[SOLVED] No Touchpad After Install

Recently I got a Asus Tuf Gaming A17 laptop. After a while I was able to resolve my wifi problems, but I'm still not able to use the touchpad. Usually I just install xf86-input-synaptics and that fixes it. I installed xf86-input-synaptics and libsynaptics, but no change. I added 'hw.psm.synaptics_support="1"' to /boot/loader.conf. I tried a couple examples of /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf like this:

Code:
Section "InputClass"
  Identifier "touchpad"
  MatchIsTouchpad "on"
  Driver "libinput"
  Option "Tapping" "on"
EndSection

I tried the bsdconfig utility, but none of the options under mouse changed anything. I did notice this though:

$ synclient
Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?

I tried searching for that online, but did not find a resolution. It seems like a driver isn't loaded, though I'm not sure how to resolve this.

Also, moused is disabled. Any suggestions appreciated.

Usually I just install xf86-input-synaptics and that fixes it.
Meaning you've had FreeBSD on this device before and the trackpad worked?

I have two Asus laptops, one similar to yours and the touchpad is a no-go because it's elantech i2c. Someone wrote a driver I think but it's not part of FreeBSD. I can't find it just now, but I believe it's on Github.

RTFM psm(4) & moused(8). If your touchpad is supported, usually (corrected) sysrc moused_flags+=" -l 2" (set psm(4) to level 2: enable extended mouse communication protocol), service moused enable followed by service moused start should enable the specialized touchpad driver to get the extended data to & from the touchpad. Otherwise, the touchpad will claim to be an ordinary PS/2 mouse. For the average use-case, I recommend not to have a xorg.conf(5) file, but instead to rely on Xorg(1)'s automagic configuration.
EDIT From pkg info -D xorg-server: [...] add kern.evdev.rcpt_mask=6 to sysctl.conf(5) (at runtime: sysctl kern.evdev.rcpt_mask=6).

RTFM psm(4) & moused(8). If your touchpad is supported, usually sysrc moused_flags +=" -l 2" (set psm(4) to level 2: enable extended mouse communication protocol), service moused enable followed by service moused start should enable the specialized touchpad driver to get the extended data to & from the touchpad. Otherwise, the touchpad will claim to be an ordinary PS/2 mouse. For the average use-case, I recommend not to have a xorg.conf(5) file, but instead to rely on Xorg(1)'s automagic configuration.
Here's what I got when I ran your commands:
# sysrc moused_flags +=" -l 2"
moused_flags:
# service moused enable
moused enabled in /etc/rc.conf
# service moused start
Starting default moused
moused: unable to open /dev/psm0: No such file or directory

I don't think that first one is right since mouse_flags: seemed to reply empty. Obviously something is wrong with the 3rd command, or something needs to happen before the execution of these commands.

I'm glad someone is helping me, but let's please try to be nicer than saying RTFM. I might be new to FreeBSD, but if I knew which manual to research, I would have done it. I'm just trying to learn here. I'm going to look into the driver Phalange mentioned now, but if you have other suggestions on correcting or changing the commands you provided I'll be willing to try.

Thanks

Meaning you've had FreeBSD on this device before and the trackpad worked?

I have two Asus laptops, one similar to yours and the touchpad is a no-go because it's elantech i2c. Someone wrote a driver I think but it's not part of FreeBSD. I can't find it just now, but I believe it's on Github.
Okay, this is probably gonna show how much of a n00b I am. I found a driver on github I mentioned here earlier that seemed to be what you referred to. I can't seem to find any make file though. Once I go in that folder's directory these are the only files:

$ find . -type f
./releng10.3/patched/sys/dev/atkbdc/psm.c
./releng10.3/patched/sys/dev/atkbdc/atkbd.c
./releng10.3/patched/sys/dev/atkbdc/atkbdcreg.h
./releng10.3/patched/sys/dev/atkbdc/atkbdc.c
./releng10.3/patched/sys/sys/mouse.h
./releng10.3/patched/usr.sbin/moused/moused.c
./releng10.3/original/usr.sbin/moused/moused.c
./releng10.3/original/sys/sys/mouse.h
./releng10.3/original/sys/dev/atkbdc/atkbd.c
./releng10.3/original/sys/dev/atkbdc/psm.c
./releng10.3/original/sys/dev/atkbdc/atkbdc.c
./releng10.3/original/sys/dev/atkbdc/atkbdcreg.h
./COPYRIGHT
./original.diff
./README.md

The README didn't seem to have any build steps. Just what to put in /boot/loader.conf after its built. I tried looking for how to build drivers from github for FreeBSD on google, but didn't really find much that would apply to this. Any tips?

