Setting up a (Debian) Linux jail on FreeBSD

Hi gang!

Prerequisites: I am assuming that you know how to install software on FreeBSD and also have some basic understanding about FreeBSD jails.

Editorial

I'm going to be very honest here: I started disliking Linux for a while, and I've worked with it for a long time. For various reasons, but one of them being that it has turned into a commercial company driven project (you do realize that RedHat and Canonical (= company behind Ubuntu) are enterprise sized companies, right?). Arguments? Simple: systemd. A piece of shit software service which goes directly against the Unix philosophy and worse yet: makes Linux pretty much incompatible with others (you'll see later on). Isn't it annoying that because of projects like systemd (and several other changes) many people can't keep up with those developments anymore and need extra study or training? How convenient that RedHat also happens to be one of the bigger companies which provides Linux training! And no: not for free of course ;) There's a good reason why IBM bought them.

However...

Despite my dislike I'm also the first to acknowledge all the effort that goes into those projects. And although I definitely have my (bias) ideas about stuff such as systemd (and the distributions using it) fact of the matter is that many don't have a choice. Also: many projects are still the inclusive distributions they always were. Debian still gives life to many derivatives for example. And well, even Linux can be somewhat fun ;)

1 - Linux compatibility
FreeBSD actually has a Linux compatibility layer which allows it to run Linux (ELF) binaries without a problem. Keep in mind though that this isn't full proof, but many things can be made to work without issues. You're going to need 2 things: support in the kernel and a userland to provide optionally required libraries (the latter isn't needed for the jail but I'd still install it anyway in case you're also going to use this setup for more purposes).

Kernel modules
If you run a GENERIC kernel then you already have everything you need. If you run a more customized kernel (like I do) then you'll need to make sure that it supports these kernel modules:
  • linux.ko & linux64.ko; Speaks for itself, right?
  • linux_common.ko; This one should also be an obvious one.
  • linprocfs.ko; Although FreeBSD doesn't use /proc filesystem by default you can set this up if you want to. Linux on the other hand needs /proc to be present and to make matters worse it'll also work somewhat differently than FreeBSD does things. This module will take care of that.
  • linsysfs.ko; When you build a FreeBSD base environment you'll end up with /usr/obj/usr/src which basically contains the binary structure which you build. On FreeBSD you can remove this if you want but Linux actually keeps ties into those binaries & libraries whenever you build the kernel. On Linux /sys often links to /usr/src/linux/sys (from the top of my head, I could be slightly off but the argument is fully correct). So how to cope with that? Well, that's what this module is for, it'll simulate the effect.
  • linuxkpi.ko; As far as I know this one simulates the Kernel Programming Interface, but I have no idea what this exactly does. However, when I check /usr/src/sys/modules/linuxkpi/Makefile then my theory quickly becomes that this module provides access to the Linux hardware layer. So if a program tries to access USB, PCI or even a Linux kernel module then this is the FreeBSD kernel module which handles all that.
  • fdescfs.ko; A file descriptor provides a method for a program to communicate with the OS. Good examples are stdin, stdout and stderr. And you guessed it: there is a difference between Linux & FreeBSD which is what this kernel module will solve.
  • tmpfs.ko; Chances are high that your system already uses this but because it's still a requirement I'm listing it nonetheless. tmpfs is basically what used to be a ramdrive on DOS & Windows: a space in memory which is reserved to be used as a temporary filesystem. This is often used to provide /tmp and/or /var/tmp.
You don't have to worry about loading all these modules yourself, just let the system handle that by adding:
Code:
linux_enable="YES"
... to your /etc/rc.conf file. And there's also the issue of FreeBSD being able to dynamically load kernel modules whenever it needs one.

Userland
Linux binaries often have specific dependencies on libraries (and maybe other binaries) in which case you'll need some kind of userland which is what emulators/linux_base-c7 can provide. This will install a CentOS userland within the /compat/linux directory structure. Don't worry, it won't be a resource hog; on my system the (uncompressed) ZFS filesystem uses up around 254Mb.

Congratulations, you are now Linux compatible! ;)

2 - Adding a full Linux userland
But which Linux? See, there is a problem...

As you may (or should!) know a Jail is nothing more but a FreeBSD userland which gets started by the kernel. You can even make it 'do' stuff by having the kernel initialize your rc.d structure: sh /etc/rc (see also ports(7)). On Linux we'd normally have /etc/init.d/rc at our disposal but guess what? systemd didn't only take over the init process, nooo that wasn't good enough: it's also spreading its tentacles into other areas such as the booting structure and mounting options itself. On most Linux environments /etc/fstab is simply a systemd emulation.

