So I Found This Website Where It Says That FreeBSD Is Based On The Linux Kernel... fsck? :(

Tech-support for my VPN seemed miffed at me recently. Kept referencing how, if I'd just use Linux, I'd see what they are seeing. Not my fault they started allowing FreeBSD. :cool: (Edit: Nothing BAD. Nothing that reflects negatively on FreeBSD, other than these tech-support guys just don't understand FreeBSD.)

Tech-support for my VPN seemed miffed at me recently. Kept referencing how, if I'd just use Linux, I'd see what they are seeing. Not my fault they started allowing FreeBSD. :cool: (Edit: Nothing BAD. Nothing that reflects negatively on FreeBSD, other than these tech-support guys just don't understand FreeBSD.)
Heh.
lsq21vitcfq21.jpg

A couple Spectrum Techs that came to my apartment to work on the cable had some idea what FreeBSD was. Like Linux, isn't it?

One wanted to know what I did with the 5 laptops I had setting out so I showed him what a FreeBSD desktop looked like and said I had 3 more. He asked if I could have them all online at once would I, and stood there staring till I pushed him out the door when I told him I had 7 online at once with a switch. He came back a second time and I showed him my site and Demonica on her chat page but he just stood there wide-eyed. Nobody has any idea what bots are and the concept seems to escape them.

The other guy was more into it and said he might try FreeBSD out sometime.

Regarding meeting FBSD-User ...

in my early days, at the time I "was into FreeBSD", I had a FreeBSD Bumper sticker on my car (I'm located in germany). Once I was in the Netherlands for a small visit, when I came back to my car, I had a notice under my windshield wiper from a - at that time - FreeBSD Core Member Team. Somehow funny and made me smile.

Years later, in the meantime I moved from FreeBSD to Debian (in my company and for private use - *shame on me*) I called a Linux-Consulting company and they send me a technician. After describing him my problem where he should help me, he told me, that he is mainly using FreeBSD ... O:‑)

Just for the records, FreeBSD is getting now again more of my attention. My web- and mailserver for a handfull of domains is now based on FBSD, my private workstation and currently it seems, that I'll install a new server for a new web-application (where I'll start between the years) for the company I work for, will be based on FreeBSD.

You must create the new ones. I once got a job offer dealing with a hardware driver for some custom HW. The patch against the linux kernel source was something like 12MB.
I handed the PL the FreeBSD Device Drivers and asked what in hades they were up to there.
We ended up running FreeBSD.

A couple Spectrum Techs that came to my apartment to work on the cable had some idea what FreeBSD was. Like Linux, isn't it?

One wanted to know what I did with the 5 laptops I had setting out so I showed him what a FreeBSD desktop looked like and said I had 3 more. He asked if I could have them all online at once would I, and stood there staring till I pushed him out the door when I told him I had 7 online at once with a switch. He came back a second time and I showed him my site and Demonica on her chat page but he just stood there wide-eyed. Nobody has any idea what bots are and the concept seems to escape them.

The other guy was more into it and said he might try FreeBSD out sometime.
It would be rather unfair of me to say that all Spectrum Techs are incompetent, but honestly, one told me that they are just trained to do a certain amount of things, and that's it. :\

You must create the new ones. I once got a job offer dealing with a hardware driver for some custom HW. The patch against the linux kernel source was something like 12MB.
I handed the PL the FreeBSD Device Drivers and asked what in hades they were up to there.
We ended up running FreeBSD.
We need more reaction images on this forum. :D

It would be rather unfair of me to say that all Spectrum Techs are incompetent, but honestly, one told me that they are just trained to do a certain amount of things, and that's it. :\

When I was seeing another Spectrum IP# in NoScript at several sites I called to ask them why. That I was using FreeBSD and UNIX was not vulnerable to Windows exploits so they could rule that out now. She talked to a 2nd teir guy who she said told me to call the UNIX tech helpline for assistance.

Then we talked a bit and she admitted her boss might not be as knowledgeable about computers as some, but that she previously worked as a programmer before starting with Spectrum.

But the errant IP# disappeared after that and have never seen it since.

It would be rather unfair of me to say that all Spectrum Techs are incompetent, but honestly, one told me that they are just trained to do a certain amount of things, and that's it.

They're pretty strict in what they actually allow them to do. Most will not go off-script from their training. Though I have encountered techs that are more or less competent than others. It can be pretty frustrating when you get a bad one.

For example the place I moved into last year had a pretty screwy cable setup. There was an amp inline was causing some signal saturation for the modem. No amp was actually required. A good tech would have arranged splitters in a smart way to avoid the need for one. I re-arranged things myself and eliminated the amp. Solved my signal problem and was glad to avoid a service call.

When I was seeing another Spectrum IP# in NoScript at several sites I called to ask them why. That I was using FreeBSD and UNIX was not vulnerable to Windows exploits so they could rule that out now. She talked to a 2nd teir guy who she said told me to call the UNIX tech helpline for assistance.

Then we talked a bit and she admitted her boss might not be as knowledgeable about computers as some, but that she previously worked as a programmer before starting with Spectrum.

But the errant IP# disappeared after that and have never seen it since.
Wierd.... Have you used tcpdump? :) That helps, though it can be a bit overwhelming.... Wireshark is good too, but I'm not yet sure if it's available for the BSDs... But that's cool that Spectrum has a Programmer working for them. :D

They're pretty strict in what they actually allow them to do. Most will not go off-script from their training. Though I have encountered techs that are more or less competent than others. It can be pretty frustrating when you get a bad one.

