration. Its not an issue with steam-linux-utils but puts a dent on things.

For a few weeks now, after some upgrade of Steam itself probably, the steam browser appears all black again, so I cannot even view my library of installed games anymore.

For a few weeks now, after some upgrade of Steam itself probably, the steam browser appears all black again, so I cannot even view my library of installed games anymore.
Just tried this, and after steam updated, I was getting a blank login screen. I've pulled the latest changes from git, compiled and updated, and now it works. I don't use the linux-steam-utils port, but I assume it's just a matter for time before port and pkg are updated with the latest changes from git, which appear to fix this issue; the store and library are rendering like they normally do.

Hope this helps

I can confirm Tropico 5 works on FreeBSD 13-STABLE

Wasteland 3 was working but now it doesn't work... NFI why though...

Edit: I lied sorry, no sounds for Tropico 5. I could have sworn it was working a few months ago but I could be mistaken...

Hello,

After steams new UI update, when I launch Steam, it just spins on the Waiting for network... screen; it doesn't get to the actual login prompt. I'm using latest git; I've done a git pull, make, sudo make install. Everything was working fine prior to the update...I understand this is a pretty big update in terms of UI changes. I'm not seeing errors in the log...any idea what the issue might be? Anyone else having issue after the update?

Thank you

Hello,

After steams new UI update, when I launch it, it just spins on the Waiting for network... screen, doesn't get to the actual login prompt. I'm using latest git; I've done a git pull, make, sudo make install. Everything was working find prior to the update...I understand this is a pretty big one in terms of UI changes. Not seeing errors in the log...any idea what the issue might be? Anyone else having issue after the update?

Thank you
This might not be a linux-steam-utils issue, it appears to be happening on some native Linux installations too and there is a bug report open for it: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/9587

Using the suggested -vgui arg to launch helps; I can log in using old UI. Some things like Friends list and stuff is not loading because of "Network Unreachable" error which is mentioned in that same bug report too. Maybe Vavle will get it fixed in a future update.

Edit: I lied sorry, no sounds for Tropico 5. I could have sworn it was working a few months ago but I could be mistaken...
I'm on 13.2-Release, I just installed Tropico 5 and everything works for me, including sound. I started a tutorial just to make sure actual in game sound works, not just menu music, and yea; narrator, music and clicking on things, all sound effects appear to work. Is sound working for you in other games? Are you sure you have the right audio output device selected/configured; HDMI vs Analog, etc? FreeBSD doesn't always automatically switch to the right one (or the one you'd expect), so I'd check that first if you have multiple audio out devices.

Thanks for bringing this game to my attention, I got it in a humblebundle some time ago and never got around to playing it. This gave me a reason to try it out and now I'll spend some time with it :)

Anyone else having issue after the update?
Yes, I do, too. The app just crashes and I am back to the prompt (launched "steam" from the terminal). I just have a general question for my understanding: Why does this steam-client need so many updates all the time anyway? Shouldn't this be a piece of software that works "as is" for years now?

Why does this steam-client need so many updates all the time anyway? Shouldn't this be a piece of software that works "as is" for years now?
The conversion to chromium has now been running for years. Sometimes more, sometimes less is remade or changed.

Chromium is also a software in itself that is constantly changing and e.g. in things like here also sometimes needs adjustments.

Back