And although the FreeBSD Linux compatibility layer can do a lot, it's not perfect. Crapola like systemd doesn't properly run on it for example (which I actually consider a pro :sssh:).

Fortunately there are still plenty of people who grasp and still honor the ideology which Linux once stood for and one of those projects is Devuan. What's Devuan? It's a Debian derivative which does not include systemd so we'll be fully able to use this as a Jail just fine.

So why all this interest for Debian even though we already have a CentOS userland you ask? Two reasons: Although /compat/linux does indeed provide a userland it's not complete. It was set up to emulate, not fully simulate. So don't expect an init.d structure.

But the second reason is much cooler... See: Debian's package system is, in my humble opinion, superior by design (within the context of Linux!). It's really neatly set up and unlike RPM it's even doable (though still a bit of a drag) to maintain your own packages. Something which you might want to do if you prefer to build your own software. Debian's packages are provided as both binaries and source, how convenient is that?

And they didn't stop there.. Eventually they created debootstrap which does just what the name implies: it will grab all the packages needed for a base system and set that up. So to get to the finale of this exciting build up: it has even been included in the FreeBSD ports collection as: sysutils/debootstrap, now that is cool I think. So quickly install this critter because we're going to need it!

Bootstrapping Devuan
If you're using ZFS then I strongly suggest to set up a dedicated filesystem. At the very least this will help you to keep track of the space your jail(s) are consuming:
Code:
zfpeter@zefiris:/home/peter $ zfs list -r zroot/opt/jails
NAME                     USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
zroot/opt/jails         1.32G  88.4M   162M  /opt/jails
zroot/opt/jails/devuan   262M  28.9G   262M  /opt/jails/devuan
zroot/opt/jails/psi      928M  28.9G   928M  /opt/jails/psi
This can also help for security measures, but that's beyond the scope of this guide. So, as seen above we'll be using /opt/jails/devuan in my examples.

Devuan is deviously clever ;) See; every Debian distribution has a specific name. Debian's latest (at the time of writing!) is stretch whereas Devuan is called ascii. Now, the "problem" is that debootstrap uses scripts of the same name to help it separate between the distributions. And ascii isn't the same as stretch. Fortunately for us Devuan also honors the Debian standard distribution names: stable, testing and unstable. And unlike on FreeBSD Stable is honestly just that ;)

Sidenote: Yes, I am aware that you can also specify an individual script when using debootstrap, but I like to keep things as simple as possible.

Important: We're going to perform the bootstrap process in 2 stages. Why? debootstrap can set up the hierarchy, but it won't be able to utilize things such as linprocfs or linsysfs, so we're going to have to set that up ourselves.
Code:
root@zefiris:/home/peter # debootstrap --foreign --arch=amd64 stable /opt/jails/devuan http://deb.devuan.org/merged/
W: Cannot check Release signature; keyring file not available /usr/share/keyrings/debian-archive-keyring.gpg
I: Retrieving InRelease
I: Retrieving Packages
I: Validating Packages
I: Resolving dependencies of required packages...
I: Resolving dependencies of base packages...
C'mon, doesn't this make your geekish powerlevels raise to beyond Super Saiyan levels? o_O I dub this the devu-ascii-ha, but don't worry: yelling is not required ;)

Anyway, this will process quite a list. What is happening is that debootstrap is retrieving all the packages that make up the Devuan base system and places those in our jail directory after which it'll extract them.

Jail preparations
Depending on your system this is probably going to take a while so now would be a good time to start preparing our upcoming jail by setting up our upcoming special Linux filesystems. Create a file called /etc/fstab.devuan and add the following:
Code:
$ cat /etc/fstab.devuan                                                         
## Mountpoint(s) for the Devuan jail
# Dev   Mountpoint      FS              Options         Dump / Check

linprocfs       /opt/jails/devuan/proc  linprocfs       rw,late 0 0
linsysfs        /opt/jails/devuan/sys   linsysfs        rw,late 0 0
tmpfs           /opt/jails/devuan/tmp   tmpfs   rw,late,mode=1777 0 0
If you're using ZFS like I do then you're going to need late because otherwise these filesystems will get mounted before ZFS is ready (in which case only your root filesystem would be available). Otherwise you obviously don't have to worry.