For example the place I moved into last year had a pretty screwy cable setup. There was an amp inline was causing some signal saturation for the modem. No amp was actually required. A good tech would have arranged splitters in a smart way to avoid the need for one. I re-arranged things myself and eliminated the amp. Solved my signal problem and was glad to avoid a service call.
I LOVE that feeling when I successfully fix something, Programming or other things. :D I'm glad you got it sorted out. :)

I LOVE that feeling when I successfully fix something, Programming or other things. :D I'm glad you got it sorted out. :)
Yeah thanks. In general nobody will do as good of a job on something as you will do for yourself, assuming you have the skills to perform the task. Service people are always under pressure to do things quickly as possible so they don't pay attention to detail. It's more about getting the job done quickly.

Though as I get older I'm finding there's less I'm physically capable of doing. For example I had a plumbing problem that caused some drywall damage. There's no way I could have done the refurbishment as well as the people I hired. So when you have the skills it's always nice to solve problems yourself. You can get a better result and that is very satisfying.

Wierd.... Have you used tcpdump? :) That helps, though it can be a bit overwhelming.... Wireshark is good too, but I'm not yet sure if it's available for the BSDs... But that's cool that Spectrum has a Programmer working for them. :D

Yes, I've used tcpdump, it's very handy. She told me that had a thingy with sites to watch if people went to them but said she checked and there was only one listed.

I might have been using Kail for wifi earlier and not rebooted when I logged into Charter, I dropped my Internet service just before I needed it more than ever and had to use our hotspot of the Library, so my useragnet might have caused consternation in some way. That was probably it since I was seeing it at medical sites and only go to a few sites anyway. I never did register online like they wanted me to do.

I had a horrible run of bad luck that seemed to coinside with ending net service and stopped soon after starting back up again. I usually lead a charmed life and have a theory about that, but look for signs or lessons in everything and things back to going my way now.

Yes, I've used tcpdump, it's very handy. She told me that had a thingy with sites to watch if people went to them but said she checked and there was only one listed.

I might have been using Kail for wifi earlier and not rebooted when I logged into Charter, I dropped my Internet service just before I needed it more than ever and had to use our hotspot of the Library, so my useragnet might have caused consternation in some way. That was probably it since I was seeing it at medical sites and only go to a few sites anyway. I never did register online like they wanted me to do.

I had a horrible run of bad luck that seemed to coinside with ending net service and stopped soon after starting back up again. I usually lead a charmed life and have a theory about that, but look for signs or lessons in everything and things back to going my way now.
Cool. :) I've used Kali before, and like it, but I'd rather make my own Programs for Pen Testing. :) But yeah, I remember just being able to use the Internet at public WiFi spots, at stores and gas stations, without accepting the TOS (Terms Of Service). :) I let the manager know at a gas station nearby, who's a good friend of mine, and they seem to have fixed it. :) But you are correct.... Every time someone makes a mistake, or runs into a situation, they can learn something new. :) Now, I don't get so worried when I see *BSD go into Single-User Mode. :D It usually happens because of an erroneous fstab File in /etc. :) Hey, what's your theory about your Life? :) I like theories and hypothesis.... :3

Yeah thanks. In general nobody will do as good of a job on something as you will do for yourself, assuming you have the skills to perform the task. Service people are always under pressure to do things quickly as possible so they don't pay attention to detail. It's more about getting the job done quickly.

Though as I get older I'm finding there's less I'm physically capable of doing. For example I had a plumbing problem that caused some drywall damage. There's no way I could have done the refurbishment as well as the people I hired. So when you have the skills it's always nice to solve problems yourself. You can get a better result and that is very satisfying.
Yeah. :) No problem. :) That's my business. :) I help people who aren't as Tech-savvy install Linux on their PCs, and other things related to Software. :) My clients all seemed to be patient so far, so I'm lucky in that regard. Being Irish helps with luck. :D I'm looking into introducing people to the BSDs, and see if they like what they see. I bet they would, if I already showed them around Linux. :) I also hope to do charity events one day, for people who can't afford to get their Laptops up and running, and want something fast, reliable, secure, and stable. :) I like making a living to buy more Sushi and taking my Mom out to eat, but I love helping others more. :)

Hey, what's your theory about your Life? :) I like theories and hypothesis.... :3

Well since you asked... :)

Like the Black Oak Arkansas song of my youth Lord Have Mercy On My Soul. It's the life I've lived, keeping details to a minimum:

I've walked through the Halls of Karma
I shook hands with both the Devil and God
They turned my eyes to the inside to see
Where my energies have gone
Yes I've run with both all through my life
I've respected and reflected them both
Yes the sympathy of God as he looked at my life
The excitement of the Devil as we talked.

I talk to God. He never talks to me but I know He listens.
I never talk to the Devil but if he talks I'm all ears.

God teaches me cold, hard lessons to bring me back in line if I get out of hand. It's how I know He cares. I just got a taste of my own medicine to get my attention with a harder lesson in my own style so obviously full of irony it left me in absolute awe of the depth and skill of it. It went far beyond chance and hit the mark dead on.

I got the message and things are going my way again, but arrogance always been my downfall and the lesson still not over. It's the second time He's taught me a lesson on this but I got too full of myself and forgot about it, which is the nature of it. He went straight to the core of the problem and taught me a lesson in ruthlessness to make sure it doesn't happen again. It's what I deserved and serves me right.

I only ask God for forgiveness or protection. He gives me what I need and what I want is not always what I need so I don't ask for personal favors.

The devils work sometimes needs done.

The rest is on me and do as I see fit. Good and bad relative to the situation.

Back