Slow network performance on WAN

I like to rename my interfaces so they're intuitive to me.

ugen6.2: <TP-LINK USB 10/100/1000 LAN> at usbus6
ure0 on uhub0
ure0: <TP-LINK USB 10/100/1000 LAN, class 0/0, rev 2.10/30.00, addr 2> on usbus6
miibus1: <MII bus> on ure0
rgephy1: <RTL8251/8153 1000BASE-T media interface> PHY 0 on miibus1
rgephy1: none, 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT-FDX, 1000baseT-FDX-master, auto
ue0: <USB Ethernet> on ure0
ue0: Ethernet address: <OMITTED>
ue0: link state changed to DOWN
ue0: changing name to 'wan'
wan: link state changed to UP
wan: link state changed to DOWN

Changing the config to 1 caused the device to disappear ...
oh ok, it's just impossible to discern the device driver when it's called 'wlan' that's all

I like to rename my interfaces so they're intuitive to me.

ugen6.2: <TP-LINK USB 10/100/1000 LAN> at usbus6
ure0 on uhub0
ure0: <TP-LINK USB 10/100/1000 LAN, class 0/0, rev 2.10/30.00, addr 2> on usbus6
miibus1: <MII bus> on ure0
rgephy1: <RTL8251/8153 1000BASE-T media interface> PHY 0 on miibus1
rgephy1: none, 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT-FDX, 1000baseT-FDX-master, auto
ue0: <USB Ethernet> on ure0
ue0: Ethernet address: <OMITTED>
ue0: link state changed to DOWN
ue0: changing name to 'wan'

Changing the config to 1 caused the device to disappear ...
What was the log message?

I ran that command again to try to pull logs and it didn't make the device disappear, but it did cause it to lose its IP. I was able to renew it and functionality worked as normal. However, there was no difference in bandwidth after running that command.

I can see that usbconfig dump_all_config_desc shows the 2 configurations, but can't make heads or tails of what it means.

same trouble with same TP-LINK USB-ETHERNET 1Gbps adapter, but in USB3.0 port

test of http download:
# fetch http://10.9.9.5/sized.apk
fetch: http://10.9.9.5/sized.apk: size of remote file is not known
sized.apk 76 MB 9 MBps 08s
That’s the speed I would expect from a USB ethernet adapter with FreeBSD.

If you need more speed, buy a PCIe NIC. If you can’t do that, but you still need more ports, buy a network switch and connect it to the internal port. The 1 Gbps will be shared in this case, but that’s still better than USB ethernet. If you need to control the ports from FreeBSD (e.g. for routing, IPFW rules, whatever), choose a VLAN-capable switch and configure a VLAN trunk on the FreeBSD machine, then you’ll get the switch ports as separate virtual interfaces vlan0, vlan1, vlan2 etc.

By the way, you forgot to show the output from ifconfig(8) and usbconfig(8). Related lines from dmesg(8) could be useful, too.

I switched to PCIe and am getting what I expect. I was hoping to use USB NICs so that I could have an extra battery backup by taking advantage of the laptop battery.

Back