Around this time the first stage of debootstrap should be ready and I urge you to look around in your new Devuan environment. Points of interest:
  • ./debootstrap; this is where the native 'binary' got placed, but also where you'll find debootstrap.log (as created by 'our' version) which shows you exactly what the system did.
  • ./etc/init.d/rc; no systemd crapola for us! This is the key to booting our upcoming jail.
  • ./root; I share a lot of criticism towards Linux so I also think it's important to give credit where credit's due: setting /root to 700 is in my opinion a solid option. No intruders, especially not during these early stages.
  • ./var/cache/apt/archives; and this is where our new software collection resides ;)
The finishing touch
Since we're here anyway we can now mount some required directories for the next stage:
Code:
root@zefiris:/opt/jails/devuan # mount -F /etc/fstab.devuan `pwd`/sys
root@zefiris:/opt/jails/devuan # mount -F /etc/fstab.devuan `pwd`/proc
root@zefiris:/opt/jails/devuan # mount -F /etc/fstab.devuan `pwd`/tmp
root@zefiris:/opt/jails/devuan # mount -t devfs none dev
root@zefiris:/opt/jails/devuan # chroot . /bin/bash
I have no name!@zefiris:/#
So now we've "started" what I'd like to call the "shadow jail". Unfortunately we can't use debootstrap again to perform the second stage because it'll try to create devices (= assumption on my end) which isn't supported. And don't be fooled: despite having a bit of a userland we actually got nothing, the only thing debootstrap did was extract some packages. But we also want those packages to get registered so that we can fully utilize dpkg:
Code:
I have no name!@zefiris:/# dpkg --force-depends -i /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb
Selecting previously unselected package adduser.
(Reading database ... 0 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../archives/adduser_3.115_all.deb ...
Unpacking adduser (3.115) ...
Selecting previously unselected package apt-utils.
Preparing to unpack .../apt-utils_1.4.8_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking apt-utils (1.4.8) ...
This will take a while and you'll see plenty of warnings pass your screen, you can safely ignore those for now. Another advantage here is that packages don't only get installed, they get configured as well. Get ready to specify your timezone.

Inconsistent (but usable) state
Now, you're probably going to end up with a few error messages. As I mentioned earlier Linux compatibility isn't perfect:
Code:
Setting up sysvinit-core (2.88dsf-59.9+devuan2) ...
cp: preserving permissions for '/etc/inittab': No data available
dpkg: error processing package sysvinit-core (--install):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
base-files
debianutils
libc-bin
readline-common
sysvinit-core
But keep well in mind: just because there were errors doesn't mean the package didn't got installed:
Code:
I have no name!@zefiris:/# dpkg -l base-files
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
iF  base-files     9.9+devuan2. all          Devuan base system miscellaneous
I have no name!@zefiris:/#
This package is somewhat alright, but make sure to run: # dpkg --configure --pending, this will sort out other left over issues. Now normally you'll only end up with 2 errors and there's little we can do about them:
Code:
Setting up sysvinit-core (2.88dsf-59.9+devuan2) ...
sysvinit: creating /run/initctl
mv: cannot move '/dev/initctl.new' to '/dev/initctl': Operation not supported
dpkg: error processing package sysvinit-core (--configure):
Setting up base-files (9.9+devuan2.5) ...
cp: preserving permissions for '/root/.profile': No data available
dpkg: error processing package base-files (--configure):
sysvinit-core
base-files
There really isn't much which we can do here but all in all the 'damage' isn't too bad:
Code:
I have no name!@zefiris:~# dpkg -l | grep -v ii
||/ Name                          Version                            Architecture Description
+++-=============================-==================================-============-========================================================================
iF  base-files                    9.9+devuan2.5                      all          Devuan base system miscellaneous files
rF  sysvinit-core                 2.88dsf-59.9+devuan2               amd64        System-V-like init utilities
See? Only 2 packages which have a problem. However: the r status on sysvinit isn't good, try and force a re-install if you see this: # dpkg --force-all -i /var/cache/apt/archives/sysvinit-core*. The status you want for both packages is iF. Because once you have that then you'll still run into warnings whenever you install another package (during its configure stage) but your installation won't fail because of it.

Speaking of which... do you know why a FreeBSD base system is far superior than a Devuan Linux base system?
Code:
I have no name!@zefiris:~# man dpkg
bash: man: command not found
However, you can fix this by running: # apt-get install man-db. This will also be a good test to see if your system is in a usable status. Keep in mind that building the database of manualpages is going to take a while. Another con of Linux in my opinion: it creates the database immediately when you install the package instead of leaving it up to the user to decide when (I forgot about this detail and now it messes up the timing for my guide :eek:).

