Reading your 'reminder' link, I see you telling the following kind of thing:
1. Telegram is not designed to resist mass surveillance: it does not use e2e encryption by default (afaik, e2e is also not supported in the official desktop client)
The deskotp client uses the cloud-based encryption.
So, you have no idea what e2e means and yet you are still here giving security advice. You don't see anything wrong with that, do you?

So, you have no idea what e2e means and yet you are still here giving security advice. You don't see anything wrong with that, do you?
You have misinterpreted me.
Telegram says it uses two types of encryption for content sent on its platform: cloud-based and end-to-end.
The fact that I say that the desktop client uses cloud-based encryption means that I am aware of Telegram's exact terminology, and also means that I knew that they do not use end-to-end encryption for the desktop client.
I also made it clear a second time that I was aware of this:
'Signal is a little bit safer in this area.'
If you reread my comment more carefully you are going to see that I agreed with you (about point 1) and that all my previous statements do not indicate that I did not know exactly what 'end-to-end' encryption means.

My impression is simply that Telegram is still much more popular than Signal at the moment. You can e.g. check out this chart:
The number of downloads of Telegram continues in an increasing trend, while the number of downloads of Whatsapp and Signal remain fairly flat on average. (see Q4 2021-Q4 2022)

It is clear to me that Telegram is currently much more popular than Signal, so if the Telegram app does not have a maintainer then that takes priority over the Signal app for me.

I am not an opponent of Signal. Nor am I saying that Signal is more insecure than Telegram. I'm saying that Signal probably has better privacy, but that we don't know for sure because there are many things we don't know about.

I am not going to continue on this topic, if you think I made a wrong statement about something I just want to say that you probably misunderstood me. I make very few erroneous statements.

Mandatory e2e is the whole point of Signal existence, so that's not a slight difference. It's important both because it hides conversations from the server side and because the sheer volume of unimportant trivial conversations is supposed to give people that actually need proper encryption a better chance of hiding in the crowd. Since Telegram competes for the audience with actual e2e messengers it actively hurts the latter property. They even have a nerve to specifically target privacy-conscientious people by always advertising Telegram as the most secure, most private, most everything ultimate messaging app without any downsides or limitations.

By the way, Signal is solely concerned with the mass surveillance and its effects, keep your targeted surveillance "counterexamples" to yourself. Targeted surveillance is basically a game over scenario for a regular person, no software alone can help with that. (Which is why it's so important to stay under the radar.)

I fixed the build issue on the latest branch. I'll try to backport the fix to the quarterly branch next week.
I saw that you also backported 6.26 to quarterly.

Thank you very much!

In the past with the only quarterly updates sometimes near the end of the quarter Signal stopped sending messages because it was outdated. With the more frequent updates this should no longer happen. :)

There's privacy/security considerations for different messaging/VOIP applications.

Thread comparisons-of-xmpp-signal-mqtt-tox-telegram.65834 has links to a few articles and discussion to give an idea about security or privacy between different communication technologies.

Some don't want to use their phone number, because that's a concern in itself. Even in cases like that, Signal has use, that it's more secure than default SMS, Telegram and Whatsapp. Signal can be used for a short time after a phone number is no longer in use. I see Signal as, communicating with people who you would give your phone number to. For a few reasons, I use Signal, but I also use XMPP. I'm also still learning about other messaging/VOIP/communication technologies.

There's other considerations, as Signal is easier to be blocked, but that only happens in certain countries, and a few of those countries try to make privacy chats illegal anyway.

I am not an opponent of Signal. Nor am I saying that Signal is more insecure than Telegram. I'm saying that Signal probably has better privacy, but that we don't know for sure because there are many things we don't know about.
From what I've looked into, Signal is more secure and has better privacy than Telegram. There's a few links and discussions about it in that thread to determine which ones are more secure for a few types. This thread is about using Signal though, and it's useful, even if it's not the best application. Signal is the best or one of the best applications for privacy that uses phone numbers. Unless Signal was worse than Telegram, I don't see a reason to bump Signal down for something not as good. As for exploits, because Signal has a lot of attention and is a high value target, that more work was done to find exploits. The article you linked, claimed Signal was one of the most secure, and thus a bounty was issued to find exploits for bad purposes.