Here's what I got when I ran your commands:
# sysrc moused_flags +=" -l 2"
I'm sorry. The correct command is sysrc moused_flags+=" -l 2" without the space. I'll edit my previous post so that noone copies that typo again. I guess, but don't know, that this is useful for your touchpad, too. To be clear: without setting the psm(4) driver to level 2, the touchpad should still work, but only as a dumb PS/2 mouse with fixed default settings, and without support for special touchpad drivers & configuration like adjusting the pressure etc.
[...]
moused: unable to open /dev/psm0: No such file or directory
This means you do not have the standard PS/2 mouse device/interface to the OS because your touchpad was not detected: it is not a Synaptics touchpad. From the previous posts I guess yours is an Elantech. You have to set hw.psm.elantech_support="1" in loader.conf(5) EDIT and add kern.evdev.rcpt_mask=6 to sysctl.conf(5), /EDIT then reboot to enable that. That type of touchpad should be supported by libinput(4) (I see a /usr/local/share/libinput/30-vendor-elantech.quirks), so please do not try to compile a driver yourself. If it's supported by libinput(4), it should be automagically detected by Xorg(1)'s autoconfiguration. If it's not supported, it should still be usable as standard PS/2 mouse. In the latter case, you can revert sysrc moused_flags-=" -l 2" and if you do not need the mouse on the console, you can also service moused disable. Good luck.
EDIT You may also want to add message: "query '[%C/%n] %M'", to the ALIAS section of /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf and read through all pkg message|less to check for other settings requested by any package you installed.

[..] I'm glad someone is helping me, but let's please try to be nicer than saying RTFM. I might be new to FreeBSD, but if I knew which manual to research, I would have done it. [...]
Whenever I write RTFM (read the fine manual page) I refer to this as: "You can find related information in ...". I don't know why so many people think it has a negative conotation. At least one person does not mean it in an offensive way, including me. Please let me know if the infos I gave were helpful.

[...]
./releng10.3/patched/sys/dev/atkbdc/psm.c
./releng10.3/patched/sys/dev/atkbdc/atkbd.c
./releng10.3/patched/sys/dev/atkbdc/atkbdcreg.h
./releng10.3/patched/sys/dev/atkbdc/atkbdc.c
./releng10.3/patched/sys/sys/mouse.h
./releng10.3/patched/usr.sbin/moused/moused.c
./releng10.3/original/usr.sbin/moused/moused.c
./releng10.3/original/sys/sys/mouse.h
./releng10.3/original/sys/dev/atkbdc/atkbd.c
./releng10.3/original/sys/dev/atkbdc/psm.c
./releng10.3/original/sys/dev/atkbdc/atkbdc.c
./releng10.3/original/sys/dev/atkbdc/atkbdcreg.h
./COPYRIGHT
./original.diff
./README.md[/CMD]

The README didn't seem to have any build steps. Just what to put in /boot/loader.conf after its built. I tried looking for how to build drivers from github for FreeBSD on google, but didn't really find much that would apply to this. Any tips?
These are changes to the genuine FreeBSD 10.3 source files (in releng10.3/original/) to get that touchpad working. The changed files are under releng10.3/patched/, and the diff (which can be feeded to patch(1)) is in the file original.diff. Iff your device is not supported on 12.x, you can try to manually patch that diff into the sources of 12.x by carefully finding the lines that correspond and edit accordingly. I guess automatic patching will very likely not succeed, given that too many lines have changed since 10.3, and thus patch(1) will fail.

No, I was referring to other laptops in the past. Is this the driver you are referring to?

I wasn't aware of that one. I was thinking of this

I can't vouch for it since I didn't install it though.

Whenever I write RTFM (read the fine manual page) I refer to this as: "You can find related information in ...". I don't know why so many people think it has a negative conotation.
I have seen this rendered as Read The Friendly Manual and Read The Fine Manual, but 9 times in 10 people mean Read The F******* Manual (expletive withheld😉). I know you didn't mean it that way; after all, you've helped me on these forums.

Just saying, I think people take it to mean "don't waste my time if you haven't done your homework" rather than "here's a suggested source for more information."

Recently I got a Asus Tuf Gaming A17 laptop. After a while I was able to resolve my wifi problems, but I'm still not able to use the touchpad. Usually I just install xf86-input-synaptics and that fixes it. ...
Lucky you. I always have to add xf86-input-libinput. For some reason or other, it DOES NOT install this automatically. I can't say it is not my fault (maybe supposed to use some mega-package or whatever they call it), but recently installed on an old Lenovo T61, so I had to manually add this one in addition to synaptics.

EDIT: I remember this was the case when X was migrating to this libinput thing. But I don't do installations every day... so perhaps this bug wasn't resolved?...

Great! Then feel free to mark this thread as solved, to give others who search the forum an indication that this thread contains a solution: On the 1st post, click "..." -> edit thread -> prefix: solved

Back