3 - Setting up the jail
So now that we have our Devuan environment setup it's time to actually use it within FreeBSD. Edit /etc/jail.conf and add this section:
Code:
devuan {
        host.hostname = "devuan.jail";
        interface = lo0;
        ip4.addr = 127.0.0.5;
        path = /opt/jails/devuan;
        exec.start = "/etc/init.d/rc 3";
        exec.stop = "/etc/init.d/rc 0";
        persist;

mount.devfs;
        mount.fstab = /etc/fstab.devuan;

allow.mount;
        allow.mount.devfs;
}
You can do this in two ways. Instead of lo0 you could also use your public network interface and assign a 'real' IP address, I used this approach with my Psi jail because it made things easier on me. However, I don't trust Linux anymore (especially after all those details which surfaced about Ubuntu adding numerous "phone home" options, all opt-out obviously), so no way that I'll allow it network access "just like that". Ergo: setup on localhost which means that you'll need to set up a NAT solution on your firewall which will allow your Linux jail access to your network.

My reasoning is simple: if you really need quick access then you can always rely on chroot for now, just as I did earlier.

When this is done then all you have to do is fire up the jail: # jail -c devuan, and to get onto the console: # jexec devuan /bin/bash.

4 - Summing up
  • Set up Linux compatibility. Usually you only have to add: linux_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf.
  • Optionally set up a dedicated section for your jail. When using ZFS then creating a new dedicated filesystem is definitely a good idea.
  • Install sysutils/debootstrap.
  • Bootstrap your system: # debootstrap --foreign --arch=amd64 stable /path/to/jail http://deb.devuan.org/merged/
    • Obviously replace amd64 for i386 on 32bit machines!
  • Mount linux file systems, for best results add these to a dedicated "jail fstab" like /etc/fstab.devuan.
    • # mount -t linprocfs none /path/to/jail/proc
    • # mount -t linsysfs none /path/to/jail/sys
    • # mount -t tmpfs none /path/to/jail/tmp
  • Enter your new system to finish up:
    • # chroot /path/to/jail /bin/bash
    • # dpkg --force-depends -i /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb
    • # dpkg --configure --pending
  • Make sure that only base-files and sysvinit-core are partially configured: # dpkg -l | grep -v ^ii.
    • Their status should be iF.
    • If there is a problem try to forcefully reinstall the package: # dpkg --force-all -i /path/to/package.
  • Check that everything works by installing a package: # apt-get install man-db.
  • Set up your jail by adding the following to /etc/jail.conf:
Code:
devuan {
        host.hostname = "devuan.jail";
        interface = lo0;
        ip4.addr = 127.0.0.5;
        path = /path/to/jail;
        exec.start = "/etc/init.d/rc 3";
        exec.stop = "/etc/init.d/rc 0";
        persist;

mount.devfs;
        mount.fstab = /etc/fstab.devuan;

allow.mount;
        allow.mount.devfs;
}
  • Start your new jail using: # jail -c devuan.
  • Access the console using # jexec devuan /bin/bash.
  • Enjoy!
And there you have it....

Best of both worlds, what's there not to like?

Two things I found out:

1. to allow the linux userland to allocate PTYs, load the pty(4) driver (needed e.g. for running an ssh daemon in the jail)

2. some scripts fail because cp -p isn't working inside the jail. Quick and dirty workaround: replace /bin/cp in the jail with /rescue/cp from the FreeBSD base.

With these changes, I managed to fully configure all devuan packages :)

Hey all.

Thanks for this thread, it helps me to understand better how chroot and jails works, but unfortunately I couldn't set it up. With Devian, the problem is when I tries to use apt-get, it always throws me an error about cache:

E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room. Please increase the size of APT::Cache-Start. Current value: 25165824. (man 5 apt.conf)

I'm able to use `apt-get ` under chroot? Or should I use only at jails? (I made it before with lots of warnings, but works. don't know why I cant anymore :/)

I've tried the same with debian. It runs well, i reach almost the same step, but at the end it does not find `/etc/init.d/rc`. Hoping that anyone could help me. Anyone knows how to proceed?

tnks!

