Solved Second monitor is not detected after switching to vt and back

This is a desktop system with Nvidia Quadro K2200 running FreeBSD 11.0-STABLE.

The main monitor connected to DVI, the second one to DP. After switching from X to console by pressing Ctr-Alt-Fx the second monitor turns off (I don't care much about it), but when I return back to X it's not detected anymore. Cycling its power or re-plugging the cable doesn't help.

Thanks for advises and directions.

Does xrandr detect your second monitor after you have switched back to Xorg? Or is it missing from xrandr's output?

No, xrandr didn't show it.
Moreover, restarting X didn't help either!
I did not see anything in logs, however, after restarting X several times I got:
Code:
$ dmesg
NVRM: GPU at PCI:0000:02:00: GPU-ab938ff1-e040-fb6e-766f-a40885fde38b                                                                                                                                                                         
NVRM: GPU Board Serial Number: 0423416023252                                                                                                                                                                                                 
NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:02:00): 13, Graphics Exception: Shader Program Header 11 Error                                                                                                                                                           
NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:02:00): 13, Graphics Exception: Shader Program Header 18 Error                                                                                                                                                           
NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:02:00): 13, Graphics Exception: ESR 0x405840=0xa0040800                                                                                                                                                                   
NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:02:00): 13, Graphics Exception: ChID 0008, Class 0000b097, Offset 00000100, Data 0fffcc0
I couldn't restart the machine, so continued working with one monitor. Guess what then? After 4-5 hours the second monitor has been suddenly detected by xrandr (I ran it from time to time)!

Do you see an interesting messages in dmesg or /var/log/messages that corresponds with the time that xrandr starting showing your second monitor? Perhaps the nVidia card CPU / engine was hung and got restarted by the driver?
IME, some nVidia cards and / or drivers have problems with more than one monitor; two monitors work, but the way they work are not consistent, that makes them a bit unreliable to work with.
(Or gfx cards / chipsets might have similar issues, but I have less experience with dual monitors on them).

Do you see an interesting messages in dmesg or /var/log/messages that corresponds with the time that xrandr starting showing your second monitor?
No, nothing was reported.

I guess, it was a kernel or nvidia driver bug. I've upgraded my system from 11.0-STABLE to 11.1-RELEASE and everything works as expected.

Back