Setting up a (Debian) Linux jail on FreeBSD

Doing this they translate system calls from one API/ABI to another and emulate the Linux system call table.

I hate to disappoint you, but that is how Linuxulator works in the first place.

If you need mostly to use Linux software that doesn't ported FreeBSD - easy way to use native Debian Linux without any software crooked nails, braces and the big time consumption.

That's just wrong.

That's just wrong.
Why I need to jump with a tambourine and spend a lot of time on it is not clear and not predictable results if I can run needed me applications on another OS without those problems?
Time is the very expensive and non-renewable resource.
The hell with systemd , 20M lines code - but I have what I need. I work with laptop, no heavy loaded server. Something like this :)

My target was to run Anaconda distribution on FreeBSD in the Jevuan jail. This attempts failed and this experiments over.

Looks this was copy-pasted from the (obsolete) Oracle documentation, otherwise the text would mention ability to run 64-bit Linux binaries, which I presume Illumos supports. In any case, this mostly describes container management and not emulation itself.

Why are we going through this exercise anyway? I'm just curious how many posts it would take you to admit that there exist only one (!) way of emulating the Linux kernel. That is, implementing it's public API, which means implementing Linux syscalls.

Nobody ever claimed FreeBSD jails have the same management capabilities, that's a straw man argument. The Linux emulation, however, is quite comparable. I wouldn't be surprised if Linuxulator runs circles around Illumos' implementation with regard to the completeness/compatibility.

But it clearly explains exactly what branded zones are, which is what you asked for.

I didn't.

A little off topic for the respect community because I don't want make new thread..
How I understand hasn't insurance that Debian Jail will work correct with Linux application.
The little question - will work Nvida CUDA with the Linux applicatons in the current linuxator with driver's for FreeBSD version higher than 4XX,XX ?
Because in the description linux-nvidia-libs-440.31 I read one sententious here
This makes amd64 Linux OpenGL programs work on FreeBSD 12.0 and recent 11-STABLE. This does not enable CUDA.
For example can I start TensorFlow 2 on Linuxator? Or if I tried to setup TensorFlow 2 in Linuxator I spent for nothing my time?
P.S I want install Spyder in FreeBSD through default pip python3.7 - this operation finished a huge quantity of errors.

Sorry, then I have to staying on the Debian...
Good luck everybody, I switch to reading mode..But I take with me the ZFS - I liked it very much.
Biggest RedHat, Oracle and other IT giants with bllianary R&D budgets (i begin suspect that they sawing money and simulation innovation) can't do it better that ZFS file systems over last 14 years. Although also ZFS isn't full ideal - but full ideal never reachable.Bye bye all..

I closely followed all step to set up a Linux jail on FreeBSD 11.3. The final step results this,

root@freebsd-3M5C:/opt/jails/devuan # jail -c devuan
devuan: created
ELF binary type "0" not known.
ELF binary type "0" not known.
jail: devuan: exec /etc/init.d/rc: Exec format error
jail: devuan: /etc/init.d/rc 3: failed
devuan: removed

am looking for a fix.

A similar error was solved in this thread:

Perhaps it provides also some help here...

A similar error was solved in this thread:

Perhaps it provides also some help here...

Thanks it's worked.

Here is my fstab.antix, please note I mounted more file systems than you for my AntiX to work happily:

Code:
linprocfs       /antix/proc  linprocfs       rw,late 0 0
linsysfs        /antix/sys   linsysfs        rw,late 0 0
tmpfs           /antix/tmp   tmpfs   rw,late,mode=1777 0 0
tmpfs           /antix/run   tmpfs   rw,late,mode=1777 0 0
/home/username  /antix/home/username nullfs rw,late 0 0

Note: /antix is my AntiX jail's root. I created inside a jail a user with the same name, id and gid as a user I have on the host to use nullfs() to share the user's home dir.

Code:
I have no name!@marietto:/# apt-get update

Get:1 http://deb.devuan.org/merged stable InRelease [33.9 kB]
Get:2 http://deb.devuan.org/merged stable/main amd64 Packages [8309 kB]
Get:3 http://deb.devuan.org/merged stable/main Translation-en [6482 kB]
Fetched 14.8 MB in 1min 3s (236 kB/s)                                   
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room. Please increase the size of APT::Cache-St
art. Current value: 25165824. (man 5 apt.conf)
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Error occurred while processing php-symfony-messenger (NewVersion2)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/deb.devuan.org_merged_dists_s
table_main_binary-amd64_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Code:
I have no name!@marietto:/# apt-get update

Get:1 http://deb.devuan.org/merged stable InRelease [33.9 kB]
Get:2 http://deb.devuan.org/merged stable/main amd64 Packages [8309 kB]
Get:3 http://deb.devuan.org/merged stable/main Translation-en [6482 kB]
Fetched 14.8 MB in 1min 3s (236 kB/s)                                 
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Error occurred while processing php-symfony-messenger (NewVersion2)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/deb.devuan.org_merged_dists_s
table_main_binary-amd64_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Code:
echo "APT::Cache-Start 251658240;" > path/to/the/jail/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00aptitude

Solved my issue

I'm trying this and other flavors (Ubuntu, Alpine, Arch) however, all of them don't have /etc/init.d/rc script to be used in jail configuration (including Debian):

Code:
    exec.start = "/etc/init.d/rc 3";
    exec.stop = "/etc/init.d/rc 0";

Errors:

Code:
Starting jails: cannot start jail  "Test-Jail":
jail: Test-Jail: exec /etc/init.d/rc: No such file or directory
jail: Test-Jail: /etc/init.d/rc 3: failed

I think there was similar ask in beginning of this post but still don't have solution. Would anyone please share your recommendation or did I miss certain step? TIA

I'm trying this and other flavors (Ubuntu, Alpine, Arch) however, all of them don't have /etc/init.d/rc script to be used in jail configuration (including Debian):

Code:
    exec.start = "/etc/init.d/rc 3";
    exec.stop = "/etc/init.d/rc 0";

Errors:

Code:
Starting jails: cannot start jail  "Test-Jail":
jail: Test-Jail: exec /etc/init.d/rc: No such file or directory
jail: Test-Jail: /etc/init.d/rc 3: failed

I think there was similar ask in beginning of this post but still don't have solution. Would anyone please share your recommendation or did I miss certain step? TIA

If I don't get wrong,you should use Devuan.

Back