With Devian, the problem is when I tries to use apt-get, it always throws me an error about cache:

E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room. Please increase the size of APT::Cache-Start. Current value: 25165824. (man 5 apt.conf)
Devian? Uhm, Debian or Devuan? Anyways, apt running out of cache space is probably not related to it running in a chroot or jail. The messsage shows your cache size starts (!) at 25MB, which should be more than enough for a "normal" list of repositories. So, did you add a lot of stuff to your /etc/apt/sources.list? If so, just follow the advice of the error message (you might have to create an apt.conf file yourself). If not, something on your system might be corrupted, and you might for example try to clean out /var/lib/apt/lists/ and do apt-get update to fetch the lists again. Most probably this has all nothing to do with FreeBSD.

I'm able to use `apt-get ` under chroot? Or should I use only at jails?
Shouldn't matter either. It's just safer to do stuff in a jail than chroot, chroot only protects from accessing files outside the tree, nothing else. E.g. I accidentally shut down my machine running some command in a chroot with a devuan userland -- this wouldn't be possible when running in a jail.

Devian? Uhm, Debian or Devuan?

Debian, lol. The last try, at least.

So, did you add a lot of stuff to your /etc/apt/sources.list? If so, just follow the advice of the error message (you might have to create an apt.conf file yourself).

I didn't see that `man 5 apt.conf` at the end. Anw, I changed it like you say and it's moving on... Now my problem is with apt-get, seems that it doesn't have a signed key (?) and I can't install openssh-server for some reason... anw I'll try to solve that, but everything seems to work good now.

my problem is with apt-get, seems that it doesn't have a signed key (?)
Install the appropriate keyring package (e.g. apt-get install devuan-keyring --allow-unauthenticated on devuan) to solve this. Again, this has nothing to do with FreeBSD, just basic usage of signed APT repositories.

Thanks Zirias.
I have followed your guide and another I found online.
I can't use the jail. Here is the error I get:
Code:
# dpkg -l | grep -v ^ii                                        
||/ Name                          Version                            Architecture Description
+++-=============================-==================================-============-========================================================================    
iF  base-files                    9.9+devuan2.5                      all      
  Devuan base system miscellaneous files

Edited: Not technically an error. But that is why my installation hangs. I have tried several options but no luck.

This command "debootstrap --foreign --arch=amd64 stable /opt/jails/devuan http://deb.devuan.org/merged/" ends here:
Code:
I: Validating tzdata 2019a-0+deb9u1
I: Validating util-linux 2.29.2-1+devuan2.1
I: Validating vim-common 2:8.0.0197-4+deb9u1
I: Validating vim-tiny 2:8.0.0197-4+deb9u1
I: Validating wget 1.18-5+deb9u3
I: Validating whiptail 0.52.19-1+b1
I: Validating xxd 2:8.0.0197-4+deb9u1
I: Validating zlib1g 1:1.2.8.dfsg-5
I: Chosen extractor for .deb packages: ar

This command "debootstrap --foreign --arch=amd64 stable /opt/jails/devuan http://deb.devuan.org/merged/" ends here:
Code:
I: Validating tzdata 2019a-0+deb9u1
I: Validating util-linux 2.29.2-1+devuan2.1
I: Validating vim-common 2:8.0.0197-4+deb9u1
I: Validating vim-tiny 2:8.0.0197-4+deb9u1
I: Validating wget 1.18-5+deb9u3
I: Validating whiptail 0.52.19-1+b1
I: Validating xxd 2:8.0.0197-4+deb9u1
I: Validating zlib1g 1:1.2.8.dfsg-5
I: Chosen extractor for .deb packages: ar
Problem with file system(zfs). I have fixed it; so simple.

Can anyone please tell me how to start the jail?
Code:
 # jail -c devuan
devuan: created
jail: devuan: getpwnam: No such file or directory
jail: devuan: /etc/init.d/rc 3: failed
devuan: removed

# ezjail-admin start devuan
Starting jails:/etc/rc.d/jail: WARNING: /var/run/jail.devuan.conf is created and used for jail devuan.
 cannot start jail  "devuan":
jail: devuan: getpwnam root: No such file or directory
/etc/rc.d/jail: WARNING: Per-jail configuration via jail_* variables  is obsolete.  Please consider migrating to /etc/jail.conf.
Error: Could not start servdevuan.
  You need to start it by hand.
I prefer using ezjail for now though.