Topics about which is better or problems about one are better off on that other thread. There seems to be a bias in the way Signal is criticized constantly, when the linked articles vary from the message itself. Link posts, because we need to see them, but be more accurate to what the problem is according to those posts. Potential exploit problems with Signal are relevant to all other messengers. Russia already has keys to Telegram (according to a link in that thread), so this is one reason for the bounty on Signal.

A good quality about Signal, is that OMEMO for XMPP is based on its encryption transport protocol.

I understand your concern about security, keep in mind that signal-desktop uses a 1.6GB of yarn modules and electron16. So if you really care about security I wouldn't use it. The linux version uses a prebuilt binary for : libcrypto.a, ringrtc, libsignal-client.
Is another consideration for Signal use on FreeBSD.

Signal use is interesting on my computer, especially on the text client. It prints out a scan code. In my case, this code took up more than the screen itself, so I had to resize it, to use my camera phone on it, then bind my computer (FreeBSD) client to that Signal account. I could only use Signal with either my computer or phone at a time. I stuck with leaving Signal on my phone from then on.

Did signal-desktop disappear from packages for anyone else? First I noticed a warning in the app telling me it's outdated and won't work anymore. When I tried
pkg search signal-desktop
nothing turned up.

Did signal-desktop disappear from packages …

<https://www.freshports.org/net-im/signal-desktop/#packages>

Code:
% pkg search signal-desktop ; uname -KU
1500013 1500013
%

Because there's no way to build it? (Comment 10)

Instead: comment 14, which is consistent with <https://www.freshports.org/net-im/signal-desktop/#requiredtobuild> where devel/electron28 is a build dependency.

<http://beefy8.nyi.freebsd.org/build.html?mastername=140amd64-quarterly&build=111fb6e9e181#queued> (done) electron28 was not queued.

<http://beefy12.nyi.freebsd.org/build.html?mastername=140amd64-default&build=e9c9c73181b5> for latest, electron25 is building, electron28 is blacklisted.

acheron I just read through PR 277407 and wanted to say: There are users out there who really appreciate all the time and effort you have put into maintaining the net-im/signal-desktop.
Thanks a lot!

I am really sorry that sticking your head out and doing all the work just meant that you had to endure these insults.
Just upgraded to 13.2-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE-p2 GENERIC amd64 and the Signal-desktop doesn't work and returns an error of
Undefined symbol "_ZN6snappy11RawCompressEPKcmPcPm"
Forgive my newbieness, but I guess that means the upgrade shouldn't have included that, or if it did, should have flagged it.
I'm not sure where or how to report this - but Signal is important to me.
I presume this is the same problem as mentioned previously on this thread.
Anyway, any guidance / explanation would be helpful to me.
Thanks,

Just upgraded to 13.2-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE-p2 GENERIC amd64 and the Signal-desktop doesn't work and returns an error of
Undefined symbol "_ZN6snappy11RawCompressEPKcmPcPm"
Forgive my newbieness, but I guess that means the upgrade shouldn't have included that, or if it did, should have flagged it.
I'm not sure where or how to report this - but Signal is important to me.
I presume this is the same problem as mentioned previously on this thread.
Anyway, any guidance / explanation would be helpful to me.
Thanks,
Yes, it no longer starts. But even if it started, the version is outdated and no longer able to send any messages.

I also dearly miss Signal.

That error indicates that Signal isn't linked against the new OS and needs to be rebuilt. You'll have to do this from ports, not pkg. Of course, this will manifest the eternal pkg vs ports issue.

Back