Can anyone please tell me how to start the jail?
Code:
# jail -c devuan
devuan: created
jail: devuan: getpwnam: No such file or directory
devuan: removed

I had the same issue. My understanding is that passwd database is missing.
Using command from https://blog.protocolsyntax.com/2017/06/09/debian-7-wheezy-installation-in-freebsd-10-jail/ fixed problem for me.
Code:
cat /usr/jails/linux/etc/passwd | sed -r 's/(:[x|*]:)([0-9]+:[0-9]+:)/:*:\2:0:0:/g' > /usr/jails/linux/etc/master.passwd
pwd_mkdb -p -d /usr/jails/linux/etc /usr/jails/linux/etc/master.passwd

I can start and get into it now but now shows this error:
Code:
Get:11 http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged ascii/main amd64 libglib2.0-data all 2.50.3-2 [2517 kB]
Get:12 http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged ascii/main amd64 shared-mime-info amd64 1.8-1+deb9u1 [731 kB]
Get:13 http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged ascii/main amd64 xdg-user-dirs amd64 0.15-2+b1 [52.2 kB]
Get:14 http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged ascii/main amd64 xml-core all 0.17 [23.2 kB]
Fetched 15.9 MB in 20s (763 kB/s)     
E: Can not write log (Is /dev/pts mounted?) - posix_openpt (2: No such file or directory)
rmdir: failed to remove '/var/run': Directory not empty
dpkg: error processing package base-files (--configure):
 base-files
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

It comes up for every apt-get upgrade/install.

I have this fstab config:
Code:
$ cat /etc/fstab.devuan                                                         
## Mountpoint(s) for the Devuan jail
# Dev   Mountpoint      FS              Options         Dump / Check

linprocfs       /opt/jails/devuan/proc  linprocfs       rw,late 0 0
linsysfs        /opt/jails/devuan/sys   linsysfs        rw,late 0 0
tmpfs           /opt/jails/devuan/tmp   tmpfs   rw,late,mode=1777 0 0

I do not see so much about this error
Code:
E: Can not write log (Is /dev/pts mounted?) - posix_openpt (2: No such file or directory)
rmdir: failed to remove '/var/run': Directory not empty
online.

debootstrap --foreign --arch=i386 stable /opt/jails/devuan http://deb.devuan.org/merged/
First steps are fine,
# dpkg -l | grep -v ii
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
iF base-files 9.9+devuan2.5 all Devuan base system miscellaneous files
iF sysvinit-core 2.88dsf-59.9+devuan2 amd64 System-V-like init utilities

>But then,
# apt-get install man-db
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Unable to locate package man-db

Starting the jail and logging in works but no networking.
But i cannot ping it.
ping: socket: Protocol not supported

Yet in sysctl i have,
security.jail.allow_raw_sockets=1

First of all i need to get ping local address work.
ifconfig lo1
lo1: flags=4169<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
inet 192.168.2.77 netmask 255.255.255.255

netstat -rn
/proc/net/route: No such file or directory
INET (IPv4) not configured in this system.

route add default gw 192.168.1.1 lo1
SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument

Bummer!

I might try other "2.6.32 kernel" distributions. I took the centos DVD and extracted all packages, now /compat/linux/usr/bin contains 5688 files. wget works fine. ping does not work because of "linux capabilities".
iocage should also allow to install a linux distribution but it depends on zfs.
Someone should do something with ezjail for linux ...

So now we've "started" what I'd like to call the "shadow jail". Unfortunately we can't use debootstrap again to perform the second stage because it'll try to create devices (= assumption on my end) which isn't supported. And don't be fooled: despite having a bit of a userland we actually got nothing, the only thing debootstrap did was extract some packages. But we also want those packages to get registered so that we can fully utilize dpkg:

Thanks for this very informative post. I am in the middle of an installation of Devuan. Has anyone actually tried to use phase 2 of debootstrap at this point?

Last time I head that dude that developed it, he came back from wherever he disappeared to. I too think he was a *BSD developer and that Void is created off some of that idealism. From what the write up on it says. I have used it, and its a nice distro.

There support is on FreeNode... (hexchat) mostly.

I tried to install Devuan Stable (ASCII = Debian 9.9) and Devuan Testing (Beowulf = Debian 10) to my FreeBSD 12-p10
Devuan Stable (ASCII) installed and started without problem, how I understand SysVinit Stable (ASCII) compatible with Linux kernel 2.6.
Devuan Stable (ASCII) installed without problem, but didn't starting and write error message "Kernel to old" how I understand Devuan Testing compatible with Linux kernel 2.8.
The earlier Linuxator version contained uname command, which show Linux kernel version for Linuxator, but this command dissaperared.
But other hand Doclker and other Linux container virtualization system haven't newest images for Debian (for example versions Debian - 7, 8) and others linux distros.

My previous post has one error ( mistake ctl+c and ctl+v) - Devuan Testing Beowulf installed but didn't started - error message Kernel to old

Back